LG Expected to Supply Face ID Technology on New iPhone X, iPad Pro, and iPhone X Plus This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is planning a significant investment in LG Innotek to secure supply of 3D sensing modules for next-generation iPhone and iPad models expected to launch this year, according to Korean website The Investor.

[​IMG]
    iPad Pro render by Benjamin Geskin and rough mockup of iPhone X and iPhone X Plus

The upfront payment could be worth as much as around $820.9 million, which LG Innotek would use to build additional facilities for production of 3D sensing and camera modules for mobile devices, the report claims.

The 3D sensing modules assembled by LG Innotek, including the flood illuminator and dot projector, are key components of the iPhone X's new TrueDepth camera system, enabling features such as Face ID and Animoji.

The investment would make sense given Apple plans to launch a refreshed iPhone X, a larger iPhone X Plus, and a mid-range iPhone each with Face ID later this year, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple will also release at least one iPad Pro model with Face ID this year, according to Mark Gurman at Bloomberg News.

The investment could help Apple avoid the temporary supply chain issues it experienced with 3D sensing modules late last year, ensuring availability of the new iPhone X, iPhone X Plus, and iPad Pro is more plentiful.

Article Link: LG Expected to Supply Face ID Technology on New iPhone X, iPad Pro, and iPhone X Plus This Year

2. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

3. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

FaceID would make sense on the iPad in conjunction with TouchID, and ONLY provided the numerous kinks (e.g. operating on landscape mode) are fully ironed out first.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm looking forward to an iPad Pro with slim bezels and Face ID!

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which means Apple desn't want a repeat of productions issues late into the production phase.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Why would the next version not be called XI?

7. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

8. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Can’t wait to hear about all the faulty Face ID units this year

9. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

Multiple logins with Face ID and iOS 12 on iPad (Pro). Yes please, Apple.

Higher ASP could mitigate the drop in unit sales. Could also spur people to upgrade. But I doubt we'll see this anytime soon.

10. Viking iSheep macrumors newbie

Viking iSheep

Because Americans don’t understand how Roman numerals work.

11. -BigMac- macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

12. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

My wallet is ready for an iPad Pro, if a new and better MBP is released as well!

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

From someone with a Face ID device, I don’t think I would want both on my device. Face ID is plenty. Just make Face ID better and for iPad. Plenty.

14. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

15. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

LG and Samsung = Android.
    So while we all talk about how innovative Apple is, remember they rely on the rest of the industry to produce components.

I'm not saying it's bad, but the after being in the tech industry for 30 years, the industry is incestuous and makes strange bedfellows.

16. heov macrumors regular

I hope not!! How would you hold it?! They'd have to program some smart touch rejection if there are no bezels. Not to mention unless it's OLED, they'd need a bezel for the digitizer in an LCD set up

17. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

The same way I hold my current 9.7" Pro, by the edges? lol (FYI, I can 'palm' my 9.7")

18. ph001bi macrumors regular

I could do with a 4K screen on the 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I'd like Face ID on my MacBook Pro too. I got so used to it on the X than I now find it old school when I use it on the MBP.

I know, first world problem.

19. heov macrumors regular

Can't wait until they get this to a small package. Flood illuminator, camera IR sensor, dot projector... all in one tiny lens! Looks so clunky right now. It'll make the notch smaller

20. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

It'd look like the Essential PH-1 then. I know, I own one.

21. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Face ID...no thanks.

22. heov macrumors regular

But you'd be touching the screen. Like if you are holding it with one hand. I get you could do 2 handed in portrait mode... but usually in landscape mode, people grip it in a way where they'd be touching the screen.

It's probably why Apple still has large bezels on top and bottom (vs sides)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2018 ---
    I own one too. Then, they'll figure out how to put it behind the screen :)

23. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I really want Face ID on an iPad. But man, do I really not want to buy yet another smart keyboard. Cutting out the top and bottom bezels would be nice though, also the weight reduction plus ditching the home button would all be great.

24. jdillings macrumors 68000

25. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64