Lenovo the innovator? Apple the procrastinator.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macenforcer, Aug 12, 2008.

1. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Apple come on! When lenovo is kicking your butt this bad you have to do SOMETHING. Steve the ref is counting and he's at "9". KO.

Look at this thing:

Lenovo W700

[​IMG]

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Yeah my next laptop is going to be a Thinkpad ultralight.

You forgot the important part though... this has a quad core processor and all the goodies, and its not even gimungous.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Wow, and it even runs Vista!

No thanks...

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

4. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Man that is georgous! Number pad too. WACOM TABLET? SICK!

Love it.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

That has everything the upcoming (with glass trackpad and everything) MacBook Pro would have and could have, earlier with much more.

Seriously Apple.

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I agree, I think it's ugly. It looks ancient, and even though I frequently use WACOM tablets I would never consider this. Most people who work seriously with those tablets want bigger ones. It looks like a weird live-draw gimmick to me.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some very good laptops out there I wish Apple would draw some inspiration from, but this ain't one of them.

8. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

- Dual Raid hard drives
    - QUAD CPU
    - 1GB VIDEO CARD
    - 400NIT BRIGHT SCREEN
    - Fingerprint reader
    - WIMAX
    - Wireless USB
    - BLU-RAY!!!

When will the Macbook Pro get these features? Cricket cricket cricket...

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

That thing is hideous~! You sure that lenovo isnt the one on the ground with the little mario ref at the count of 9??

10. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Keep dreamin.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'll quote from pdnonline.com (Photo District News):

Also, though this is a 17-inch model, it's big looking, much bulkier than the 17-inch MacBook Pro which is the laptop Lenovo clearly envisions as its target. Though we haven't gotten an official weight on the W700 yet, we estimated the fully-configured model weighs in at just under 8 pounds.

We also weren't crazy about the battery life on the W700 which maxes out at just 2 hours.

So if you carry this to a photo shoot, you are exhausted before it's even started, and after two hours you can go home. That's innovation.

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Most likely late 2009 ~ 2010 for quad-core, 1 GB VRAM, 1 HD with the capacity of 2 2008 HDs.

We'll be waiting a while, folks.

Hideous or not hideous, it's a much better performer than the MacBook Pro, and I'm assuming for the high-end pro market, performance > looks.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It looks like two old Thinkpads and a blue pocket calculator went through the Enterprise's transporter together and got mutated on the other end! Show some mercy and euthanize it! It's cruel to make it live that way, especially infected with the world's most popular virus: Vista! :D

14. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Sorry to say but that aluminum casing of the macbook pro has gotten PRETTY lame by now. I would like it better if they painted it with dog crap. Something has to change with it.

15. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Ok there. You can stop trolling.
    :rolleyes:

You HAVE read that Apple's notebook lineup will be entirely aluminum upon the next revisions, right? It is more ECO friendly afterall.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's way too big for me, and I don't think that most of the features it has are really appropriate to the MBP because of weight tradeoffs (some exceptions, like it'll be nice when Quad Core Extremes come to the MBP, but I don't think the market will appreciate an eight pound notebook just so it can have two HDs).

On the other hand, I think that it is part of a larger set of new products that shows that Lenovo is doing a good job of stewarding the Thinkpad brand. I think they really are.

17. Fabiano macrumors regular

look at the size of this freakin monster! cmon. the MBP 17" is at least half the size.

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Mockups please.

:D

And at most half the performance.

19. Abhorred macrumors member

20. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Nicely specced machine, I like the WACOM tablet integration (will only fill a small niche though). If I had $3000 plus to fart around with and was an avid Windows user who did CAD on the go, this might be a viable option.

I highly dislike Lenovos, they are not my favorite. I would (shudder) buy a Dell before a Lenovo waste. Sure you can run 'em over, but I don't need to go rock climbing with my lappy.

21. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

No thanks. x2

I'm 100% content with my Macbook Pro's unmatched elegance and power. Couldn't be happier. :)

22. mgclayton macrumors member

I disagree entirely, especially with your definition of 'Innovator'.

Let's look at some of the quotes from the Engadget review:
    "...this for-creatives-only behemoth is designed for sheer pixel pushing... and little else."
    "...the W700 starts at $2,978 and moves skyward from there."
    OK, for a small niche of people this will be a fabulous machine, but Wacom aside, what is innovative? They've just shoved the biggest and best available into a Thinkpad box.

The iTunes store changed the way people bought music, the iPod changed the way we listened to it. The smartphone market has been changed for ever since the iPhone was introduced. Dell and others have scrambled to copy the iMac, many features of the MacBooks and MBPs, the Air, etc.
    THAT is innovation!
    If there were an 'innovation' boxing match, Lenovo vs. Apple wouldn't happen as you couldn't put a Featherweight in the same ring as a Heavyweight.
    I bet Apple sells way more MacBook Airs than Lenovo sell of this W700.

23. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

I am no IBM or Apple fanboy but this thing is not only ugly, but the specs are just silly. Sorry, this is not in the same market as the MBP.