Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkho

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
I'm a developer. I went one SSD tier short of maxing out the 15" (1TB instead of 2). This is going to be an awesome machine. It's not going to be my primary -- that's my maxed-out 5K iMac. We each have different reasons for wanting/not wanting one, but to think that nobody should buy one is just incredibly short sighted.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Backwards. Send them message TO make the best product possible and be truly innovative. Form follows function. We can stop with this BS race to be the thinnest laptop
Actually he has a point. If Apple can't generate a profit for their efforts they've shown theyll just cancel the devices altogether. Then we are back to a situation where no innovation is going on with computers for like 7 years.

At least now we have people trying their hardest to compete and there isn't a race to the bottom in terms of pricing. I think this is healthy for all of us. It encourages innovation even if the innovations are small.

The smaller innovations lead to the bigger innovations over time. The touch bar is testing ground for the next round MacBook/iOS innovations. They also move the needle forward for everyone else who will undoubtedly be inspired by what Apple has done here.

Reactions: SBruv

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Actually he has a point. If Apple can't generate a profit for their efforts they've shown theyll just cancel the devices altogether. Then we are back to a situation where no innovation is going on with computers for like 7 years.

At least now we have people trying their hardest to compete and there isn't a race to the bottom in terms of pricing. I think this is healthy for all of us. It encourages innovation even if the innovations are small.

The smaller innovations lead to the bigger innovations over time. The touch bar is testing ground for the next round MacBook/iOS innovations. They also move the needle forward for everyone else who will undoubtedly be inspired by what Apple has done here.
Hey man...i appreciate your passion. But you sound like me a year ago. Since then, i've been beaten to death emotionally by all these crappy presentations and apple dropping the ball on this and that. After each one i said "it'll get better! It's apple we're talking about". And then again and again and again they under deliver.

I remember when i thought the WWDC keynote would be huge for ipad. I mean...right? After they touted the ipad replacing your laptop and now its a "pro", there is surely going to be major software enhancements! Then it came...no new features for iPads. IN A YEAR OF WORKING ON IOS.

So...i dont know. I think right now we're on different wave lengths and i wouldnt be surprised if at some point after apple screws up a couple more keynotes and product launches, if you start getting a little bit cynical too. We'll see

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Hey man...i appreciate your passion. But you sound like me a year ago. Since then, i've been beaten to death emotionally by all these crappy presentations and apple dropping the ball on this and that. After each one i said "it'll get better! It's apple we're talking about". And then again and again and again they under deliver.

I remember when i thought the WWDC keynote would be huge for ipad. I mean...right? After they touted the ipad replacing your laptop and now its a "pro", there is surely going to be major software enhancements! Then it came...no new features for iPads. IN A YEAR OF WORKING ON IOS.

So...i dont know. I think right now we're on different wave lengths and i wouldnt be surprised if at some point after apple screws up a couple more keynotes and product launches, if you start getting a little bit cynical too. We'll see
You didn't see my previous posts on the new MacBooks about pure unadulterated greed and the like. Its just that time has let things sink in more. The touch bar always seemed gimmicky to me but then when I saw the reviewers universally praising it after they tried it out for themselves. I had to change my opinion on that. Then I've always known that a touch display on a laptop is ergonomically messy IMO.

Even my friends who own them rarely if ever use them accept then they are showing off to me and other people that they can do it. I also researched the competing products like the SurfaceBook and it's a less powerful version of a MacBook and for the same money. Several people I know who own one either say they don't use it as anything other than a laptop or that they are coming back to the Mac.

I will agree that I think Tim Cook maybe should've just been a more transitional CEO so Apple could by time to groom someone else with more passion for innovation and technology could take the lead. I feel that Tim Cook makes a great #2 guy but not necessarily a great CEO. That's what I see him as. He is not product oriented enough for my taste.

I think things like getting rid of the displays were a mistake. Sure they don't have the margins of other products but sometimes you sell a product for a smaller margin because of the positive externalities is creates around flag ship products like your macs, ipads and iphones.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
I think when they said "we think the laptop form factor is still important", that said a lot.

What that really means is they see the end of the laptop sometime in the future and they are trying to prepare for that.

So yeah, not as many people are buying laptops anymore and Apple has had that message for a long time.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
I don't think don't buying it is going to be very effective. In Boston, you cannot pick up one of the new MacBook Pro's anymore. Need to order it online and pick it up there two or three days later.
In Portugal, demand seems to be high as well. They are not available yet, only sometime next week. But stores staff tell me to reserve in advance because they are getting a lot of costumers interested in them.

People seem to be very interested in these MacBooks. You are suggesting a strategy that requires coordination among thousands of people, which is obviously not going to happen.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
I will not buy out of Protest. For me this has been coming on a long while and I've finally had enough. I think I will buy the Microsoft Surface Studio instead. Microsoft is the new Apple. I never in a million years thought I'd say that but there you go.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i was going to buy new 13" model (15 is way too large/heavy to carry in a small bag)...

but im really rethinking... i think ill wait for the next update - this is not really what i was hoping for, the price is way too high for these improvements. after i saw the prices, i also sold my aapl... iphone7 was abit blaah, but now also ridiculous priced macbook pros. oh well... maybe i buy shares when the appl is under 70 again.

im actually considering to get the underpowered macbook just to carry it with me, do basic stuff like writing, surfing etc. and with what to wait for when the sun is rising on the next time. or... i just buy mini for the things i need osx and buy zenbook to be be my precious little fellow in the bag.

