Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Releasing another 13" before the inevitable 14" would be the dumbest thing they could possibly do. Who, except for people who absolutely HAVE to buy a new laptop, would buy that thing?
Prosser doesn’t know if it’s 13 or 14”, Ming-Chi Kuo said 14”. My guess would be 14” as well, it only makes sense to further differentiate it from the Air.
[automerge]1586181692[/automerge]
Tim Cook is taking it slow to the point where the product ceases to exist.
Intel is rumored to be announcing Comet Lake S on April 30. Who know when it’ll ship (Comet Lake S) but a June iMac would be a decent guess imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
It could have 32GB, however the 16 inch could also use 128GB but it doesn’t yet. I think it will support 32GB though. It’s going to use Icelake which is 4 cores (unless Intel has made one specifically for Apple), however it’s a different part to the Air’s and will have better cooling. The thing with Apple making the 14 inch have six cores (if it was possible) is that it’s then approaching on the MacBook Pro 16 inch and that’s not what they want. I think if Apple was to put six cores on the 14 inch, there would need to be a 10 core option for the 16 inch (with it starting at 8 cores).

Eh, I think it would be a perfect transition.
Airs to 4core lower RAM and CPU speeds.
MBP 13/14 4 core or 6 core, possibly 32GB RAM and 4TB max SSD.
MBP 6 and 8 core, 64GB, 8TB maxes, discrete GPU (once they sort the seeming issues there..)

There is a need for a 'powerhouse' 13" - I run a lot of VMs among other things, but travel more and more for work.
A 32GB, 6 core 13/14" with 2-4TB SSD wouldn't be as overall performant as my MBP 16", but would be pretty compelling; I'm sure for others in video editing and software fields, and the lineup would be less cannabalizing/cleaner in incremental upgrades and price points.
[automerge]1586182210[/automerge]

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's because Apple employees deliberately use a proprietary connector that soldered to the storage. The M.2 form factor connector can be used for user-replaceable and offer performance improvements down the road for the customers that desire to upgrade from another vendor.
That's my point, everything is glued/soldered. Apple isn't about embracing open standards, they want to keep you from upgrading and instead buying a new computer

Last edited:
Reactions: freedomlinux

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
While I'm convinced Apple will go with 10th gen CPUs in the 13-14" MBP, I'm not sure which 10th gen processors they'd use:

Ice Lake or Comet Lake?

I'm thinking they'd go with Ice Lake in the entry level, and Comet Lake in the upgrade. That just seems counterintuitive to me. I can't see buying a 14nm++++ laptop in 2020.

PostApple2016BrainWash

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2019
Intel is rumored to be announcing Comet Lake S on April 30. Who know when it’ll ship (Comet Lake S) but a June iMac would be a decent guess imo.

The people are referring to the new design of iMac instead of another useless clock speed increase from Intel CPU.
[automerge]1586183399[/automerge]
That's my point, everything is glued/soldered. Apple isn't about embracing one standards, they want to keep you from upgrading and instead buying a new computer

Apple need to use M.2 form factor connector in order to let the customers upgrade. Currently, it is impossible to do so because Apple standard isn't any better and far worse for repairing that requires higher expenses or more replacement parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val-kyrie

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I get that on my quad-core 2017 iMac Core i5-7600 with 1 TB SSD and 24 GB RAM.

Blame MS Office.

That said, the 2017 model MacBooks are considerably faster than the 2015 models, and have a better keyboard too. And the 2017s have the 16 GB option. So, it partially depends on which models you tested.

It definitely wasn't as recent as 2017, thanks for the info.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sounds more like a $1,699 config to me.
[automerge]1586181235[/automerge]

Apple doesn’t use Intel’s WiFi solution, iirc they use Murata.

Agreed on the price of $1699: 16GB of RAM is a $200 upgrade, 512 GB will also be a $200 upgrade assuming it follows 256GB being the base.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

macfan90

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2014
Re- Waiting for Comet Lake S-series, just like the mini. You won’t see either updated until Intel ships those chips. The latest rumor is an April 30 Intel announcement.

Thanks for the info.

Then the rumors previously never should had said the iMac would be updated 'imminently" along side iPad and Mac mini. It's like Apple doesn't care about the iMac. The iMac Pro never got a real refresh since its release.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Release it in May, let the guinea pigs test it for a month, and then I'll swoop in and buy one with a student discount in July along with a free pair of Beats.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
When they put a decent video card in it, I'll look at it. Apple it is past time to upgrade your video processors across the board.. Use Your own, use AMD, Heck make nicey with Nvidia. But PLEASE No more Intel integrated - 65% BETTER THAN LAST YEAR! 65% better than crap is still crap.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That's my point, everything is glued/soldered. Apple isn't about embracing one standards, they want to keep you from upgrading and instead buying a new computer
Sure, these things don’t have any technical, manufacturability, or reliability justifications at all. *eyeroll*

Reactions: Zdigital2015

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
After buying a macbook pro... I no longer believe there is a PRO Apple laptop.

Want a mobile computer buy a laptop, want to do heavy load, buy an iMac. That is unless you are willing to pay the multithousand price for the ones with dedicated GPU which then you probably will still underperform highly a desktop. Also once it breaks due to its small enclosure+high heat+faulty internals+bad batteries... good luck fixing it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sure, these things don’t have any technical, manufacturability, or reliability justifications at all. *eyeroll*
No not at all, they are purely and simply a business justification to prevent people from upgrading

No SD card slot -> No buy
There are many laptops that have forgone the use of the SD card (yes I miss it too), but the solution is simple enough as it is - a USB to SD card reader, i.e., a dongle.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
Why wouldn't they wait till WWDC in June to release said MacBook? People are still excited about the MacBook Air, and the people I've spoken to would buy it over the current 13" Pro. No reason to squash all the enthusiasm for it. Lots of people are replacing their older 13" MBPs with the new MBA.

• Angry
Reactions: DeepIn2U

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Why wouldn't they wait till WWDC in June to release said MacBook? People are still excited about the MacBook Air, and the people I've spoken to would buy it over the current 13" Pro. No reason to squash all the enthusiasm for it. Lots of people are replacing their older 13" MBPs with the new MBA.
When Apple releases products before WWDC, it usually means they have other more important announcements to make.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It could have 32GB, however the 16 inch could also use 128GB but it doesn’t yet. I think it will support 32GB though. It’s going to use Icelake which is 4 cores (unless Intel has made one specifically for Apple), however it’s a different part to the Air’s and will have better cooling. The thing with Apple making the 14 inch have six cores (if it was possible) is that it’s then approaching on the MacBook Pro 16 inch and that’s not what they want. I think if Apple was to put six cores on the 14 inch, there would need to be a 10 core option for the 16 inch (with it starting at 8 cores).
Well, I was hoping with the MacBook Air gaining four cores that the high-end MBP 13" could do six since the high-end MBP 16" can do eight.

I think in the coming years the numbers of cores are going to get insane and is going to be the primary means of speed increases as software becomes better optimized to handle it. AMD is already getting a bit nuts with their 64-core CPUs on desktop and ARM seems built to have a ton.

Seems like I will most likely have to wait for the MBP 16" update. I'm not in dire need, just tired of being stuck in my basement office on my iMac and want more flexibility through portability.

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Interesting. I wonder if we see two MBPs 14" this year – the smaller version of 16" and then completely overhauled with Mini-LED screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.