KGI: Next Year's iPhone Models to Have Upgraded Intel and Qualcomm Modems Enabling Faster LTE Speeds

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's next-generation iPhone models released in 2018 will feature Intel's XMM 7560 and Qualcomm's Snapdragon X20 modems, enabling faster LTE transmission speeds, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]
    Image: KGI Securities

Kuo highlighted that both new chips support 4x4 MIMO technology, compared to only 2x2 MIMO in the latest iPhone models, which leads him to believe LTE transmission speeds will increase significantly in 2018 iPhones.

In his latest research note, obtained by MacRumors, Kuo predicted Intel will supply Apple with 70 to 80 percent or more of the baseband chips.
    Kuo also predicted that next year's iPhone models will feature dual-SIM dual standby (DSDS), with support for LTE+LTE connections, which allows two SIM cards to be active simultaneously using only one set of chips.
    It's not entirely clear if the new iPhones would have a dual SIM card slot or if one of the SIM cards would be embedded into the device.

Article Link: KGI: Next Year's iPhone Models to Have Upgraded Intel and Qualcomm Modems Enabling Faster LTE Speeds

2. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

They're all huge. Is it too much to ask for a normal HAND held sized phone?

3. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

BREAKING NEWS: The next model will have improvements from the current model. Maybe.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

The 6.1" LCD model makes zero sense to have.

You mean the 5.8" phone? It's the same size as the 4.7" iPhone 8, which is already a small phone.

5. TimeSquareDesi macrumors 6502

TimeSquareDesi

Anyone want to purchase a lightly used iPhone X from me...? I'm holding up for the iPhone 11 with upgraded internals /sarcasm

6. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

I'd like to get the 6.5 inch iPhone. Probably cost around £/$ 1189 64gb :(

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What? The next iPhone will be better?? So glad I’m holding off this year

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Is that going to help in weak coverage areas? Just Asking----:)

9. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Right, the most interesting / curious thing about this article isn't the point about updated LTE, but the "forecast" of a 6.1", EtT, FaceID phone with LCD.

The current X, i.e., the 5.8" OLED model is a terrific size.

10. Digital Dude macrumors 6502a

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Well, it's about time as my iPhone X is already growing long in the tooth; and it doesn't even arrive until Monday.

11. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Dual sim is going to be useful for alot of countries mostly on prepaid.

The Verizon variant is the one to get again next year.

12. Relentless Power, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That 6.5 iPhone in the photo absolutely trumps the 5.8. I know it's a render, but that's what I really look forward to, is the 6.5 OLED in Fall 2018.

13. haunebu macrumors member

Instant gains to be had by dumping the poorly performing Intel modems entirely. Then Apple wouldn't have to artificially limit the Qualcomm gigabit LTE modems already in its products.

14. Billymac19 macrumors regular

Billymac19

my first "dream phone" i am reallly liking the X but damn the X the size of a plus sign me up!!!!

15. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

No, the SE is a small phone. The 4.7” is a medium sized phone.

16. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

That....that...that word Dual SIM if it ever happens in iPhone X Plus, that would be the end of Android mobile for me!! Awesome

17. Jbusick7944 macrumors regular

Dang, Ming. You mean to tell us that the new phones next year will be faster? Crazy!

18. Billymac19 macrumors regular

Billymac19

does that mean for example, i can have verizon and a tmobile account on one phone?

19. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

I doubt unless both are using similar standards (GSM vs CDMA)! But heard that iPhone forked out Global multi-network compatibility post 6S into multiple devices.

20. kahkityoong macrumors 6502

kahkityoong

Small in comparison to the others. The SE is what I would call a small phone.

21. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Man I wish that the OLED 6.5 I phone X would have released this year along side of the 5.8 I phone x good thing I have the I phone every year plan I miss the size of my 7plus

22. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
  23. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Sarcasm because of planned obsolescence.. And people expect Apple NOT to improve with next year's iPhones? You know the charade and pattern already. Will look the same but internal improvements. Tick-tock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stage 1: Buy new iPhone
    Stage 2: Say you love it and call it best ever
    Stage 3: Boredom
    Stage 4: Sell it, trade-in, or give it away
    Stage 5: Buy latest iPhone

^ Repeat every step to fulfill that iPhone fix you have.

We live in the ADHD era anyway. People may ask you about your newest iPhone and completely forget about it a minute later. We forget like over 90% of what we will see visually within the next minute. Most of us won't even remember what we had for breakfast by time someone may ask us by dinner time. Unless you have super memory like Marilu Henner. I wouldn't want that. I want to be like Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Ignorance is bliss.

24. iPhone_X macrumors member

iPhone_X

When I see that photo with the three different iPhone sizes rumored for next year, I wonder why they aren't making an iPhone SE X. Besides the provocative and unlikely name, I'd love a device that is only a little wider than the SE but with a full frontal ~4.7" display. Price it at $800 if you have to, I don't care! Another option would be to take exact same 4.7" display ratio from the iPhone 7, but with rounded corners. So it's wider than the SE but not taller yet still 16:9 and OLED.

Also, has anyone asked how they would get LCD into that form factor? I thought you needed flexible OLED to do the corners properly.

25. recoil80 macrumors 68020

It may be the sweet spot for some users, including me.
    I have an 8+ now, I'd like a phone wide as the 8+ but tall like X and although the OLED display is amazing I could live with an LCD since I really like true tone on my 8+.
    If it comes at the usual price point as iPhone 8 it can be a good alternative to the premium X models.