Larger-Screen iPhone Rumors Continue with 4.9-Inch iPhone 6, iPhone 5c Successor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 21, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to Chinese site C Technology [Google Translate, via Unwired View], Apple has begun testing a next-generation iPhone prototype with a 4.9-inch display, along with an iPhone 5c successor sporting a larger screen. The claim is somewhat different from one made by Bloomberg earlier this month stating that Apple was developing two next-generation iPhones that would feature curved displays at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, although it is likely that the company is testing various screen sizes as it often does during a development cycle.

[​IMG]
    4-inch iPhone 5s vs. 4.9-inch Samsung Galaxy S4 (Source: phoneArena.com)
    Rumors of an iPhone featuring a significantly larger screen have surfaced occasionally throughout the past couple of months, with The Wall Street Journal reporting in July and September that Apple had begun testing prototype iPhones with screens as large as six inches, and a report last month from NPD DisplaySearch speculating that Apple may release both a 4.7-inch and a 5.7-inch iPhone in 2014.

Currently, Apple's iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c both feature 4-inch Retina displays, compared to competitors like Samsung's Galaxy S4 that feature 5-inch displays. MacRumors released a printable papercraft version of a 5-inch iPhone back in February of this year after other rumors of a larger iPhone surfaced.

Article Link: Larger-Screen iPhone Rumors Continue with 4.9-Inch iPhone 6, iPhone 5c Successor

2. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

3. ElZeus macrumors regular

Pleeeeeeeease make new software features to take advantage of the new screen size / resolution.

4. Espeonia, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

Espeonia macrumors member

Espeonia

I wonder if Samsung will try to sue Apple over copying Samsung's products...

5. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

4.5" with a swype style keyboard. Honestly, I like the 4" size quite a bit .. I just want a better keyboard input method.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The same stupid rumours again and again and again. Big screen and curved display.

It seems that the only phone with big screen and curved display is one that Samsung is selling in South Korea only, and that has been a total flop. So it would be obvious that Apple would copy such an obvious flop.

8. Dwinguel macrumors member

Dwinguel

I think 4.776" is the ideal size. 4.775" would be too small and 4.777" far to big! :D

9. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

Hmm, yea I'm with ElZeus above; if this is true Apple will definitely need to take advantage of the larger screen real estate w/ some sort of new software layout or else, I fear, it'll just be a mini iPad mini.

10. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I've always thought that around 4.7" was ideal, especially if they can narrow the bezels around the device. Just make it wider instead of taller. I don't see the point of 16:9 on a phone aside from video, but worse case scenario video is the same size it is now with bars top and bottom.

11. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

With yellow cases, larger sizes and curved shapes, future iPhones sound more and more like bananas than Apple's.

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

...as long as they keep offering a smaller screen too... not ALL of us want the bigger screen.

13. yossi macrumors regular

It will be released along with the 60" 4K tv as a remote.

14. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

Anyone have the source of that background image on the iPhone in the story photo?

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Exactly. I don't like the trend of bigger phones. Hopefully they keep a smaller version running the same chip and software, unlike Android manufacturers who treat their "mini" products as lower-end.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Like they do with the iPads? Oh wait.. :rolleyes:
    My worry is hardware will be much better in the bigger iPhone like they do with the 5C and 5S now.

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Apple testing different screen sizes for their next iPhone. Who would've thunk it?

18. seecoolguy macrumors regular

seecoolguy

I hope they offer it as the 2nd product and not the next flagship

ie, iPhone6 successor to the 5S sporting the next Ax chip, and the iPhone6C with larger screen sporting the A7 chip.

if you're too blind to see the 4" screen, maybe you're too slow to notice the speed bump :D

19. Bhatu macrumors regular

Bhatu

20. 0815 macrumors 68000

120% agreed .....

I don't care too much if they come out with a bigger screen - as long as they keep the current screen size that comfortable fits in all my pockets. If I need a bigger screen, I use the iPad mini. But different people have different needs, and there seems to be market for phablets. Maybe they should make a phone enabled iPad mini/air for people with big pockets?

21. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

I blame market data for this crap. Everyone is asked "do you want a bigger screen" and they always say yes immediately without thinking exactly what that means.

I for one wouldn't welcome a larger iPhone.

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is non-news. Of course Apple is testing larger screen and probably have been doing so since the inception of the original iPhone. Do we really think Apple came up with the 4 inch screen without testing different sizes. Tastes change, technologies evolve. Apple's probably continually testing different size screens, especially with the advent of curved screens.

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Nobody wants a bigger iPhone. iPhone 5s is already the perfect size. These rumors are stupid.

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Why wouldn't you welcome it? I like the iPhone's current size and likely wouldn't buy a larger screened one, but I certainly would love to be able try out one and have the choice to buy one.

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Imagine they asked "would you like a smaller phone that fits better in your pocket and your hand". If you add the votes for "bigger screen" and "smaller phone" you'll get a total way over 100%.