KGI: TrueDepth Camera Gives Apple 2.5 Year Lead Over Android Competitors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Yeah, the registration process was pretty streamlined, and afterwards went to what looked like an extremely quick, slick, authentication mechanism.

Agree, good hands on demonstration of how it works, end-to-end.

3. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

4. Dropbrian, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017

Dropbrian macrumors newbie

Dropbrian

I have made exactly one other post in this thread, the one asking you a question. You didn't pepper your original posts with very many "if it works" clauses. It's still a huge if—and at best, it works flawlessly, and is an acceptable replacement for TouchID, and at worst it's a consumer interface calamity waiting to happen.

If you are GENUINELY interested in my opinion, and not an opinion you've assigned to me straw-man-style, it's this: I agree with most of the things people say they don't like about FaceID, but I do think we should wait before totally condemning it like some here seem to. Ultimately, though, as long as it's fairly secure I really don't care too much. That is, I literally care about correcting some random stranger on the Internet more than I care if I have to start using FaceID in my next iPhone...

5. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

I think they can patent the process of how all the parts work together but they can't actually patent technology that they just re-purposed for FaceID.

If they invented, say, TrueDepth camera, it should not infringe with current patents for 3D-sensing camera modules. Same with IR dot projector. They can, however patent the way these two work together to create a 3D-data of your face.

You won't believe how many ways you can copy an idea without infringing on a patent. Example, Fingerprint reader. There are patents that capture the image of your thumb (early fingerprint readers) and patents that creates data points and stores it in a secure enclave to compare to future data input (TouchID) but all just arrives at one goal: to unlock your device. Arguably, one is more secure than others.

That's why even if others can copy FaceID, they can't actually copy the "Apple" experience.

6. Cesar Battistini macrumors member

Cesar Battistini

Yeah Apple doesn't lie about its numbers.

Remember when they made a real world battery test in notebooks and Apple was the only vendor to have the true battery life advertised and even more? Or the fact that Nokia had an ad saying the footage was taken using a Lumia and there was a reflection showing that they used a DSLR. And when Samsung lied a thousand times? https://www.truthinadvertising.org/tag/samsung/

You don't hear that from Apple.

7. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/tag/Apple/
    Just replaced Samsung with Apple in the url. Because Apple doesn't take ownership to their lies, must mean they don't lie right? Why not just wait it out and see if Faceid will perform well, or fall flat on it's face. It's pretty much been addressed that it's not going to be as fast or discrete as a fingerprint reader, but hopefully it's not another one of Apple's long lists of gimmicks.

8. Alan Wynn macrumors member

Like their CPUs. Glad you never let the facts get in the way.

9. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

"Slow and unreliable" says a person who has never used FaceID.

I remember a lot of talk about "nobody will ever use a phone with a virtual keyboard on a touchscreen, everybody knows you need real keys in order to type, virtual keyboards are quite obviously inferior" some years back. When the iPhone released. How did that work out. Was the iPhone and its slow and unreliable virtual keyboard forced off the market by Blackberry and Windows CE phones?

I don't know how well FaceID will work in real life (though I suspect it'll probably do pretty well). I'm waiting until I can see it work in real life, before passing judgement.

10. SparkOnShore macrumors newbie

The fact is, at least from my point of view, that there is a new phone on which I have to get either less storage than on my iphone7 128 gb, or much more which will be useless to me. Also I will get similar battery life, or even much less than on my iPhone 7, if you consider that I happily use the smart battery case, which gives me an insane battery life, and which i will not be able to use with the X because of the useless to me wireless charging capability. Finally I will get a funny way of video watching, with either part of the video hidden behind a notch, or letterboxed (!!!!) view with bezels, more or less with the same viewable real estate like on my iPhone 7!!!

And all the above because of the OLED screen’s well advertised brightness which offers a new way of unlocking the phone, most probably of similar usefulness as with older one, used because the older one cannot be implemented on the OLED...

I don’t know, I am not so sure...Are you all?...

11. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Can't imagine who would be volunteering to go through the training process to get billboards to recognize *them*...

12. Cesar Battistini macrumors member

Cesar Battistini

People who tested it are saying it's so fast to unlock, footage has to be slowed down to show it happening.

The payments are instant as fast as touch ID but WAY more secure.

And it works with gloves, wet fingers and everything.

And in the site you will see that Apple doesn't lie nearly as much as Samsung. for every 1 apple makes samsung makes 100

13. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Has it been used for Apple Pay yet as the phone is not out.

I’m sure it will work well enough however i don’t think it will work 100% of the time and when it doesn’t I’d like Touch ID to fall back on.

14. Cesar Battistini macrumors member

Cesar Battistini

Ok just wait and see as all your "arguments" fall.

Have a nice week.

15. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Links for proof? Or is this one of those, "someone on the internet said it, so it must be true!" statements? And it seems like apple lies much more often than Samsung or any other Android manufacturers. How many times have they painted the illusion of innovation and creating x,y,z product, when they literally buy the preexisting technology, which is used in prior devices. Instead of saying "we created", they should say, "we purchased".

16. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

No doubt Apple loves to brag (perhaps a little too much) about their new thing. I can't argue that. :)

But the truth is... MANY of today's biggest companies build some of their greatest products through acquisitions.

Google spent over $1.5 billion in acquisitions to make Google Maps what it is today. And that's just what Wikipedia said. Who knows what other companies/products Google continues to buy to keep expanding just this one product.

17. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

While that is very much true, i don't believe there's any company in the tech world that does this more than Apple. While it definitely gets consumers antsy and ready to purchase, when you use fancy words, and give the illusion of creating everything from the ground up. But it just seems so discrediting to Corning, Samsung, Sony, LG, etc, after they pretty much takes credit for the creation or ideas from other companies/platforms.

18. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Like I said... I can't argue that. :)

It's just Apple being Apple.

(but it seems to work for them, no?)

19. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

It's definitely working for them, and at the end of the day, that's what business is about. And they got the revenue to back that statement up. I just feel the practice is shady in a sense.

20. LordVic macrumors 601

he does have an odd tendancy AFTER announcements though to make a lot of claims pro apple and anti everyone else that don't necessarily have grounding in reality.

he might not be paid / lapdog of Apple (and really I don't think we have evdience to that affect), but it's very clear he has an agenda of supporting Apple in some fashion
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    The Iris scanner wasn't the one fooled. it was the standard Android face unlock that has been in Android for years that only uses a 2d image to try and figure out who you are. And that's easily beatable (why I've never ever tried ot use it)...

Even so, Samsung and Android outright claim that regular face unlock is not a security method but a convenience method.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    everyone is still complaining over which is superior tech...

and I just want both to be used at the same time :(

21. mudflap macrumors regular

mudflap

The Samsung Galaxy S8 iris scanner was fooled by a photo with a contact lens over it.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s8-iris-scanner-hack,news-25140.html