Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will announce a new 13-inch MacBook Pro in May with the codename J223, according to a rumor shared by YouTuber and leaker Jon Prosser.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said Apple plans to release new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models with scissor keyboards in the second quarter of 2020. As predicted, Apple launched its new MacBook Air last month with the new keyboard, so that only leaves the 13-inch MacBook Pro, given that the 16-inch MacBook Pro was released just five months ago.

As noted by Prosser, Apple could launch a new size for its smaller ?MacBook Pro? offering, with any refresh potentially seeing a display bump to a 14-inch screen. Kuo has referred to a 14-inch model in the past, but it's not clear that this size would feature in any impending refresh. The new 14-inch model would likely replace the 13-inch MacBook Pro, which would be discontinued.

The current 13-inch MacBook Pro still uses butterfly keyboards that can suffer from issues such as sticky or unresponsive keys after prolonged use, which prompted Apple to initiate a free repair program worldwide in 2018. Apple solved the problem by reverting back to a scissor mechanism with the new Magic Keyboard on the 16-inch MacBook Pro and 13-inch MacBook Air.

Beyond the keyboard, the new 13-inch MacBook Pro is expected to get an upgraded processor in the form of one of Intel's 10th-generation Ice Lake chips, built using a 10-nanometer architecture.

Prosser has shared accurate Google leaks in the past, but he has only recently starting sharing Apple rumors, so his track record is limited. If his latest information proves to be accurate, then Apple's entire notebook lineup will have scissor keyboards by the end of next month.

Article Link: Leaker Claims New 13-inch MacBook Pro Coming as Soon as Next Month

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I never thought I'd hear of a worse source than DigiTimes, but it turns out people are starting to treat FrontPageTech like a credible source.

To which I ask, "really?"

His only claim to fame were the Pixel 3 "ultra" rumors, which turned out to be entirely wrong. Other than that, his channel is EverythingApplePro-cancer-tier, just with a news slant instead of "reviews".

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 6.09.32 AM.png

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
I never thought I'd hear of a worse source than DigiTimes, but it turns out people are starting to treat FrontPageTech like a credible source.

To which I ask, "really?"

His only claim to fame were the Pixel 3 "ultra" rumors, which turned out to be entirely wrong. Other than that, his channel is EverythingApplePro-cancer-tier, just with a news slant instead of "reviews".

View attachment 903996

That screenshot gives me douche chills

Coconut Bean

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Realistically, The new 14” MBP 256GB and 16GB RAM starts at $1299

Unfortunately I don't think so. Same as the i5 Air (8GB, Ram but only 256 GB SSD) but bigger screen and the useless touchbar. CPU might be able to clock 1.3 or 1.5 though. Unfortunately entry level thermals are worse than higher end models :(

PCMA

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
It's taking Apple a very, very long time to fix a broken keyboard.

Apple have admitted that the butterfly keyboard is crap -- after three iterations of the butterfly keyboard -- they have finally replaced it with a brand new "magic" scissor keyboard -- but only for two models. Apple is not a small company -- it shouldn't take them this long to fix mistakes.

AND ANOTHER THING -- where is Face ID for Macs ???

Remember the good old days...

PostApple2016BrainWash

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2019
Unfortunately I don't think so. Same as the i5 Air (8GB, Ram but only 256 GB SSD) but bigger screen and the useless touchbar. CPU might be able to clock 1.3 or 1.5 though. Unfortunately entry level thermals are worse than higher end models :(

Apple needs to fix it because the base model of 14” MBP is what it looks like in 2020

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Strongly considering it, especially if it has a 32GB RAM option. Any chance of a 6-core CPU for this thing? Seems a shame to buy a quad-core MBP in 2020. Otherwise I might hold out for the 16" refresh. I have a lot of VMs going on.

Not sure if it's a good idea to buy the last Intel MacBook Pro, or buy the first Apple CPU MacBook Pro. On the one hand, I won't have to worry about potential issues if I buy the last one. On the other hand, I'm sure Apple's CPU will be screaming fast and probably have some additional benefits like running iOS apps natively so you could have iPhone app widgets, or perhaps a really fast integrated GPU in the 13" model. Tough call. At the very least I hope they switch to AMD which is killing it now.

I really need to get a laptop soon since I'm only on a desktop now, and I would totally go for a used model to get me by for a couple years if the keyboards didn't suck. Otherwise I'd have to go back to a 2015 which is just too slow for what I need now and doesn't have enough RAM.

Last edited:

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Strongly considering it, especially if it has a 32GB RAM option. Any chance of a 6-core CPU for this thing? Seems a shame to buy a quad-core MBP in 2020. Otherwise I might hold out for the 16" refresh. I have a lot of VMs going on.

Not sure if it's a good idea to buy the last Intel MacBook Pro, or buy the first Apple CPU MacBook Pro. On the one hand, I won't have to worry about potential issues if I buy the last one. On the other hand, I'm sure Apple's CPU will be screaming fast and probably have some additional benefits like running iOS apps natively so you could have iPhone app widgets, or perhaps a really fast integrated GPU in the 13" model. Tough call. At the very least I hope they switch to AMD which is killing it now.

I really need to get a laptop soon since I'm only on a desktop now, and I would totally go for a used model to get me by for a couple years if the keyboards didn't suck. Otherwise I'd have to go back to a 2015 which is just too slow for what I need now and doesn't have enough RAM.

It could have 32GB, however the 16 inch could also use 128GB but it doesn’t yet. I think it will support 32GB though. It’s going to use Icelake which is 4 cores (unless Intel has made one specifically for Apple), however it’s a different part to the Air’s and will have better cooling. The thing with Apple making the 14 inch have six cores (if it was possible) is that it’s then approaching on the MacBook Pro 16 inch and that’s not what they want. I think if Apple was to put six cores on the 14 inch, there would need to be a 10 core option for the 16 inch (with it starting at 8 cores).

Reactions: macduke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.