Kuo: iPhone XR Pre-Order Demand Over First Weekend Exceeded That of iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhone XR pre-order demand in the first three days of the device's availability was "better than that" of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus during the same period last year, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]

In a research note obtained by MacRumors, Kuo said that although pre-order demand immediately after launch has been lower for the iPhone XR versus the flagship iPhone XS models, overall iPhone XR shipment momentum is "more stable" because it will drive more customers to upgrade than the iPhone 8 series over time.

[​IMG]

Kuo added that iPhone XR shipping estimates on Apple.com (many models remain available for launch day delivery on Friday) do not indicate exact demand, as the type of customers interested in the device are more general users, with many ordering through carriers to take advantage of promotions.

An excerpt from Kuo's research note with TF International Securities:
    Some other analysts had expressed concerns that the iPhone XR's strong availability implied weak sales of the $749 handset.

Kuo already predicted that iPhone XR demand would be higher than that for the iPhone 8 series last year in a research note shared last week. He also increased his iPhone XR shipment forecast to 36 to 38 million units in the fourth quarter of 2018, up 10 percent from his original estimate of 33 to 35 million units.

Article Link: Kuo: iPhone XR Pre-Order Demand Over First Weekend Exceeded That of iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

2. tromboneaholic macrumors 68030

tromboneaholic

I'm happy with my X, but that black one does look nice though.

3. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

Wow, people like to buy reasonably priced iPhones, who would have guessed ?

p.s. if it had OLED, same price, I would go for a fancy yellow one. Even though it does not have fingerprint sensor and no headphone jack. But lacking three things, I need to pass.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

He is right, people who pre-order are not the main buyers if the XR. This phone will be the main seller for the average user, the enthusiasts are the ones who pre-order.

5. kstotlani macrumors 6502a

Apple must have done a good job with the supply chain as every colour and size is available even now.

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

I am not surprised, but I'll also say the demand will be more sustainable as XR buyers look at the phones in the store. XR buyers are not as big of Apple enthusiasts as XS buyers, so from that perspective, it's not surprising the ship times have not slipped more.

I also think Apple ramped the heck out of production because they had an additional month to do so.

7. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Not surprising, the low cost is the main driver. Majority of the features, plus new design/colors, at a lower cost - easy sell.

8. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

So the general customer the Xr is geared towards as “affordable” prefer subsidies and promos offered by the carriers. Does that make this device affordable if these marketing strategies are required.
    By this logic an Xs/Max with subsidies and promos from the carriers can be considered “affordable”.
    Without these promos and subsidies would the Xr sell well at all.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

People like to buy $1,000 phones too. Not like Apple didn't knock it out the park the the X and the XS Max is going gangbusters according to all reports.

Apple got this right. People will buy both. A lot of them.

We'll see how many February 1.

10. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

Not surprising considering the 8 and 8+ were a marginal update, and the Xr is a radical redesign of the low-end iPhone.

11. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

It's a great phone for the price, no one can disagree there.

12. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

No surprise. 55-60% of total iPhone sales by Q4. Smart lineup moves by Apple for once. Going to destroy XS numbers. ;)

13. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

And it will sell even easier once in the stores. It will look good, it will be new, and the sales person will point out the better battery life.

14. Tozovac, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

I earn a wage I consider to be robust enough to be able to support buying an Iphone now and then (engineer for 25 years), but anything over $500 for a phone that's likely to require replacement every ~3 years does not seem like "low cost" to me!

Good God, is $750 before Apple Care really considered "low cost" to the admittedly Apple-fanatics (of which I still consider myself one) around these parts?

I’m not calling $750 to be too much or non-justifiable. I can hardly see it be called “low cost” or “reasonably priced.”

What, did the (no longer available) $379 iPhone SE and (currently available) refurbished iPhone 7 for $379 seem like giveaways??

15. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Many probably see it as last year's iPhone X for $250 less, and Apple's profit margins are probably similar, given the lack of OLED, 3D Touch, dual-cameras, and steel chassis. Win-win.

16. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Compared to the X/XS/XS Max, the XR is a much more affordable option. If you don't want to spend that much on a phone, of course you have that right. The same can be said about anyone who wants to spend that much on a phone, they have every right to do so.

17. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Which means demand was low

18. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Though I love the colour options, one has to read between the lines. When the SE was released it sold well, TMK with carrier promos and subsidies during launch week.

This comparison is between the 8/Plus last years pre-order weekend compared to Xr. Were the carrier subsidies and promos offered at deep discounts, not sure would be great to see a comparison.

People forget that if one is the average customer these devices are not affordable and their tend to hold onto their devices longer, the ones upgrading are the 6/S crowd or option two is replace the battery on their present device. I am curious how many Android users have or will convert due to the Xr.

Too soon to say really.

19. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Yea it should be an easy sell for most. Battery life isn't (yet) a driver for me, but makes sense for some.

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

This phone will probably get more interest once it’s on display in the stores. One of its big selling points is color, and many people will want to see that in person before purchasing.

I didn’t worry about that too much because Apple Store lighting is so different from the lighting I actually live in.

For example I’m a bit shocked how brown/bronze my gold series 4 Apple Watch looks daily. It looked more gold in the store.

21. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

After so many years where Apple could not figure the supply:demand ratio, their have finally nailed it. Or demand is not what was expected. Do carriers receive equal stock to the Apple Store.

22. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Yea, obviously we don't have exact sales numbers, but I am sure Apple will be happy with how all of their phones this year sell. The XR is a big step up form the 8 so I would expect better numbers, but we'll see.

23. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

That's not answering my question. That's as useful as saying someone who wishes to spend $100k on a diamond-encrusted phone handed to them by Eddie Van Halen has every right to do so.

If you read the responses I quoted, they call it a "low cost option."

I'm curious how many consider $750 to be "low cost" or "reasonably priced," regardless of the XS or XS-max's price. :)

24. tromboneaholic macrumors 68030

tromboneaholic

Are you factoring resale value into your calculation of cost of ownership?

25. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Well we don't live in a vacuum, so we have to look at the overall smartphone market when looking at costs. Right now, this is a lower cost option for Apple. I would think that since Apple has been selling phones for years at $750, many would consider it a reasonably priced option, and even a low cost option compared to other premium phones being offered by Apple and the competition.