Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Voice your opinion with your wallet. Don't like it, don't give them your money.

Above post is right on the money. And you know what? Apple doesn't care about all the people complaining. Why? Because they know you're going to buy the phone anyway. So, unless you plan on speaking with your bank account instead of your mouth...you're just making valueless noise.

Don't like how Apple is handling the launch? Don't buy the product. If you do, it only shows Apple they can do what they wish.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
Apple can do whatever they want. SJ announced the white iPhone 4 months before one was available for sale. If you wanted it, black was it. How soon we forget?

As for anyone else who is whining about not getting the color they wanted... seriously, if you're on this forum, you know about the supply shortages. If you saw that there was no pre-order for the 5S, you should have known it was probably going to be a bit tighter than you had originally guessed. If you waited in line, you obviously gambled, and probably lost. That's on you.

If you wanted a specific model and color, you should have ordered online. It makes sense right? The pool reserved for online orders is for the entire country. Surely that pool would have been way larger than the much smaller droplets that were allocated for your particular store. Either way, it is what it is. You guys can sit on here and whine all week/month/rest of 2013, but eventually this will be forgiven, and forgotten, and it'll repeat when iPhone 6's come out in about a year.

THIS.
I too remember the white iPhone 4 fiasco and were one of the ones that had to settle for black.
There was more than enough info here last night and early this morning that the gold and silver phones would be extremely hard to get. A lot of people ordered online this morning or settled again for space gray and are happy.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Above post is right on the money. And you know what? Apple doesn't care about all the people complaining. Why? Because they know you're going to buy the phone anyway. So, unless you plan on speaking with your bank account instead of your mouth...you're just making valueless noise.

Don't like how Apple is handling the launch? Don't buy the product. If you do, it only shows Apple they can do what they wish.

Totally agree. If best buy order fell through I was ready to order a moto x. I needed a new phone and if apple wants to play games then they can play with someone else. This hype non sense was all their creation.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Also, I could be wrong, but I think Apple would totally rather sell phones through their own stores vs. Best Buy, RadioShack or otherwise.

By selling it at Apple Stores, they get the full, retail amount. I would think they'd have to sell it to their partners at wholesale so they can in turn sell for a profit. Either way, I've shopped directly from Apple for the past few years, whether online or in line and have always had my expectations met. I may not have been thrilled every single time, but my expectations were met. :p

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I was the 4th person is line, and good thing the 3 people in front of me weren't interested in ,the only iPhone 5s 64 GB Gold At&t, available at my local Apple store :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 123

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
They knew gold would be the most popular color. I know they like to create artificial demand with these sell out tactics, but stores only getting 1 or 2 is just ridiculous.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
They knew gold would be the most popular color. I know they like to create artificial demand with these sell out tactics, but stores only getting 1 or 2 is just ridiculous.

Or like the AT&T I waited in line for, none. They had no white or gold 5S's and only the green 5C. Just. Wow.

----------

You aren't from Bakersfield by any chance are you? I ask because of you're name.

ucfgrad11

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
I ordered my silver 64GB VZW at 3:00AM on the dot. If I don't get mine within a week (or this month) I'll be a little upset.

Same. Ordered my silver 32 giger at about 3:01 AM and I hope this holds up as. It says it'll ship on the 24th. Fingers crossed. But I won't upset as long as I get the silver one.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
I was the 4th person is line, and good thing the 3 people in front of me weren't interested in ,the only iPhone 5s 64 GB Gold At&t, available at my local Apple store :D

I ordered on-line. 64GB Gold. If I stood behind you, I would have been pissed.

However, I think people are over reacting. - You don't mess with people's iPhone orders on day one. Look a lot of people wanted the 5S, because it's a great phone. That's all there is to it. It's not possible for Apple to produce enough.

I think that adding China to the opening day sales, made a huge difference in product availably in the US. So my sentiment is, now you know what it tastes like.

I have done this 6 times, in a row. There's disappointment every single year, for one reason or another.

Now we get to hear, what the next iPhone-gate is...

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
So ironic people are complaining there are not enough gold inventory
when just a few weeks ago people here were complaining how tasteless the gold color was and to quote exactly " with the gold phone Apple has jumped the shark"

It is so obvious how apple does a launch. Think about it there is a limit to chip yields if you under stand how silicon is fabricated especially with a new run like the A7 not to mention they are dependent on the new fingerprint sensor yields.

So your the guy at Apple who has to decide on launch day what phone colors to stick the sensors and chips in to optimize sales and keep as many people happy as possible. You have no idea how well the gold is going to do, its one of those you either hate it or love it. You know from past sales history that the black outsell by huge numbers the white. I am definitely going to slant the numbers way towards black to be safe.

For those who think this is some kind of marketing ploy that apple uses to hype the product, have no clue how apple manages inventory. Apple will sell millions of iphones this weekend. It takes Samsung months to equal the sales Apple will have in just 3 days of their high end phone such as the s3 and s4.
It is an amazing logistic dance that Apple does to get that many phones sold in such a short time.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I don't think anyone knew that the demand for Gold would be this high..

