Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
yes... loving the beach volleyball... wow. darn near stimulus overload today with germany v brazil.

The Brazilians are...blessed.

It's really disappointing trying to watch the Olympics on the west coast, though. Absolutely everything is spoiled. I've done my best to stay off twitter and whatnot, but I've still been spoiled on almost every event thus far.

MattAtlanta

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
oh yeah.. you've got it rough on the west coast.

i've been burned a few times already by unintentionally stumbling across different results.... especially with the swimming. :mad:

for you, it's just waking up early and going for it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles

It's really disappointing trying to watch the Olympics on the west coast, though. Absolutely everything is spoiled. I've done my best to stay off twitter and whatnot, but I've still been spoiled on almost every event thus far.
I used to hide from sports news until I had a chance to watch the west-coast TV coverage, but I have a different opinion this time. For this Olympics I need to be a little more selective about what I watch, because there are soooooo many hours of coverage. So I actually appreciate when somebody tells me "Be sure to watch the _____ event - something exciting happened" or even if they tell me what the outcome was. I may not be surprised as I watch, but I won't miss the big achievements or controversies, which are likely to be what's most worth remembering about these games.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I used to hide from sports news until I had a chance to watch the west-coast TV coverage, but I have a different opinion this time. For this Olympics I need to be a little more selective about what I watch, because there are soooooo many hours of coverage. So I actually appreciate when somebody tells me "Be sure to watch the _____ event - something exciting happened" or even if they tell me what the outcome was. I may not be surprised as I watch, but I won't miss the big achievements or controversies, which are likely to be what's most worth remembering about these games.

Yup. Like a pothead winning 2 silver medals so far to add to his 16 others. Ha !

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Ugh. Just decided to watch them, the coverage is terrible. I don't want to see a bunch of slow motion comparisons. Thank god they put on the balance beam thing, I was tired of seeing guys swimming...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ugh. Just decided to watch them, the coverage is terrible. I don't want to see a bunch of slow motion comparisons. Thank god they put on the balance beam thing, I was tired of seeing guys swimming...

You should watch the women's field hockey. I've started calling them chicks with sticks. They are a mean looking bunch.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
You should watch the women's field hockey. I've started calling them chicks with sticks. They are a mean looking bunch.

Hehe these women are so freaking strong! I just put on soccer (I actually understand a little bit of it) and some of them are... um masculine... I thought some of China's players were guys with long hair! :what:

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
How about them women's volleyball matches?

Quite pleasing to watch :)

The Dutch womens hockey team... :eek: ;)

----------

Congrats to Michael Phelps, most decorated Olympian in history. 19 and counting...

What an absolute legend and a really nice bloke too. Well done USA!

Team GB need some more medals now!

Btw, do many people play Hockey in the US? (I mean the original field type).

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How about them women's volleyball matches?

Quite pleasing to watch :)

yes... loving the beach volleyball... wow. darn near stimulus overload today with germany v brazil.

Of course women's beach volleyball gets a lot of attention due to the nature of the outfits and the attractivenes of the athletes, but what Misty May and Kerri Walsh are doing is truly incredible. In two straight Olympics and thus far into their third, they have never lost a set! We're not talking about just winning games and getting a medal, they are flawless, perfect, undefeated. :eek:

It is just amazing to think that for over 8 years now they have won every time they set foot on the sand. I so hope they keep the streak alive and end these games with another gold medal.

MattAtlanta

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Of course women's beach volleyball gets a lot of attention due to the nature of the outfits and the attractivenes of the athletes, but what Misty May and Kerri Walsh are doing is truly incredible. In two straight Olympics and thus far into their third, they have never lost a set! We're not talking about just winning games and getting a medal, they are flawless, perfect, undefeated. :eek:

It is just amazing to think that for over 8 years now they have won every time they set foot on the sand. I so hope they keep the streak alive and end these games with another gold medal.

Yes, this is incredible.

It was mentioned during May/Walsh's last match that they not only want to keep the not dropping a set streak, but as they approach each set, they expect/want to limit their opponents to 17/18 points... remarkable. The pressure must be unbelievable.

I just hope that if they do lose a set, it won't completely derail them psychologically.

