Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Cape Code Blue. On and off usage since phone launch.

Attachments

• IMG_4417.jpg
    IMG_4417.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_4418.jpg
    IMG_4418.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 735

Biltaji

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
I didn’t like the light brown color so I watched the YouTube videos used sand paper and coconut oil. But I think I over used the oil. I can still feel that the leather is soaked with oil. But I love three outcome. I think I will go through the process again!

Attachments

• 4BAE2A80-4A78-4FA5-A51F-D73CD443AAAF.jpeg
    4BAE2A80-4A78-4FA5-A51F-D73CD443AAAF.jpeg
    931.6 KB · Views: 833
  • DC2F275F-164D-4A24-B308-170C8C4ECA20.jpeg
    DC2F275F-164D-4A24-B308-170C8C4ECA20.jpeg
    861 KB · Views: 857

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Ended up buying one of these leather cases on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/SURPHY-Prote...case&qid=1555540201&s=wireless&sr=1-5-catcorr

Have to say I am really impressed for a third party leather case. I grabbed the last Forest Green they had at the time. Looks like they have also sold out of the brown color for the time being. Really great fit. Looks pretty much identical to the Apple ones just without the Apple logo.

Doesn't seem to have as much of a "wax" layer or whatever Apple puts on their cases. Really soft touch and grippy right off the bat. It is definitely going to be a nice complement to my saddle brown and product red Apple leather cases.

This thread is such a bad influence though. I went from running my phones caseless pretty much forever to buying 4 leather cases (3 Apple leather cases and this Surphy one) all since the iPhone XS Max came out...

Biltaji

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
[doublepost=1549638511][/doublepost]
I went to my Mujjo with sandpaper and coconut oil. Don’t be frightened to be aggressive with the sandpaper either. Looks great now and will repeat the process in a month or so

I used sandpaper and coco oil. But I think I over used it with the oil. My case is dark and has a rigid feeling from the back. Shall I repeat the process of sandpaper to remove some of the oil off it. I want the Patina look though.

moncho33

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2018
My midnight blue that I’ve been using for a month. Just natural use, no conditioners etc.
Wish mine still looked like that.
[doublepost=1555807267][/doublepost]My Saddle Brown is almost a year old. Love how it’s turning darker. The Midnight Blue is around 10 months old and it just looks black compared to the iPad leather Smart Cover in Midnight Blue.

A700F00E-E1A2-4B14-89E7-2CCCE473C647.jpeg 9370B9B3-32BD-42D7-B314-28FB3384DD48.jpeg

deloliilol

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2019
Hey, I REALLY can’t decide between Red and Saddle Brown for my iPhone X.
I’d love to get photos of both after months of usage because this really matters to me (I’d like to use it for years). Thanks :)
PS : I love both.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Hey, I REALLY can’t decide between Red and Saddle Brown for my iPhone X.
I’d love to get photos of both after months of usage because this really matters to me (I’d like to use it for years). Thanks :)
PS : I love both.
I have both. I have used the brown one a lot more and you can tell.

Edit: the red one is actually quite a bit darker than the pic shows. Those pics are from a couple weeks ago. I’ll try to get a new one.

5217FE4F-FB0A-4832-8408-35614522ED57.jpeg
78225F1C-C7BB-4F50-9659-838946E4DFCE.jpeg

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
So do you recommend me rather the Saddle Brown or the Red ? Thanks by the way :)
Well I use the brown one more. I like how it ages quicker. A couple other things to note though are that in my case at least the saddle brown has a thinner feel of actual leather than the red. The red one had more grip right off the bat while the saddle brown one took a few weeks to get that coating off which felt really slick due to the thinner leather. But that could just be normal variation.

I want to like the red one more but I just don’t quite use it enough to get it as dark as I’d like. It’s getting there slowly and I like where it’s headed but I’m impatient.

Here’s one more pic of them side by side on a white sheet of paper for color reference.

86B38A88-F4D9-4441-B346-253ED60BF458.jpeg

Edit: can’t go wrong with either. Don’t know which I’d push you towards. Sorry - ha.

deloliilol

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2019
Well I use the brown one more. I like how it ages quicker. A couple other things to note though are that in my case at least the saddle brown has a thinner feel of actual leather than the red. The red one had more grip right off the bat while the saddle brown one took a few weeks to get that coating off which felt really slick due to the thinner leather. But that could just be normal variation.

I want to like the red one more but I just don’t quite use it enough to get it as dark as I’d like. It’s getting there slowly and I like where it’s headed but I’m impatient.

Here’s one more pic of them side by side on a white sheet of paper for color reference.

View attachment 833856

Edit: can’t go wrong with either. Don’t know which I’d push you towards. Sorry - ha.

Thanks !
[doublepost=1556257518][/doublepost]

View attachment 833856

How long have you had them for ? :)

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
3 weeks later, and this is aging nicely. I see lots of posts asking about how to get the look quick, sanding the case, coconut oil, etc. let them age folks....it’s so much sweeter when you earn it! I have some nice boots with great wear, and there is something so nice about how leather naturally wears in with age. To me, it’s an extension of your time while using it.

3999e00ab7f85f71e1244cdd45d8cdc6.jpg

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I have 3 apple leather cases for my Xs max, black, saddle brown and Forrest green. Out of the 3 the Forrest green is the nicest leather. Feels and smells gorgeous. Why they’re all of deferent quality I don’t know.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Has anyone bought any Apple Leather cases from Amazon Warehouse in used condition? Been thinking about scooping up another at roughly half price that they claim is in “like new” condition.

I guess I could always give it a shot and return if it I am not happy with the condition. Just curious if anyone has tried that route?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
nothing. just using it normally.
Many variables as to how much an Apple leather case obtains a patina. An example would be do you keep it in a dirty pants pocket or are your hands super clean
However using a creme polish that is lighter than your case will help it get a patina quicker. Remember use a lighter shade than your case. And if you don’t like it Saddle soap will remove the polish. Also remember
Less is more when you use the polish

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Do any of you have creaky sides on the leather cases? I have a black 8 Plus leather case and it creaks on the sides when you grip the phone. Stuff like that wouldn't bother me at all but when I'm browsing on my phone with a good grip, I can feel the case slightly creaking on the sides and it feels as if the phone is too small for it.

Can Apple replace this case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.