Jony Ive Talks Design, Steve Jobs, Future Tech and More on Stage at TechFest 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

Marketing!! They DEFINITELY are the best at this. Seriously.

2. MadeMyDay, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

MadeMyDay macrumors regular

MadeMyDay

“Apple executives have said several times that Apple's products are designed for people and not for profit, a sentiment that Ive echoed in his interview.”

Repeat this phrase often enough and it just might become reality. It worked for Dorothy when she clicked her heels together.

Is a digital Pencil that stabs you in the chest when charging “for the people?” Are single-port iPhones and laptops “for the people?” Is an iPod Nano with a wristband and cellular that lasts an hour “for the people?” Apple is living at a time when every product in the lineup has at least one serious design flaw. A time when there are an equal number of lovers and haters of every new release.

What’s on the horizon? The most expensive iMac ever manufactured with no user-upgradable parts. An iPhone with a camera array that blocks the screen. How is it that Ive doesn’t see these things?

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Meanwhile many of those companies still emulate and create devices to compete with Apple announces or ships.

In the same way Apple learns from others and improved their products.

Look at the entire iPod line. There were always better products with superior audio, storage space, and later, industrial design. Apple led nothing there yet had the most successful MP3 player in history.

I can't think of a time where Apple was ever the best in the regard to tech, or innovation. It's how it's all put together into a singular package. Something on its own that Google, Microsoft and even Samsung are working to do today.

4. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

That’s not what I got when I read all his quotes. To me he’s talking about ideas, not a finished product.

5. LordVic macrumors 601

Apple's strength, especially during the iPod era was how they managed to create an MP3 player, that had a good ecosystem, that was also not "geeky". Prior to the iPod, there were many other mp3 players, but they lived in the realm of "geek"

it was through Apples combined design efforts of the iPod, the ecosystem they built around it (Itunes) and then extremely powerful marketing that gave Apple the kickstart to recover and become the juggernaught it is today. (that and opening up the iPod 3rd gen to Windows)

6. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

That old fairy tale, why do folks believe this stuff? What do Apple sell in the 100’s of millions aside from phones? Apple sells pretty modest volumes in their other lines. Is this really the reason the the Macs and the Mac Mini are so stale - they’re waiting for some new tech? Have they really been waiting all those years for OLED screens because they have been available in the 100’s of millions, since the very first galaxy phone? The only thing they wait for is the price of components to come down enough so they charge what they need for them.

7. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Why is that a big deal? You can always dress that up with faux bezels. If you have physical bezels, you can't expand the viewable area. Besides, the notch will be a defining element of the iPhone's design for years to come and stand out amongst the sea of generic looking Android phones.

8. Morgenland macrumors regular

Morgenland

I assume that about 90% of MR-readers have some assumptions what might come soon. You are definitively not one of us.

9. Duane Martin, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

Duane Martin macrumors 6502

Duane Martin

Wow! Really? A real person couldn't have written this, this must be a 'bot. Otherwise, shame on you. I pity the person who would call you "friend".
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    What? How is it the same phone? Oh, right, it makes calls, takes pictures, and is roughly rectangular. So I am guessing everyone makes the same phone? Because when I look at the iPhone over 4 years the cameras have regularly improved, back and front; the CPU and GPU have moved leaps and bounds (while continuing to be industry leading); the screens have gotten better; the audio has gotten better; they are more water resistant; etc, etc, etc. Same phone my 4$$.

10. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Yeah, maybe you did get that when you read all his quotes. I don't see how, but maybe you did. My quote? The one you replied to earlier? That one wasn't about "all his quotes". It was about a specific quote that related to the yearly updated products. Not sure why you used my quote to encapsulate your thoughts about all of his quotes.

11. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

So you took a single quote out of context to try and make a point?

12. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Schiller at the very end looks like the kid that gets picked last to be on someone’s team

13. predation macrumors 6502a

It's called NO F&$* GIVEN.

14. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Are we on macrumors or TMZ? There’s no way I can read this without hearing it in a whiny valley girl voice

15. predation macrumors 6502a

this is what Hyundai does.

16. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Maybe you need to go back and read the article. What I wrote was contextually 100% accurate. Ive was talking about products. He was talking about products in the paragraph I quoted, the one before that, the one before that, and the one before that. So yeah, I took a single quote. Was it out of context? Absolutely not. Try again.

17. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

You know what, I actually agree with you. I think it's time to have new generation of people with creativity to take that leadership.

18. m4mario macrumors newbie

m4mario

In user satisfaction on every single category they are in, they are either number 1, or at least right near the top.

And in number of people criticizing their every move, they are right at number 1.

19. Mactendo macrumors 68000

That explains the results... He'd better focus on the product.

20. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

I did read it. I also read the BI one and the Twitter feed. It seems obvious to me he’s talking about ideas/concepts more than an actual single product.

21. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

In general European style is a bit horrid but American style appears to be moving more and more in that direction regardless.

22. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

Look at the entire iPod line. There were always better products with superior audio, storage space, and later, industrial design. Apple led nothing there yet had the most successful MP3 player in history.

I can't think of a time where Apple was ever the best in the regard to tech, or innovation. It's how it's all put together into a singular package. Something on its own that Google, Microsoft and even Samsung are working to do today.[/QUOTE]
    you are right about that. As far as I can see is Apple isn’t the only one doing it anymore and everybody is mimicking Apple’s approach. Some are very good at it, some not. But the The last 5 years Apple is getting really slow perfecting its hard- and software. It’s not a nimble company anymore. And seeing the size of the company and the few categories they’re focusing on it’s unbelievable how little progress is being made.

Companies like Microsoft, google, amazon, Samsung and lots of other Chinese vendors are delivering very good solutions these days at twice the speed.

23. oliversl macrumors 65816

Jony is the most awkward Apple executive in public performances.

24. KB24Slam macrumors member

KB24Slam

Agree 100%