At any rate, they are absolute demons out there.... and good looking ones... lol.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I have to say... it's frightening how many people, and presumably British ones at that, display the Union Jack upside down. :eek:

I won't mention the Team GB Gymnastics kit. ;)

Tally ho and off with all their heads I say. :D

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
8 badminton players have been expelled for trying to lose. Glad to see them given the boot.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olym...yers-charged-with-throwing-matches/56630488/1

Actually, it's technically not against the rules to do what they did. It's a type of strategy. They were trying to get a more favorable matchup in the medal rounds. Plus, it's actually a strategy that is typically used in that sport (and others I'm sure). Those teams weren't doing anything that hasn't been done at other badminton tournaments. They were probably pretty surprised that they were called out on it and kicked out of the games.

It's not much different than when an NBA/MLB/NHL/NFL team sits their best players for games or parts of games near the end of the season after they've already locked up a playoff spot.

BTW, I'm not a badminton expert....I just heard a report on this story earlier this morning on TSN radio.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I have to say... it's frightening how many people, and presumably British ones at that, display the Union Jack upside down.
Did you notice that Kristin Armstrong, an American in the women's road race who won gold in 2008, wore her number 13 jersey upside down? That was presumably to keep #13 from being bad luck, but she crashed and cut her elbow. Must have been that #13!

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Actually, it's technically not against the rules to do what they did. It's a type of strategy. They were trying to get a more favorable matchup in the medal rounds. Plus, it's actually a strategy that is typically used in that sport (and others I'm sure). Those teams weren't doing anything that hasn't been done at other badminton tournaments. They were probably pretty surprised that they were called out on it and kicked out of the games.

It's not much different than when an NBA/MLB/NHL/NFL team sits their best players for games or parts of games near the end of the season after they've already locked up a playoff spot.

BTW, I'm not a badminton expert....I just heard a report on this story earlier this morning on TSN radio.
Actually, it is. The BWF made a mistake by using group stages (without expressly referring to throwing games), and the coaches are probably more at fault for instructing their players to lose, but the players were at fault nonetheless.
The matter was referred to the BWF and the eight players were charged with breaching two parts of the players' code, "not using one's best efforts to win a match and conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

With IOC officials applauding tough action, it came as no surprise when the players were formally disqualified. Both the Indonesian and South Korean players appealed, leading to the highly unusual situation of the draw for the quarter-final being announced just half an hour before the matches were due to start.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/01/badminton-body-apologises-players-disqualified

With the IOC putting pressure on, and the BWF in a difficult situation politically (because they were warned this could happen), the BWF probably had little choice.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Actually, it is. The BWF made a mistake by using group stages (without expressly referring to throwing games), and the coaches are probably more at fault for instructing their players to lose, but the players were at fault nonetheless.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/01/badminton-body-apologises-players-disqualified

With the IOC putting pressure on, and the BWF in a difficult situation politically (because they were warned this could happen), the BWF probably had little choice.

Ah, okay. Clearly the people who were discussing this on the radio programme I was listening to weren't fully aware of all of the facts. It's good that you cleared that up for us.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Our best day so far. Two golds, a silver, and two bronzes :)

Question for everyone. Who do you think is your country's biggest Olympic rival? The one you have to beat in the final medal count?

I reckon we always aim to beat France.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Ah, okay. Clearly the people who were discussing this on the radio programme I was listening to weren't fully aware of all of the facts. It's good that you cleared that up for us.
I think (just my understanding) is the intention to deliberately lose wasn't expressly forbidden in the tournament rules, or alterations made to compensate (like giving opponent selection to group winners). But the code that badminton players follow in any tournament, I think laid down by the BWF, can stretch to cover circumstances like this. The BWF would argue that you don't need to be told not to deliberately lose, in the same way you don't need to be told not to murder - because it's already forbidden. I'm not a betting guy, but what if there was money riding on it?

A lot of sports have rules like this they can use, like the Football Association who often bring out the 'bringing the game into disrepute' card.

MattAtlanta

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Our best day so far. Two golds, a silver, and two bronzes :)

Question for everyone. Who do you think is your country's biggest Olympic rival? The one you have to beat in the final medal count?

I reckon we always aim to beat France.

USA is always trying to beat China...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm very glad that the team from Romania medaled in women's gymnastics. They have such a great tradition in the sport, and I'd hate to see them end their streak -- a team medal in each of the last 10 Olympics -- something no other country has done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.