The hype surrounding the gold color is due to the "newness" factor - since this is the first color released for the iPhone besides black and white.

It could have been 'poop brown' instead of gold and the demand would still be high because it's a NEW color.

Society is getting dumber with each passing day.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Same. Ordered my silver 32 giger at about 3:01 AM and I hope this holds up as. It says it'll ship on the 24th. Fingers crossed. But I won't upset as long as I get the silver one.

I think as long as we get it this month we should be fine. If it drags on through October then I'll be ticked. :/

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I think they overestimated the appeal of the iPhone 5C for the "1st day buyers" crowd.

I mean, the 5c is a great phone, love the overall design and honestly I think I would prefer the 5S having the 5C plastic casing. However, it is still the "last year phone" in a new plastic design at the same price than the iPhone 5 would have been (being the 99$ subsidized option for the year to come). Even if they market it as an all new product, peoples still see it as the "last year phone", and I think that it will eventually sell very well medium/long-term, it won't have the same appeal at launch date as the all new high tech iPhone 5S. Especially since it is not really the "cheap iPhone" we were all expecting. I know that personnally, the iPhone 5C would have been 200$ cheaper than the 5S, I would have seriously considered buying the 5c at launch instead. But for 100$ difference, the 5S seems to justify the 100$ difference easily. 200$ too, but not as clearly.

Anyway, right now every iPhone 5C is still "24h" on the Apple store, while the 5S is now delayed to simply "october".

So, I guess it didn't went like they expected. It happen, too bad. We'll live through it !

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
I think they overestimated the appeal of the iPhone 5C for the "1st day buyers" crowd.

I mean, the 5c is a great phone, love the overall design and honestly I think I would prefer the 5S having the 5C plastic casing. However, it is still the "last year phone" in a new plastic design at the same price than the iPhone 5 would have been (being the 99$ subsidized option for the year to come). Even if they market it as an all new product, peoples still see it as the "last year phone", and I think that it will eventually sell very well medium/long-term, it won't have the same appeal at launch date as the all new high tech iPhone 5S. Especially since it is not really the "cheap iPhone" we were all expecting. I know that personnally, the iPhone 5C would have been 200$ cheaper than the 5S, I would have seriously considered buying the 5c at launch instead. But for 100$ difference, the 5S seems to justify the 100$ difference easily. 200$ too, but not as clearly.

Anyway, right now every iPhone 5C is still "24h" on the Apple store, while the 5S is now delayed to simply "october".

So, I guess it didn't went like they expected. It happen, too bad. We'll live through it !

this exactly!! Apple grossly overestimated the demand for the 5c! They mass produced the crap out of it but in reality it will not sell nearly as well as the 5s. I think apples plan is to really push the 5c and make more profit (higher profit vs 5s) After holding the 5c and 5s it is not only very easy to tell/feel the quality difference, but on launch day people want the flagship, not reused parts in a "colorful" plastic shell!

I ended up getting a 5s at best buy in the afternoon, and ill be checking everyday to get the silver one if they ever get it in the next 14 days.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
+1...some of you whiners on this thread are really amusing. You b!tch and complain as if Apple murdered your firstborn child, YET YOU'RE STILL GOING TO BUY AN IPHONE 5S SOONER OR LATER.

Way to send a message to Apple that what they're doing is "unacceptable".

What's your purpose in life?

----------

You must be new to the iPhone launches...

There's no tactic, they're just extremely popular phones.

Not new at all to iPhone launches. I've gotten every iPhone on launch day from a carrier store or apple store every year with no issues at all. Never have they released the iPhone and not had any stock to begin with.

polzii

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
If u really want the gold or silver version, wait till they are available. That's what I'm doing.

If you don't have the patience, don't expect folks to empathize with u.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009

Very nice!

----------

If I would've heard more confirmed reports of severely constrained supplies I would've just ordered online and waited 3 days for shipping but it's never been this bad.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
What's your purpose in life?

----------

Not new at all to iPhone launches. I've gotten every iPhone on launch day from a carrier store or apple store every year with no issues at all. Never have they released the iPhone and not had any stock to begin with.

Really??? What about when they first released the white iphone???? And there were problems producing it??? White was non existent at any of the apple stores.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
All I can say is, if you are after buying an Apple iPhone on the very first day of launch and you are after a specific colour/storage capacity/carrier then you should be well prepeared to be disappinted. Last year I could not get an iPhone 5 until November. It's all deja-vo! People always come up with some conspiracy theories about Apple doing this on purpose to generate a buzz but somehow Apple always manages to sell millions of phones on the first launch weekend.

By the way, I find it very fascinating how many forum members seem to be now after the gold-silver 5S model! Because if I remember correctly a month ago or so, most people on here were having a laugh about it and saying it will only sell to Asia/rapers and chavs!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.