Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
You can build a far better MBA these days with AMD chips. Apple doesnt have to use Intels parts. Even the MBP's could leverage AMD chips to an advantage (especially the 13") This doesnt even consider Apple designed ARM based chips.

I still dont buy some of the excuses iffered up to support Apples miserable failure with the Mac Line up. There have been suitable upgrade products for many of the Macs for years or in some cases months. This includes both the desktops and laptops.

What is frustrating is the lack of price flexibity when it comes to grossly outdated hardware. What Apple wants us to pay for an outdated CPU and a paltry amount of SSD is a crime.
I agree with you but I doubt Apple will go with AMD.
Its either Intel or they will do their own stuff but that is still few years away. For now we are stuck with Intel.

Not sure what you mean "suitable upgrades" as MBP has literally almost nothing to get now.
Anyway, I'm in the same boat and I am pissed off with Apple for neglecting their Mac line but this time I kinda feel its more to do with Intel.

On the other hand - Mac Pro should already be here and the same goes for Mac Mini. 17" MBP would also be awesome edition for those that need the screen space and are sometimes on the go.

iMac could also come with 32" screen version as I doubt anyone these days buys 21.5" version apart from Education.

I hope there will be time when the damn iPhone starts to fail and Apple will be forced to focus on Mac. If iPhone was treated the same way as Mac Pro/Mac Mini then that would show them. :)

Reactions: Yvan256

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Someone should keep dropping flyers of this quadrant on the Apple campus by drone until they get it.

20180614-quadrant-02.jpg

Times change, and Apple too changes with the times.
d4edd255cce0b5ff2fc85b5f9f227c6d.jpg

droog

Suspended
Apr 10, 2018
Literally the only thing I want from them at this point.
I'm long past expecting to actually "like" any of the Macs they'll be putting out.
Agreed. They stopped making computers that could handle my work load and I'm not a phone person other than to text people and listen to pod casts.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Apple's product lines are looking more and more like they did in the 90's. Choice is good, but having to choose between multiple products with marginally-different specs creates confusion. This was why Steve Jobs worked to drastically simplify the product lines when he returned to Apple.

at this point i totally agree, however if the iphone line ends up being just these 3 it might be better than the current line (of 6s, 7, 8, and X).

2nd gen SE with wireless charging, touch-ID under glass, and edge to edge screen please.
SE is an extreme budget phone for emerging markets. doubt itll get X-esque features this early into the X's lifecycle

lishaoalox

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2018
Waiting for the new iMac and MacBook Air.
Almost the start of July, still considering whether to buy Mac now or what.
Hoping that we could hear further more news about the Mac soon.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Although I understand your frustration, please tell me what would you like in new MBP?

How about a functional and reliable keyboard?

Intel chips are not ready (those suitable) and GPU has almost zero improvement so what else do you want them to put in the MBP? Intel is behind so Apple has nothing to put there and by the looks of it we won't have anything until early next year. Its not Apple, its Intel messing it up

Stop defending the indefensible.

Intel CPUs have gained 10-15% in single core and 40-50% in multi-core scores!

There is now a 15W 4C/8T CPU which would fit in the 13"MBP and 45W(?) 6C/12T CPUs for the 15" MBP.[/QUOTE]

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Heres a way to improve demand:

If I buy a $1500 iPhone ($1149 + $200 AC+ + Tax) I should get the 200GB iCloud plan for FREE

AngstyKylo

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2018
London UK
I slightly want to flip out. What about the Mac?

Don't want to whine and moan, but Apple's change in direction away from the Mac – as evidenced so clearly now more than ever before – is truly a loss for me. Been with the Mac since the early 90s.

The profit margins and number of sales Apple makes for phones and tablets is just way more. People change them every couple of years or so which equals more profit. There's just not as much demand or money to make from the Mac and the main user base is not the niche pro market that use it for design, music and film production, it's the billions that mainly use facebook, instagram, snapchat etc.

narcolpetic-haze

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
Near the start of the year I was pretty excited at the idea of getting my first ever Mac (Macbook Pro), but held off because the keyboard issue seemed pretty bad, then for an update. Now i'm seriously just considering getting an XPS 15. The only real thing holding me to still get a Mac is I wanted to try Logic Pro .. but is it worth paying a premium for a machine that is either behind technologically, or has a potentially serious design flaw with it's main input source? The excitement is fading fast...

stinhambo

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
I want to buy my wife a replacement for her 2011 iMac i5 but new iMacs are way overpriced and the Mac mini is comically old and overpriced.

