Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Sounds good.

Why not start with a command line version that could be used like any other package manager on gnu + linux? That really wouldn't take long to put together, and it would be great for people who have just installed the OS, eg
Code:
appstore install vlc textmate transmission
which would grab the latest available version for the user's OS.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I'd probably do it via linked downloads. You won't have to host it this way, but rather you'd just have the download "button" connect to their server and download the correct version.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'd probably do it via linked downloads. You won't have to host it this way, but rather you'd just have the download "button" connect to their server and download the correct version.

Keeping in mind that linked downloads are at the mercy of someone else keeping the software available.
This is the very reason that myself and many others tend to maintain our own collections of PPC software, you cannot rely on it staying available out there in the world.
For instance, right now I've pooched my copy of "Mirage" for PPC, and as of yet cannot locate a working version.
This was the app that yielded a transparent Dock for me in Leopard.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you do go the linked download route, I suggest keeping a local version of every linked file in case the linked version goes away. Then if the linked version goes away, host the item yourself (with permission of the developer of course).

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Directly linking to the developers site is a good idea and should be the first choice. But it is definitely a good idea to have the file backed up as so many of these go missing and it will only get worse over the coming years.

I, like so many others here, have a collection of PPC apps. I keep them on a flash drive so when I install Leopard on different PPC Mac or reload a previous Mac, I can easily start the updating process.

Again, I am a really big fan of this idea and it would be nice to have a place to go for them.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is the very reason that myself and many others tend to maintain our own collections of PPC software, you cannot rely on it staying available out there in the world.
Yes, this exactly. I keep a folder in the Downloads folder for apps or anything else I download. Periodically, I burn a disk and file it away. You never know what you'll need and when and you can't count on it staying up.
For instance, right now I've pooched my copy of "Mirage" for PPC, and as of yet cannot locate a working version.
Good news. A disk I burned four years ago and the first one I pulled out tonight to check has what you want.

Here you go…Mirage.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, other than a donation at some point I can offer whatever apps are on my backup disks. I've got crap dating back to 1999 on various disks. Of course not all of it is Tiger/Leopard but I may have it somewhere if you're looking for it.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Well, other than a donation at some point I can offer whatever apps are on my backup disks. I've got crap dating back to 1999 on various disks. Of course not all of it is Tiger/Leopard but I may have it somewhere if you're looking for it.

I might be needing your disks for this in the future lol!

whatever happened to this very similar idea for a software repository, proposed some time ago by another member?

Only thing different between him and I is that I'll get it done :)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Fantastic idea! Is there any chance this could come to Tiger too? (I use it more that Leopard).

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Keeping in mind that linked downloads are at the mercy of someone else keeping the software available.

This is true also. Even if it's abandonware, though, it can still be considered their property. I love the idea and hope for the best, but some developers are (censoreds) when it comes to posting even old versions of software. :(

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Yes, this exactly. I keep a folder in the Downloads folder for apps or anything else I download. Periodically, I burn a disk and file it away. You never know what you'll need and when and you can't count on it staying up.

Good news. A disk I burned four years ago and the first one I pulled out tonight to check has what you want.

Here you go…Mirage.

Right on, Man!!!!! I grabbed the .dmg as well since I have needed it for some time and now I can "deck out" my iBook G4!!!! Woohoo!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Right on, Man!!!!! I grabbed the .dmg as well since I have needed it for some time and now I can "deck out" my iBook G4!!!! Woohoo!
LOL! Glad I could help.

*NOTE* Anything I post to download from my Dropbox account here or in other forums I generally tend to leave up as a service for those looking for things (unless it's a huge file). Usually I apply a red label in my Public folder so I know not to delete that particular file.

In this case it was one specific file for one user with a specific interest and I intended to delete the file, which of course would blow the link. However, as it seems to have attracted others I'll just leave it up for now.

----------

Me too - thanks !!

I also keep everything I downloaded backed up, both Tiger and Leopard versions where they differ, if it helps when the time comes :apple:

Cheers :)

Hugh
You too, huh? LMAO! :D

OK! Just going to leave it there. Anyone that wants it, just download it. :)

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
Great concept!

Why don't you name it Power App Store?

I suspect Apple would have issues with the App Store part, I would avoid. Also usually Repo means Repossession as another poster pointed out, so would have potentially awkward connotations. So, I'd stick with your PowerPC market, or PowerPC depot, or PowerPC Archive, etc.

Great idea BTW!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Also usually Repo means Repossession as another poster pointed out, so would have potentially awkward connotations.
I can see the connotation. I suggested "repo" from the point of view of a jailbroken iPhone user. In that context "repo" means Repository.

But as has been pointed out, people probably won't get that. Just like when you mention the term jailbreak people all of a sudden think "illegal" and Apple's never discouraged them from that thought process.

So…repo's out.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I can see the connotation. I suggested "repo" from the point of view of a jailbroken iPhone user. In that context "repo" means Repository.

But as has been pointed out, people probably won't get that. Just like when you mention the term jailbreak people all of a sudden think "illegal" and Apple's never discouraged them from that thought process.

So…repo's out.

I always liked Farmer's Market, and Market is where you go to find stuff, and we like stuff so we go to Markets :D

Repo wouldn't have been bad but when I think repo I think "Oh that guy just got his truck repoed" and don't think anything of repositories.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I always liked Farmer's Market, and Market is where you go to find stuff, and we like stuff so we go to Markets :D

Repo wouldn't have been bad but when I think repo I think "Oh that guy just got his truck repoed" and don't think anything of repositories.
Yeah, I'm in a minority. Most people think the same way you do about the word. No big deal, it was just one in a series of suggestions.

The name you have now is a good one.

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
Yeah, I'm in a minority. Most people think the same way you do about the word. No big deal, it was just one in a series of suggestions.

The name you have now is a good one.

At the risk of being a film bore (I'm happy to take the risk...!), I only know about the connotation because of the cult 80s classic film, 'Repo man'. It isn't a term that gets used over here (in the UK).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/

Market is fine. In the UK anyway...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.