Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Drop the prices of the current lineup by $100-$200 across the board, say merry early christmas, and call it a day, and people will still buy iPhones. But that's not what wall street would want to see, and a tech company that is as public and front running like Apple, they would have to keep the yearly iPhone refresh.[/QUOTE]

Knowing Tim Apple is just a greedy CEO, I'm sure he'll just throw out rubbish in this September then hoping people will spend model with the 5G models in a few months again.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
No one will ever be able to tell me that 5G does not pose health risks. We are so screwed with 5G. Have your babies while you can because your eggs sperm are going to be fried.

You’re absolutely embarrassing yourself in front of scientists and researchers!

Please visits PubMed and read the publications yourself. It’s more reliable than the Bible or the average friends and families :)

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It is infuriating me that Apple only offers phablets and no decent sized small iPhone, regardless of being a budget or high end phone.

Apple execs are living in their own world, their reality distortion field, not realizing that there are people in this word, who think, that smartphones aren’t that important in their lives. They don’t want to carry bricks around.

Well. Those people most likely don't need a smartphone at all. A good old Motorola Timeport from 15+ years ago will do the job just as well for those customers. Everybody else most likely appreciates the larger touch screen that offers superior readability and better usability.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I would say prove it, but you can’t at present.

People confuse 5G with with other frequencies. The one from 5G cannot penetrate the human dermis. For this reason, the technology can be applied without health concerns (please read the publications in Pubmeb).
From my understanding, in most current research they use The W-band of the microwave part of the electromagnetic spectrum which ranges from 75 to 110 GHz. This range of the spectrum caries more energy when compared to millimeter waves which are currently in use by the cellular and wireless industries (5G f=30Ghz in EU).
The characteristics of these MMWs radio frequency are obviously different than the “W-band” (i.e., microwave).
And still to date, there has been no published discussions regarding the health effects of MMWs, because their wavelength is unable to penetrate humans and animal dermis.
I have read many papers regarding this issues! However, non of them can confidently show a significant health issue related to these radiation.
I do remember that some studies had shown that viruses can turn from the lysogenic to lytic cycle in cell-free systems when exposed to LTE-like frequencies, but that should not be a concern for humans. I think it is more likely that these frequencies affect bacteria and such...

Don’t use the statement "prove it" regarding this issue. You’re instantly embarrassing yourself in front of the experts in this field.
A bit of basic physics and biology can help you out :D
If you will, please go to PubMed and READ THE PUBLICATIONS!!!

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
"Basically Apple is now working on 3 year cadence, and all the finishing touch on tech always falls last generation of that design."

Great point. You convinced me to get a 2019 iPhone XR LOL

Oh well that is what I am expecting, hoping, assuming, guessing. Whatever you like to call it. But don't take my word for it. We will know in September.

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
How do they expect to have a 5G chip in time for next year when they just acquired the team? It takes YEARS to produce a chip. Or was the Intel 5G chip already in the late design stages? Or maybe they only focus on sub-6Ghz 5G first and full 5G later?

No one said it would be an Apple branded chip in 2020. The Apple 5G chips are slated for 2021 and beyond.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Well here comes Captain Obvious Kuo. Who would release any flagship phone in 2020 with no 5G...
It is not that obvious, especially if we are talking about 70 milion units or more and there would be probably some degree of chip customization for Apple and extensive testing beforehand. The complexity of incorporating this technolgy when you produce at such large scale and especially, when you customers are premium users, is enormous. A small bug at hardware level could cause damages beyond what you can imagine. Better not rush it.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
I see no compelling need for an upgrade here.

I'm sorry I traded in my X for an Xr. In hindsight, it was a waste of money.

on the flip side, if that monstrosity of a multi lens camera is the next step, I'm glad I got while the getting is good.

don't get me wrong, my Xr is a nice phone. The A12 chip kicks butt, and the phone does everything I need. I wish it had a USB c connector, but fixed that issue with aftermarket doo hickies.

I've always taken good care of my electronics, and most likely my Xr will look new as the day I got it 3 years from now. Given my usage habits, it should suit my needs for a while.

phones are just a needful thing anymore. There's nothing compelling on the horizon. No killer app, no huge shift coming in how these devices are used. No need to make changes.

I'll pay it off, and take good care of it. When the day comes wireless provides no longer support 4G will likely when I make my next shift....

