Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
I'm just glad we were able to send Mitt Romney over to help out. :D

Jeremy Clarkson (from Top Gear) apparently didn't appreciate the help we sent there. :p (I took out the expletive in case it gets me in trouble here)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-28 at 12.30.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-28 at 12.30.10 AM.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 79

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I was never that excited about the Olympics themselves- but that open ending ceremony was amazing! I knew it would be brilliant as soon as they had the Shipping Forecast at the beginning- that in itself is a British institution and showed that the ceremony was not going to take itself too seriously!

PS - in your face Mitt Romney!

Last edited:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Is it true that NBC cut the tribute to the 7/7 victims? If so then that is utterly disgraceful
I thought that bit was really touching, especially as they also had a tribute wall of photos displayed just beforehand.

Loved the copper petals and the skydiving monarch, and laughed right the way through Mr. Bean's bit :)
Jeremy Clarkson (from Top Gear) apparently didn't appreciate the help we sent there. :p (I took out the expletive in case it gets me in trouble here)
LOL. Burning Jag :D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Cycled across town to see the Road Race from near the start. Got there early enough to get a spot outside the Queen's House. Great atmosphere and free!

7661306216_14bae3fd8a.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbieduncan/sets/72157630786895208/with/7661306216/

Of course managed to get a puncture (actually shredded the tyre) riding home so "free" ended up being more like £45 once I had to stop at Evan's cycles to get a new tyre and inner tube and pay their labour costs!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Great show. Great soundtrack. Some beautiful touches and some lovely humour.

Super. :)

Ditto… there was some amazing attention to detail and nods to pop culture in the initial countdown & cutscenes that had me giggling. And the forging of the Olympic Rings was just an immense histrionic, visceral, statement.

article-2179920-143FBAE9000005DC-947_964x534.jpg

Gosh indeed. Marvellous.

article-2179920-143FC500000005DC-510_964x527.jpg

And they'll be a hundred thousand children wanting those illuminated duvets… including me. :)

P.S. Does anyone happen to know the name of the ambient music that was used during the memorial scene of photographs? I've heard this used before by the BBC and I've often wondered what is was called, and who it was by.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Mr Bean playing Chariots of Fire was pure British humour at it's best. Well done London fantastic show.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
P.S. Does anyone happen to know the name of the ambient music that was used during the memorial scene of photographs? I've heard this used before by the BBC and I've often wondered what is was called, and who it was by.

I think you mean the clip of "An Ending (Ascent)" by Brian Eno, from the "Apollo" album.

EDIT: beaten by robbieduncan, but I thnk we're agreed. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Does anyone happen to know the name of the ambient music that was used during the memorial scene of photographs? I've heard this used before by the BBC and I've often wondered what is was called, and who it was by.

Although Mr. Duncan has already posted the YouTube link, it's from one of my favourite albums, Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks by Brian Eno (incl Roger Eno and Daniel Lanois). If you like pedal-steel guitars in space, it's a must-have. Look for the remastered version. Brian Eno: another British genius who got a slight look-in.

One of the more memorable moments for me last night was the honour guard of 500 workers on the stadium for the Olympic flame. The entire ceremony — particularly the flame lighting — and everything leading up to it was centred around inclusiveness.

Beijing: removed the singing child because she was too 'ugly' and replaced her with a a more photogenic girl. London: signing deaf choir, people in wheelchairs, no-one airbrushed out... except for Mitt Romney. ;)

Biggest story of the day, apart from the athletes, seems to be ticketing problems with mess-ups up at Wimbledon and empty seats at the gymnastics and swimming because sponsors have failed to turn up. That will go down like a cup of cold vomit with the public, I'm sure.

Going out and about in town today before I leave the country on Monday. Perhaps I'll see some things worth taking a snap of with my phone.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002

Another forum I'm on said it was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4WxQ6dnn0

I think you mean the clip of "An Ending (Ascent)" by Brian Eno, from the "Apollo" album.

Many thanks, OllyW, robbieduncan, FourCandles, & Blue Velvet. :)

Very much appreciated. :)

Although Mr. Duncan has already posted the YouTube link, it's from one of my favourite albums, Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks by Brian Eno (incl Roger Eno and Daniel Lanois). If you like pedal-steel guitars in space, it's a must-have. Look for the remastered version. Brian Eno: another British genius who got a slight look-in.

Worryingly it didn't even enter my mind that it might be Brian Eno, despite owning 7 of his albums, and even inventing one and referencing it in my university dissertation to see if my lecturers were really paying attention (they weren't, really how could they possibly think 'Wallpaper: Music For Lounges' was really a Brian Eno album?).

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Is it true that NBC cut the tribute to the 7/7 victims? If so then that is utterly disgraceful

Yes, it's true. NBC's coverage so far has been a joke and we're only on day 2. Gonna be a long 3 weeks.

If the BBC had cut coverage to a tribute to 9/11 victims in olympics hosted in the US, there would be mass outrage all across this country. But it's OK when we do it :rolleyes:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes, it's true. NBC's coverage so far has been a joke and we're only on day 2. Gonna be a long 3 weeks.

If the BBC had cut coverage to a tribute to 9/11 victims in olympics hosted in the US, there would be mass outrage all across this country. But it's OK when we do it :rolleyes:
Say what you want about ESPN and their talking heads but they do live coverage the right way. Just look at their Wimbledon coverage this year, live for the first time since they ripped the rights away from NBC. I really wanted then to win the new olympic rights deal. Why would the IOC want NBC to destroy the games the way they do.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Well even though I watched it 5 hours late. Thank You NBC.

It was a great spectacle. Indeed. The whole thing was fantastic.

Well done Britain.. Well done.

I loved all of the music.

Who were those drummers ?

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
I'm really upset. The cable company I subscribe to isn't supporting live broadcasting for the NBC Olympic app for my iPad and iPhone.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Only two medals thus far and not even Gold in either case. We have been pathetic. USA and China dominating. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.