Daniel... said:
People seem to be very interested in these MacBooks. You are suggesting a strategy that requires coordination among thousands of people, which is obviously not going to happen.

after the price they arent. i quess... after the first fan-wave, it might be abit quiet...

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
i was going to buy new 13" model (15 is way too large/heavy to carry in a small bag)...

but im really rethinking... i think ill wait for the next update - this is not really what i was hoping for, the price is way too high for these improvements. after i saw the prices, i also sold my aapl... iphone7 was abit blaah, but now also ridiculous priced macbook pros. oh well... maybe i buy shares when the appl is under 70 again.

im actually considering to get the underpowered macbook just to carry it with me, do basic stuff like writing, surfing etc. and with what to wait for when the sun is rising on the next time. or... i just buy mini for the things i need osx and buy zenbook to be be my precious little fellow in the bag.

after the price they arent. i quess... after the first fan-wave, it might be abit quiet...

Shipping times increased to 3-4 weeks...it could be supply constraint or high demand. It's hard to believe the demand is so high considering the price, but hey it's Apple, the only company who gets away with selling overpriced last-gen products.

Reactions: tubeexperience

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Shipping times increased to 3-4 weeks...it could be supply constraint or high demand. It's hard to believe the demand is so high considering the price, but hey it's Apple, the only company who gets away with selling overpriced last-gen products.
We'll know in a couple months when the next earnings call comes. If apple sold significantly more...then I don't know what to say. I really don't. I guess apple can do whatever they want

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
I will not buy out of Protest. For me this has been coming on a long while and I've finally had enough. I think I will buy the Microsoft Surface Studio instead. Microsoft is the new Apple. I never in a million years thought I'd say that but there you go.
So, you waited for a new laptop but you'll end up with a 28" desktop?

mjs402

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Is it what I expected? No.

Am I disappointed by it? Initially, yes. But in retrospect, no. The fate of losing Iris Pro was inevitable. There are no plans (at least by what has been leaked) for Intel to release GT4e iGPUs, which is what Iris Pro, after Skylake.

That is the only thing that really bothered me but what can you do?
The OLED Touch bar looks amazing.

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
Is it what I expected? No.

Am I disappointed by it? Initially, yes. But in retrospect, no. The fate of losing Iris Pro was inevitable. There are no plans (at least by what has been leaked) for Intel to release GT4e iGPUs, which is what Iris Pro, after Skylake.

That is the only thing that really bothered me but what can you do?
The OLED Touch bar looks amazing.

I waited and waited for a long time for this update and saying I am sorely disappointed is an understatement. The touch panel is gimmicky and I never look at my keyboard when typing anyway. And with the 15'' having no touch panel omit option? No thanks. I am sending a message with my wallet. The price increase sealed the deal.

But hey, someone's gotta pay for the fancy spaceship campus and quarter trillion in the bank I guess? It won't be me with the MBP.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
what about then if you had paid the full price from your own pocket?

I'd totally do it. Computer is one of the things I use the most, so paying around $90 per month to get a perfect tool is absolutely worth it to me. It is an expensive computer, but it ticks literally every box on my list and its beyond what I have expected to see. I am very happy with the upgrade and I don't have any issue with paying $200-$300 more. After all, we are talking about an investment over 3 years here. Few hundred dollars are simply not noticeable on that scale. I could get that money back literally by going out one or two times less per year.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

creamz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
100% agree. Apple's recent design decisions have all slanted towards them attempting to pull more money out of each customer. The best response is to simply not let them.

I am sure this pricing is geared towards their early adopters who are mostly price insensitive. Once their demand tapered down, their pricing would reveal some sense. And then it would be better.

Reactions: entropi and leman

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am sure this pricing is geared towards their early adopters who are mostly price insensitive. Once their demand tapered down, their pricing would reveal some sense. And then it would be better.

Exactly! Its early tech, so its expensive. Once they improve their manufacturing methods and yields, the price will get better.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Also remember that the people here at MacRumors make up ~4% of the Apple Consumers. You guys are in the minority and many people are enjoying their long awaited refresh and new customizable Touch Bar commands. Shipping dates have already changed. This thread failed.

Wasteland, please.

You don't get it. The MacBook Pro's pricing no longer makes it an impulse purchase or a viable option for many.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The 13" is actually cheaper specced out.

Old: 3.1 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, AppleCare = 2948
New: 3.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Apple Care = 2899

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
So, you waited for a new laptop but you'll end up with a 28" desktop?

No, my Retina MBP from a couple years back is OK, it will do for now. What I'm talking about is signalling my move away from Apple for the first time in 20 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.