Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Apple needs to use the M.2 form factor instead of a proprietary connector for removable storage that can offer better performance.
There is no connector in the laptops. SSD is soldered.
[automerge]1586173007[/automerge]
It could have 32GB, however the 16 inch could also use 128GB but it doesn’t yet. I think it will support 32GB though. It’s going to use Icelake which is 4 cores (unless Intel has made one specifically for Apple), however it’s a different part to the Air’s and will have better cooling. The thing with Apple making the 14 inch have six cores (if it was possible) is that it’s then approaching on the MacBook Pro 16 inch and that’s not what they want. I think if Apple was to put six cores on the 14 inch, there would need to be a 10 core option for the 16 inch (with it starting at 8 cores).
I’m hoping for 6 core 32GB 14” but am expecting top tier to be 4 core 32GB :(

Reactions: throAU and GFR50

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Mini led, 14”, new cpu, new keyboard, perfect to replace my mbp 15” 2013

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
I might be in the minority (my first mac was a 2009 vintage MBP), but I think the MBP should stay 15-16"+ Let the Air do 14" and smaller and adjust the pricing/specs accordingly.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
I might be in the minority (my first mac was a 2009 vintage MBP), but I think the MBP should stay 15-16"+ Let the Air do 14" and smaller and adjust the pricing/specs accordingly.

The thing with having no Pro at the 13-14 inch range, is that there’s many people who want power and portability, the 16 inch doesn’t have the portability factor. They could make the Air a hybrid but that then increases the price and that’s not what Apple really wants here.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Apple is so slow with Mac hardware and software development. Why another 13" when they want to go 14" anyway?

14" is only a rumour and just sounds like speculation based on the 15-16" switch. As is this 13" rumour of course - although a MBP update around now (with the scissor keyboard) would hardly be a case for Mulder and Scully.

13.3" to 14.0" would be a bigger size jump (especially in terms of proportional increase) than 15.4 to 16".

...but yes, it does defy reason that the #4 largest PC maker with a high 9-digit market cap and a gold-filled swimming pool forever has a lame duck in their range because they can only squeeze out one new model every 6 months.

Makes sense. If you upgrade the Air to a quad core i5 and 16gb of RAM it cost the same as the entry MacBook Pro, but has better specs.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the entry-level Mac Pro (the one with lower-power processors and only 2 ports) is there for since they Retina-d the Air.

Not sure if it's a good idea to buy the last Intel MacBook Pro, or buy the first Apple CPU MacBook Pro. On the one hand, I won't have to worry about potential issues if I buy the last one.

Well, the switch to ARM is also only a rumour so far. My guess is that if they're going to release ARM Macs in 2021 they'll have to announce a developer program at virtual!WWDC this year (as happened with the Intel switch) so you'll have fair warning.

Also - it depends on what sort of software you use: I'd expect Apple apps, and most "modern" Xcode-era apps to go native very rapidly, but big "pro" apps nit so much, especially if you have a lot of third-party plugins. Windows virtualisation/BootCamp is going to be a dead duck on ARM of course, Linux/docker not so much a problem, since they're already well developed on ARM and founded on source-level rather than binary compatibility.

I'm kinda "for" a switch to ARM, but Apple have to make sure that the 'last' Intel Macs are bang up-to-date, allow a decent transition period and not use it as an excuse to dumb-down MacOS.

Reactions: macduke

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
I'll be honest I'm most disappointed with the codename "J223".

Come on Apple we need something cooler than that to get excited about. :cool:

Reactions: orbital~debris

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Apple needs to use the M.2 form factor instead of a proprietary connector for removable storage that can offer better performance.
I know. . . I looked into replacing the drive in my late 2013 13" MBP. You either have to use a converter, buy a drive from OWC (which I saw had mixed reviews), or buy one that had been a part in another Mac from that era. Frustrating. But now even worse with them being part of the logic board.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It’s too bad there is no more 12” MacBook. I’ll be keeping my 2017 12” 16 GB for a long time.

Mind you, my preferred mobile device with keyboard these days is the iPad Pro 10.5”.

My next purchase will be ARM, but in the form of an 11” iPad Pro, not a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
If it is a 14" with a 32gb RAM option I'm in. If it is still the 13" with a 32gb RAM option I probably would have got it if it was released in Jan/Feb, but now I'd think I'd wait. If it doesn't have a 32gb RAM option then I'd pass either way.

Reactions: joelhinch

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
“As soon as”....

That made me laugh given how long we’ve all been waiting for a revised 13” MBP with scissor-switch keyboard And Kuo has already said it will launch in Q2.

The Apple lineup is still in an interesting place though. The iPad Pro seems to have the latest ”tech” from Apple - FaceID, the ProMotion screen, the great CPUs and even a decent front-facing camera.

I’d really hoped there would be an all-new MBP by now which would bring over the best from the iPad Pro or better still, beat it hands down on specs. I guess that’s maybe going to be the job of the 2021, full re-design?

As others have said, will be interesting to see what price the new one starts at - will they ditch the two port model - and then I’ll personally be wondering if its worth the money or not.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It’s too bad there is no more 12” MacBook. I’ll be keeping my 2017 12” 16 GB for a long time.

Mind you, my preferred mobile device with keyboard these days is the iPad Pro 10.5”.

My next purchase will be ARM, but in the form of an 11” iPad Pro, not a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

I tried so hard to like the 12" MacBook, even tried a few models. I saw that damn spinning beachball just launching word.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I bet the ff camera is still 720p :D

Haha... true!

But now that this is our new reality... does anyone really care how good your webcam is in those tiny boxes? :p

05fRE6utWAtXmByTrwqgdcU-5.jpg

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
The thing with having no Pro at the 13-14 inch range, is that there’s many people who want power and portability, the 16 inch doesn’t have the portability factor. They could make the Air a hybrid but that then increases the price and that’s not what Apple really wants here.

I get that, but wouldn't topping out the Air put it at the same level as a 13" Pro?? At that point, you're almost splitting hairs (unless Apple would make a bigger SSD, or some other differentiator, standard)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.