Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Only two medals thus far and not even Gold in either case. We have been pathetic. USA and China dominating. :eek:
LOL. Most of the events we're good at haven't even got to the medal giving stage yet. There was disappointment about Mark Cavendish, but otherwise I think we're doing rather well. Adlington's bronze in the 400m was a complete bonus for a start.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
France winning the 4X100 relay, was to date the big surprise for me.:)

Plus Spain out of the football, I know it's only the Olympics but still.;)

The fact that the other nations were not prepared to to help Team GB, in the roadcycle race came for me at least as no surprise.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
LOL. Most of the events we're good at haven't even got to the medal giving stage yet. There was disappointment about Mark Cavendish, but otherwise I think we're doing rather well.

My biggest disappointment with the cycling was the awful coverage. I guess we've been spoilt with the recent Tour de France coverage but it was very basic in comparison. Even in the run-in towards the end the time-splits were few and far between and poor old Hugh Porter was out of his depth trying to cope with the excitement of the final kilometres.

He's a lovely bloke and a local cycling hero (I remember him visiting our school to a hero's reception after one of his World Championship wins back in the 70's) but he's past it now and the BBC should have employed the services of Phill Ligget and Paul Sherwen for such a prestigious event.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
My biggest disappointment with the cycling was the awful coverage. I guess we've been spoilt with the recent Tour de France coverage but it was very basic in comparison. Even in the run-in towards the end the time-splits were few and far between and poor old Hugh Porter was out of his depth trying to cope with the excitement of the final kilometres.

He's a lovely bloke and a local cycling hero (I remember him visiting our school to a hero's reception after one of his World Championship wins back in the 70's) but he's past it now and the BBC should have employed the services of Phill Ligget and Paul Sherwen for such a prestigious event.

Apparently it was all the spectators fault for tweeting too much and using up all the mobile data coverage. Clearly they were on the wrong network as I was amazed at the start: no O2 issues at all and good, fast data despite the crowds.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Thoughts on Ye Shiwen breaking records?

Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen smashed world record by a second and her own personal best by five
Last 50m was slightly faster than men's gold medallist Ryan Lochte

That's hard to believe. I don't know much about swimming, but you would think that somebody like Lochte would be faster than a 16 year old girl right?

Still, very impressive.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
What's up with the US media. I have feinds in the US who are saying the coverage is a complete joke. Your media in the US treats you like complete retards, it's amazing how bad it is. Regardless of whether you though it was good or bad, they trashed the opening ceremony in a way that can only be described as offensive (to both the people involved in the show, the athletes and the people watching). Thankfully in the UK we have the BBC and their 24 free dedicated HD olyimpic channels. What's more, they have NO ADVERTS at all, are interactive (multiple camera angles, etc) and most importantly professional and knowledgable hosts (previous pro athletes, including many great US ones). It really is a shame that you can't fully enjoy what your AMAZING athletes are doing properly, team USA is just incredible, my god you guys deserve better!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
What's up with the US media. I have feinds in the US who are saying the coverage is a complete joke. Your media in the US treats you like complete retards, it's amazing how bad it is. Regardless of whether you though it was good or bad, they trashed the opening ceremony in a way that can only be described as offensive (to both the people involved in the show, the athletes and the people watching). Thankfully in the UK we have the BBC and their 24 free dedicated HD olyimpic channels. What's more, they have NO ADVERTS at all, are interactive (multiple camera angles, etc) and most importantly professional and knowledgable hosts (previous pro athletes, including many great US ones). It really is a shame that you can't fully enjoy what your AMAZING athletes are doing properly, team USA is just incredible, my god you guys deserve better!
I'm embarrassed by a lot of the "only Americans matter" coverage here in the U.S. but it must be what sells the most advertising or they wouldn't do it this way.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

I must say that the BBC coverage is world class and the no adverts is a complete bonus. License fee is action :)

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
I still think China's opening ceremony was by far the best one to date. Not saying this one was not good, but not as good as the opening ceremonies in China.

The Beijing ceremony was grand and pompous and I honestly don't think anyone will ever be able to match their scale. They are the world's largest and most industrialized nation. Boyle was wise to take a different approach.

In my mind the Athens 2004 ceremony was more fitting and certainly more inspiring, but comparing that to any other would simply not be fair.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England

Completely agree. I heard how NBC chopped up the opening ceremony and filled it with rude commentary and then had the nerve to cut out the very well done tribute to the London 7/7 bombings... all to show Ryan Seacrest interviewing Phelps. Can you imagine if another country's network had done that to a 9/11 tribute? Absolutely tasteless. Up yours, NBC.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
The equestrian cross country is fantastic viewing. The course designers did such a great job with the obstacles. Greenwich park is vast and beautiful and the intricate camera riggings they set up for it have been well worth it. It makes me all home proud. :)

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
The Beijing ceremony was grand and pompous and I honestly don't think anyone will ever be able to match their scale. They are the world's largest and most industrialized nation. Boyle was wise to take a different approach.

In my mind the Athens 2004 ceremony was more fitting and certainly more inspiring, but comparing that to any other would simply not be fair.

I personally Beijing a bit boring, amazing and at times breath taking, but a bit generic and boring. At least London was never boring for me, i constantly thought jesus this is mad! What the hell are they going to do next?! Crazy and chaotic yes, but in terms of entertainment I liked it. But then I am English so a bit biased and I can understand why other nations found it confusing. LOL at the US bloggers/tweeters thinking Brunel was Lincoln :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

It is all about the $$$ and it pisses me off because there is a lot of stuff I would greatly enjoy watching but NBC chops it up and cuts it out. NBC owns a ton of cable channels they could easily use those to show all the games. Instead we get poor coverage over all.
Hell this crap coverage is part of the reason I just plainly am not watching them at all. It not enjoyable with the poor coverage.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Guy Adams—the journalist banned by Twitter after slamming NBC's Olympics coverage again and again—is back in the game. His Twitter account has been activated again, as this image shows.

Adams, a journalist working for the British newspaper The Independent, was kicked out of Twitter after the latter advised NBC to file a protest against him. Twitter is an NBC partner in the Olympic Games.

NBC filed the protest and Twitter promptly de-activated Adams' account after falsely accusing him of publishing a private email address, something that is prohibited under Twitter's terms of use. Adams didn't publish any public email: he just posted a publicly available email address from one of the NBC executives in charge of the games' broadcast.

Adams tried to follow up with Twitter, explaining that he didn't break Twitter's rules, but nothing happened until now. Twitter's latest move follows a worldwide online outcry against the blue bird company and NBC for kicking a critic out of the social media service.

I'm glad that now Adams can continue his acid coverage of NBC's Olympic Games broadcast.

Updated: Adams says that Twitter wrote to him claiming that his account had been re-instated because NBC "retracted" its complain. You know, the invalid complain about that tweet that never went against Twitter's terms of service but that Twitter used to ban him anyway because they were actually the ones who wanted him banned.
http://gizmodo.com/5930541/nbc+slamming-journalist-guy-adams-is-back-on-twitter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.