The real eye opener came when I priced up a PC build and found I could afford a system with 16Gb RAM and 1Tb SSD/4Tb HDD for Lightroom and gaming for less than a decent iMac.

Killing Aperture means using Lightroom is just down to OS differences now as it's available for both Mac and PC.

And on the subject of phones, I'm getting an iPhone 7 because the X is the same price as a Macbook and the 8 looks brittle. The new range of iPhones look too big, they should have considered a phone the same size as the 8 but with a no-bezel LED screen.

elektrik

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
I don’t need a redesigned chassis that saves me imperceptible millimeters of thickness. I don’t need a giant slab-of-glass phone without buttons.

I need a desktop computer without an insultingly old set of hardware. Package 2018 laptop hardware into the existing Mini chassis with modern ports. Enable user upgrades. Update the iMac to 2018 hardware. In 2018.

I need a mobile computer that can last for a reasonably long plane ride in a seat with no power while I work on my core business of editing large photos. Enable me to travel without dongles for connecting the stuff that real working pros use. And enable me to not have the computer accidentally spiked onto the floor by a flight attendant because there’s no MagSafe connection anymore.

I want a non-tablet-sized phone that does core phone stuff all day (or maybe two!). If I never use an Animoji it’ll be too soon.

They seem to be losing track of the basics. My business is sitting on money to spend. Apple isn’t giving me reason to spend it.

But I’m sure that all the new watch bands are fab.

oyabroch!

Suspended
Jan 8, 2018
Retail psychology basics for the MacRumors editorial team:

You never, EVER debase your brand by saying "cheaper", you say "less expensive"; the connotations of any variation of "cheap" are going to cause brand damage; tread carefully, or you're gonna ruin your company.
[doublepost=1530060219][/doublepost]
Can't wait until September.

<Sheldon>
Unless you own a Tardis, you have to. "Can't" should be "don't want to" :p
</Sheldon>

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
$600 - $700 would be sweet for a full-screen 6.1" device. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Somehow Apple will cripple it, either with an A10 processor, 1GB RAM, or a crappy camera. AMOLED display is not worth a $300 premium so there will have to be other major distinguishing features between this and the X.
We already know it won’t have a dual camera for it’s rear camera.
It’s funny how we see $600 - $700 as “mid range” now. Flagship phones used to start at $650. I hope the pricing doesn’t get out of hand.

oyabroch!

Suspended
Jan 8, 2018
We already know it won’t have a dual camera for it’s rear camera.
It’s funny how we see $600 - $700 as “mid range” now. Flagship phones used to start at $650. I hope the pricing doesn’t get out of hand.

I remember buying THE ONLY iPhone - the 3G S for £440.40 - before all this nonsense started. They think money falls from the sky!

geromi912

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2018
Looks like no upgrade for me again this year, looks like i will be sticking with my 6s.

The new 6.1" will be far too big, and the SE at 4" will be too small. The only possible upgrade for me then will be the 7 or 8, but they are not worth upgrading to from a 6s.
Stay in the past I guess. The whole industry is moving to large screens.
[doublepost=1530061629][/doublepost]
I remember buying THE ONLY iPhone - the 3G S for £440.40 - before all this nonsense started. They think money falls from the sky!
Back then the base storage was also almost unusably small
[doublepost=1530061896][/doublepost]
I don't know, the 5K iMac is a very capable machine. I would classify it as Prosumer.
7700k is high end consumer at best. RX 580 is barely mid range. And only if they can actually run at full speed for more than 5 mins without going into limb mode.
[doublepost=1530062035][/doublepost]
$600 - $700 would be sweet for a full-screen 6.1" device. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Somehow Apple will cripple it, either with an A10 processor, 1GB RAM, or a crappy camera. AMOLED display is not worth a $300 premium so there will have to be other major distinguishing features between this and the X.
For 649 it better come with A12, 3gb ram at LEAST. The 2gb devices can almost NEVER keep semi-large apps open in the background even in iOS 12.

oyabroch!

