Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
I know quite a few people with one, and they all bought it for the size. Or were you just making the point that you have cheap friends? ;)
I also know more than one person who but it for the size, and at least one person who's bought a couple refurbed SEs and keeps them as backups because it doesn't look like Apple's ever going to make a phone that small again...

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I'm excited to upgrade from my iPhone 8 to this, I mean sure I would love like a 4.3-4.5" phone with reduced bezels but this being Apple's smallest phone at a great price I'll happily upgrade. Hopefully it has better battery life too with the removal of 3D Touch allowing for a larger battery and the efficiency of the A13 chip.

Reactions: DailySlow

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
SE today is viewed as a small phone first, then cheap.
People holding their breath for an "SE2" are wishing for a small portable phone.
And especially all the ones on "enthusiast forums" online.

People wishing for an affordable phone with current-gen chip couldn't care less whether it's called SE2, 8s, 9 or SER.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
SE forever - Always smaller, always mighty, always price-accessible.
[automerge]1571694362[/automerge]
People holding their breath for an "SE2" are wishing for a small portable phone.
And especially all the ones on "enthusiast forums" online.

People wishing for an affordable phone with current-gen chip couldn't care less whether it's called SE2, 8s, 9 or SER.
But...but, what a brand! What a meme!

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I’d love the iPhone 9 name just for the sake of my OCPD lol

I think the “SE 2” name is meant to indicate it’s a budget centric device in the vein of what the SE was in 2016 and eventually became in the lineup, not that it is a smaller device per se

It’s thrown around in analyst notes not officially

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I'm excited to upgrade from my iPhone 8 to this, I mean sure I would love like a 4.3-4.5" phone with reduced bezels but this being Apple's smallest phone at a great price I'll happily upgrade. Hopefully it has better battery life too with the removal of 3D Touch allowing for a larger battery and the efficiency of the A13 chip.

We can probably expect better battery

That would be great. I’m not the target audience for this phone but certainly members in my family are. And for them this would be a great upgrade.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
BATTERY! I run my bluetooth hearings aids of one and battery endurance is an issue. If slightly bigger size and better energy-friendly chip is there, I’m on it.
My third SE (32GB upgraded, 63GB ripped off, 128GB is great) WProof case still fits, accessories work, hearing aids work, but battery sort of sucks.
[automerge]1571695428[/automerge]
I want an iPhone 3G/3GS sized (and shaped) phone.

I take it out of a drawer every now and then, fondle it for a while and dream.

(And then I turn it on, see iOS 6, and dream even more about what could have been.)
LOL

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I would buy one immediately for my wife. She’s more than happy with her 6S, which is aging and won’t be supported next year. She’s not entirely happy about an 11 or an XR, because she like Touch ID, so I was considering an iPhone 8...

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
It’s odd everyone here is complaining about size. I know quite a few people with the se, and they all bought it for price.
Actually my wife and daughter got their SEs because of the size. They both have refused to upgrade their phones until another similar sized phone is released. The price won’t matter, as long as it’s reasonable, but to them the size is what’s most important.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Well, it looks like "Ms Burberry" left too soon. Here was a missed opportunity for Apple to invent an entire line of men's and women's pants/slacks.... ones with larger pockets to accommodate the ever-increasing size of the iPhone line.

jbsiii

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2014
La Jolla, CA
For users (such as myself/wife) deeply embedded in the :apple: ecosystem (2 SE's, 2 iPads, 2 Mac Airs, & a Mac Mini), a small form factor (easy to put in a pocket/purse) is a great way to complement other :apple: devices. Although affordability is nice, a "one hand" iPhone meets the needs of many users and would be desirable even at a higher price.

Reactions: Ladybug

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
I want an iPhone 3G/3GS sized (and shaped) phone.

I take it out of a drawer every now and then, fondle it for a while and dream.

(And then I turn it on, see iOS 6, and dream even more about what could have been.)

I can totally relate to that. And I still use oo Tunes. Jailbroken to use T-Mobile. :D

Attachments

• iphone 3g.JPG
    iphone 3g.JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: Arctic Moose

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I know quite a few people with one, and they all bought it for the size. Or were you just making the point that you have cheap friends? ;)
I bought two over the years because of price. Best Buy and Walmart both had them for between $100-175 for AT&T’s prepaid service but you’re allowed to activate them on the postpaid plan as well. $20/month to add to my family plan.

They’re a popular model especially for younger kids, though older kids seem to want larger displays. Also for those who mostly use it as a phone, in my experience.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It could get called an 8se which would indicate that it's not just an iterative improvement on the 8 (which has an A11 CPU). Adding 3Gb of RAM and using the A13 CPU on a body that could be priced similarly to the existing 8 makes me a little bit concerned about the fate of the 8 Plus which would look very much like a white elephant in the face of an 8se from below and the Xr from above.

If they have indeed stripped out 3D Touch from this phone then it can't simply be a rehash of the 8 body style and surely an even bigger reason for just flat out discontinuing the 8 Plus as the last remaining phone in the lineup with 3D Touch.
If there is an “SE2” like Kuo’s predicting, the 8 will definitely be discontinued. Agree that the 8 Plus will go at the same.

I don’t think they’ll call it 8 or 9, that already sounds ancient, and six months after it’s release the iPhone 12 will be released (or maybe 11S). SE2 makes a little sense from the standpoint of it being a cut-rate rehash, but my prediction is iPhone SR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.