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
People confuse 5G with with other frequencies. The one from 5G cannot penetrate the human dermis. For this reason, the technology can be applied without health concerns (please read the publications in Pubmeb).
From my understanding, in most current research they use The W-band of the microwave part of the electromagnetic spectrum which ranges from 75 to 110 GHz. This range of the spectrum caries more energy when compared to millimeter waves which are currently in use by the cellular and wireless industries (5G f=30Ghz in EU).
The characteristics of these MMWs radio frequency are obviously different than the “W-band” (i.e., microwave).
And still to date, there has been no published discussions regarding the health effects of MMWs, because their wavelength is unable to penetrate humans and animal dermis.
I have read many papers regarding this issues! However, non of them can confidently show a significant health issue related to these radiation.
I do remember that some studies had shown that viruses can turn from the lysogenic to lytic cycle in cell-free systems when exposed to LTE-like frequencies, but that should not be a concern for humans. I think it is more likely that these frequencies affect bacteria and such...

Don’t use the statement "prove it" regarding this issue. You’re instantly embarrassing yourself in front of the experts in this field.
A bit of basic physics and biology can help you out :D
If you will, please go to PubMed and READ THE PUBLICATIONS!!!

As I said you can’t prove it, where are your links to backup your understanding?
Instead you’ve actually come across as a little patronising as you’ve not proved a thing, just given an opinion and presented it as fact with no documents or links to back it up provided.

You don’t realise that’s the issue, it’s not been tested and more and more scientists are warning against its aggressive roll out, big business doesn’t care as they are making far too much money from it all, you are being used effectively as a guinea pig.

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2017/03/5g-not-health-safety-tested-rolled-out-everywhere.html

http://www.saferemr.com/2017/09/5G-moratorium12.html?m=1

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/scientists-caution-government-to-go-slow-on-5g-roll-out/article28737197.ece

Apple along with the carriers should be ashamed of themselves but as stated they are just chasing the money. If you don’t believe that then you cannot possibly believe in the recent diesel gate scandals...

Last edited:
Reactions: CanyonLizard

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Apple will absolutely not be supporting 5G in 2020. They will delay (as always) and fall behind other companies and then release it as some major new feature after they are already late to the party. Lol at anybody who thinks they’ll be leading in 5G devices right out of the gate. Not happening.
[doublepost=1564337480][/doublepost]It took them what, 3 or 4 years to bring copy & paste to iOS? But they’re gonna be among the first for 5G support? LOL.
I wouldnt expect any meaningful 5G coverage in major cities before end of summar 2020, so not a big deal actually.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Or the faster processor, or other new features we don’t yet know about.

Or is it your contention that the only time it’s worthwhile upgrading is when new wireless standards are supported? If so, there have only been 2 worthwhile updates so far.

Faster processors are given in any refresh cycle. My iPhone 7 Plus with its A10 is still very fast.

CPUs haven't been a marketable reason to upgrade in a long time.

Reactions: apolloa

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Given that the carriers are more than likely going to drag their feet in rolling out 5G coverage and jack up the prices for such speeds, I won't be upgrading to a 5G phone anytime soon.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
...aren't they all money grabs?
I think what he means is that they are low-effort, low-cost entries for the annual update that cost Apple very little to produce compared to some years (due to R&D), yet still charge the same price for them.
[doublepost=1564410306][/doublepost]
Given that the carriers are more than likely going to drag their feet in rolling out 5G coverage and jack up the prices for such speeds, I won't be upgrading to a 5G phone anytime soon.
I don't think those two are mutually exclusive. Yes, carriers are going to cling to their pennies and due a piss poor job of rolling out 5G, and it will never reach its potential before being replaced by something else (Just like 3G, and 4G, and LTE).

But you buying or not buying a 5G capable phone has nothing to do with it, because it will still fall back on whatever the fastest network around you is.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
As I said you can’t prove it, where are your links to backup your understanding?
Instead you’ve actually come across as a little patronising as you’ve not proved a thing, just given an opinion and presented it as fact with no documents or links to back it up provided.

You don’t realise that’s the issue, it’s not been tested and more and more scientists are warning against its aggressive roll out, big business doesn’t care as they are making far too much money from it all, you are being used effectively as a guinea pig.

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2017/03/5g-not-health-safety-tested-rolled-out-everywhere.html

http://www.saferemr.com/2017/09/5G-moratorium12.html?m=1

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/scientists-caution-government-to-go-slow-on-5g-roll-out/article28737197.ece

Apple along with the carriers should be ashamed of themselves but as stated they are just chasing the money. If you don’t believe that then you cannot possibly believe in the recent diesel gate scandals...

links to backup your understanding? Are you serious...?
You do realize that research that lacks evidence will not get published in scientific journals?

Let me ask you this, send me a link to a published scientific paper, author and issue number of the paper that proved 5G frequency penetrates the human dermis! Do it now!

None of the links you send me is referring to any published papers.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC_tech

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
I think what he means is that they are low-effort...
low effort for Apple:
these iPhones may disappoint if you plan to keep the phone for a few years and 5G takes off
as
Apple has had an unsteady 5G development cycle and will continue play catchup next couple years

when 5G becomes available at your house you will really really want it to work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.