Suspended
Jan 8, 2018
Stay in the past I guess. The whole industry is moving to large screens.
[doublepost=1530061629][/doublepost]
Back then the base storage was also almost unusably small
[doublepost=1530061896][/doublepost]
7700k is high end consumer at best. RX 580 is barely mid range. And only if they can actually run at full speed for more than 5 mins without going into limb mode.
[doublepost=1530062035][/doublepost]
For 649 it better come with A12, 3gb ram at LEAST. The 2gb devices can almost NEVER keep semi-large apps open in the background even in iOS 12.

Back then, we didn't need such ridiculous amounts of storage... and besides, needs differ.

geromi912

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2018
Probably October with the A12X. It wouldn't make sense to launch a new iPhone with A12 and then have it superseded minutes later by an A12X.
You make no sense, the iPad actually needs more gpu power than the iPhone. In fact the a9x gpu is still stronger than the a11.
[doublepost=1530062350][/doublepost]
Everything Kuo stated about new Mac models is dependent on Intel releasing LPDDR4 compatible processors. So far it's not looking good.

Strange that Intel can't produce a low power 64bit processor that can support LPDDR4 memory when Apple's A-Series processors have been doing it for a while now.
What about desktops for the actual power users? Nobody gives a _____ about Low power memory. Just ****ing 8700k and high speed DDR4 memory.
[doublepost=1530062560][/doublepost]
Like I said, 80% of the PC market just wants to browse the web, read emails, play some casual games, and use Office apps. You can do all of that perfectly well with the iPhone in your pocket.

The power users... I have absolutely no idea why they hang onto the Mac, except brand loyalty.
[doublepost=1530039823][/doublepost]

As I understand it, Jony Ive is the second most powerful person at Apple, as Steve Jobs intended.
If that’s all you do why not a $300 chromebook? The screen is likely as rubbish as the MacBook Air.
[doublepost=1530062931][/doublepost]
Although I understand your frustration, please tell me what would you like in new MBP? Intel chips are not ready (those suitable) and GPU has almost zero improvement so what else do you want them to put in the MBP? Intel is behind so Apple has nothing to put there and by the looks of it we won't have anything until early next year. Its not Apple, its Intel messing it up
What a pile of ballock. Quad core 15w/28w is out. 6 core 45w/65w/91w is out. And have been for months. Are you trying to saying they’re useless when literally every other PC gain significant boost? And GPU? Well AMD (advanced microwave device) maybe. Nvidia? The forefront of innovation. From 780Ti to 1080Ti there was a 200% increase in just 3 years.

Reactions: mdbradigan

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
As a current SE owner I hope the SE2 comes with a 4.5" or 4.8" screen with the thin bezels and design of the X. The current screen size is nice but a little bigger would be better.

And I don't see why they are going to update the Macbook Air at all. I thought the plan was to have the Macbook replace the Air. Can they not get the price down on the new Macbook or they just don't want to?

geromi912

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2018
As a current SE owner I hope the SE2 comes with a 4.5" or 4.8" screen with the thin bezels and design of the X. The current screen size is nice but a little bigger would be better.

And I don't see why they are going to update the Macbook Air at all. I thought the plan was to have the Macbook replace the Air. Can they not get the price down on the new Macbook or they just don't want to?
They don’t want to. It’s too easy to charge stupidly high price for absurdly low specs in the name of thinness. Just look at the hp elitebook folio for example.

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
Remember when Jobs was running the show and we'd get truly amazing new things every year or so? Even if some of it was under cooked like Siri... at least it was something really interesting and new to check out. Now it's just... bigger screens, thinner devices, more emoji's...

I feel like most of us could predict the next three years pretty easily, that's how predictable it's gotten.

oyabroch!

Suspended
Jan 8, 2018
Remember when Jobs was running the show and we'd get truly amazing new things every year or so? Even if some of it was under cooked like Siri... at least it was something really interesting and new to check out. Now it's just... bigger screens, thinner devices, more emoji's...

I feel like most of us could predict the next three years pretty easily, that's how predictable it's gotten.

Okay, so, hear me out; let's assume you've just been hired as CEO, and simultaneously been appointed a secondary role as senior designer... right, so bearing that in mind, let's hear YOUR grand ideas, and how you intend to force "innovative products" out of your workforce on an annual cycle...

... c'monnnn, your customers and loyal die-hard fans are waiting - put ya money where your mouth is - what do YOU propose, assuming your fictional role as CEO etc...

I'm not being cynical or sarcastic, in case that comes across as being so; I'm looking at your comment objectively, and asking :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.