Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube channel creator EverythingApplePro caused a minor Twitter storm this morning by claiming a CAD image of the so-called "iPhone 12" suggests some rumors floated by leakers about Apple's upcoming lineup are off base.

The leaked CAD image in question shows the same size of notch and triple-lens camera layout as found on the current iPhone 11 Pro series. Previous rumors have suggested Apple's 2020 iPhones will have a smaller notch and a rear LiDAR 3D camera in addition to the three existing lenses.

EverythingApplePro now believes that only the larger 6.7-inch "iPhone 12 Pro Max" will get LiDAR. The expected 3D camera setup was also absent in molds and designs leaked earlier this week.

It's worth noting that CAD images of unreleased iPhones shared online are usually presented as official designs leaked from production factories, but are often made by case makers themselves to predict the design of unreleased devices. With that in mind, it may be that the notch is no smaller in these designs because case makers would probably not need to have an accurate replica of that area. The same could also be said about the absence of the fourth camera lens in the renders.

Other CAD images have shown a Smart Connector-style input where the SIM card try used to be. EverythingApplePro now thinks the "Smart Connector" is actually an mmwave antenna. According to rumors, all of the iPhones in the iPhone 12 lineup will feature 5G connectivity, though it's not yet clear if all models will have super fast mmWave support in all countries.

Apple is expected to announce four iPhones in three different sizes this fall: A 5.4-inch ‌iPhone‌, a 6.7-inch ‌iPhone‌, and two 6.1-inch iPhones. One 6.1-inch model and the 6.7-inch model will be higher-end iPhones, while the other 6.1-inch ‌iPhone‌ and the 5.4-inch ‌iPhone‌ will be lower-end models and successors to the ‌iPhone 11‌.

Rumors also suggest at least two of the new iPhones coming in 2020 will feature a significant redesign with a metal frame that's similar to the frame of the iPhone 4 or the iPad Pro.

Several other rumor mongers have since waded into the Twitter thread with their own claims and counterclaims. Suffice to say there is much disagreement on the origins and accuracy of the shared CAD image. Apple is expected to begin production of its 2020 ‌iPhone‌ lineup next month. For more on what to expect from the 2020 ‌‌iPhone‌‌ models, be sure to see our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Leaker: 'iPhone 12' to Feature Same Notch Size, LiDAR Limited to 6.7-inch Model

Kiorr

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2017
EverythingApplePro now thinks the "Smart Connector" is actually an mmwave antenna.

what if it is a fingerprint scanner on the side of the phone!
like some rumors suggested for a cheap 2021 model

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
How can they encourage uptake of a feature by limiting it to one model of phone.
Perhaps it uses too much power. But you can bet your bottom dollar it’ll be on the smaller models next year.

Reactions: KJH

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Since when is Everythingapplepro a leaker? He usually just uses the information from people like Ben Geskin or since this year Jon Prosser and sites like macrumors and 9to5mac. I would take any leaks from him with a grain of salt because he got no track record of own leaks that I know of.

shabagiuly

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
Everythingapplepro is everything except a leaker. And for this « leak » his source is an unknown twitter account. So calm down everybody and wait for the release :)

Reactions: mazz0 and one more

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Sounds boring and who is this for exactly? People still rocking an old iPhone 6? Early adopters dying to get their hands on the „redesign“?

i personally used to be one of those who always wanted the latest but over the years I realized it makes no sense to spend so much money on a device, only to go back to the same apps you have always been using unless your phone is falling apart

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
We all know EAP will come out with some overly dramatic YouTube video apologizing if he is wrong in September. Lol. Anything for those clicks and views...

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I personally never watch his channel or read his tweets. Something smug and very unlikable about him. One minute he hates Apple, the next he doesn’t. One minute he does a “Samsung for a daily driver” video and slates Apple, then the next video he’s back on the dummy teat. Tedious and arrogant. Yuk.

Reactions: CVUSA

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
If that's indeed the case, then there's no point in waiting and an SE2 will be replacing my 7.

Please don’t force us to a bigger phone for the better features.
Funny you should say this, because my problem with the 11 lineup was exactly opposite - don't force me into flagship pricing for the smaller device. I tried the non-pro 11 but it was humongous and very uncomfortable to use.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.