Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Is this Nazi Germany?

Happy to have vaccines but needing to provide documentation to go about your daily life is insane (especially given the <1% mortality rate).
Sorry we're stepping on your inalienable right to infect and kill people you may not even know.

If 100% of the population were enthusiastic about getting vaccinated and believed in science, we wouldn't need things like this. Instead, about a third of the population is desperately clinging to superstition and deliberate misinformation, often belligerently, and are ruining things for everyone (and, you know, getting tens of thousands of extra people killed in the process).

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
Lol oh boy, here come the hackneyed and idiotic Nazi references. Mass exterminations are totally the same thing as stopping a global pandemic that has already killed millions and will not stop until it kills tens of millions more.

A lot more happened in nazi germany than the holocaust you know.

The specific example I was referring to was the Kennkarte, essentially an ID card for any males over 18, or anyone that was jewish had to carry with them and present to authorities upon request.

I dont liken the rest of the 30s/40s germany to this post, just that specific element.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Im not being injected with a highly experimental peice of hacked RNA that hijackes my cells and tell it to make a peice of a virus and has a billion ways of going wrong when I get checked for security at a stadium.

Sample size of a couple thousand is not enough to amplify RNA printing error rate...billions of samples its a statistical improbability of a G being switch to an A somewhere in the RNA sequence, and who the **** know what that will produce in the wrong spot.

If anyone even thinks about enforcing this there will be plenty of ways to forge it.
There will be other vaccines approved that don’t use mRNA tech, that’s the one for you.

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
Sorry we're stepping on your inalienable right to infect and kill people you may not even know.

If 100% of the population were enthusiastic about getting vaccinated and believed in science, we wouldn't need things like this. Instead, about a third of the population is desperately clinging to superstition and deliberate misinformation, often belligerently, and are ruining things for everyone (and, you know, getting tens of thousands of extra people killed in the process).
please read the other posts first and you'll see that your first line is incorrect as to my point of view.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
Vaccinations help with herd immunity (which of course has yet to be proved with this particular virus), and herd immunity helps protect people who are immunocompromised or otherwise unable to receive vaccinations. So the jerk may not kill your grandmother, but he may kill an infant who is too young to vaccinate or your wife who is taking chemo.

That said, I'm not planning to be first in line for the vaccine but will consider it after a year or so and a larger population has received it.
Hopefully the "wife who is taking chemo" was fortunate not to have been shut out of all services during the hysteria. Many, many folks have postponed elective procedures and checkups that could have revealed cancers and other illnesses because of the level of public fear. Such cases have been ignored by the big media outlets, sadly.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Point being does he question if this vaccine is safe or do they buy into conspiracy theories about vaccines that include mind control.

I don't mind the people who want to wait and see if there are long term effects of this vaccine given the speed it was developed, but will get it once proved to be safe.
He specifically brought up the rogue RNA so I think he’s concerned about safety.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Again, where has anyone said they want to go around freely infecting people??

As mentioned in another post, Proof of vaccination is not the same as proof of infectious status. It has yet to be determined if the vaccines stop you being a carrier.
If people don’t get vaccinated, they may very well be going around freely infecting other people, even if they don’t intend to. Make sense? And if people do get vaccinated, there won’t be anything to carry.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Did you miss the part that explains the data will be stored on "HIPAA-compliant servers"? Health information is strongly protected under federal law, but obviously that data must be transmitted to and stored by 3rd parties to facilitate care. As long as the patient consents—which is clearly required here—there is no HIPAA violation.
Did you miss the part suggesting one must surrender said strongly protected information to fly or attend a concert?

What good is strong privacy protection if one must give it up to go do normal things in life?

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
A lot more happened in nazi germany than the holocaust you know.

The specific example I was referring to was the Kennkarte, essentially an ID card for any males over 18, or anyone that was jewish had to carry with them and present to authorities upon request.

I dont liken the rest of the 30s/40s germany to this post, just that specific element.

Still not sure how the 2 are in any way related. The Kennkarte was essentially a state-issued ID. We all carry those around with us every day and are required to "present to authorities upon request." The "card" detailed in this article is mostly for reminding people to get their second shot, with the potential of being used to ensure that those in public places aren't a health risk to everyone else.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
I'll give you the wife on chemo as a good edge case, but the infant is a stretch as A) covid mortality is extremely rare in children and B) new moms are tyrannical about protecting new babies from germs (even in the before covid times).

But with immunocompromised edge cases, the question becomes whose responsibility is it to keep someone like that safe? Is it the individual or all of society's responsibility? And to what level? To the point that we enforcing vaccination record checks to go to a concert or travel or shop at the grocery store? We can't eliminate risk in life. As tempting as the illusion of control is to many.
The fear mongering done by the media was necessary in order to shove the vaccine down everyone’s throat and scare them into it. Basic psyop stuff.

Some live in such an entitlement bubble that they think the government control and protection is far more important than some “stupid freedoms”. There’s a famous quote for that but you’ve heard it a million times.

It’s amazing how people can convince you that something is for your own good until it really, really isn’t.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Did you miss the part suggesting one must surrender said strongly protected information to fly or attend a concert?

What good is strong privacy protection if one must give it up to go do normal things in life?

I didn't miss it, the article just doesn't say that. It says that a reporter "speculates that it could be used as proof of vaccination to access flights, concerts, and more." And even if that were to happen, it still wouldn't violate HIPAA. Vaccinations are routinely required to attend school, for example, and that is clearly not a violation.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Is this Nazi Germany (mandatory ID cards - not anything else ! ) ?

Happy to have vaccines but needing to provide documentation to go about your daily life is insane (especially given the <1% mortality rate).
Chances of you getting hit by a drunk driver must be close to less than 1 percent yet a lot of places have du8 road blocks where you have to provide documentation.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Lol oh boy, here come the hackneyed and idiotic Nazi references. Mass exterminations are totally the same thing as stopping a global pandemic that has already killed millions and will not stop until it kills tens of millions more.
I completely agree that hyperbole is not helpful. I'd really like to see the Hitler, Stalin, etc. references when used to describe our president in mainstream media to stop as well.

That out of the way, I think it is fair to question the steps that are being taken that certainly erode freedom and liberty. I am not against getting the vaccine personally. But don't tell me that I MUST inject myself with it, then at the same time tell me that I MUST continue to stay at home and mask up after getting it. Follow the science and all...

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Hopefully the "wife who is taking chemo" was fortunate not to have been shut out of all services during the hysteria. Many, many folks have postponed elective procedures and checkups that could have revealed cancers and other illnesses because of the level of public fear. Such cases have been ignored by the big media outlets, sadly.
It’s true too. I have a client that is an anesthesiologist who’s seen far too many cases go unresolved “due to covid”. What about those deaths? How about mental illness? How about the phony covid death reports that had nothing to do with covid but were for the financial benefit of the hospital?

The mismanagement and fraud goes far beyond what anyone even realizes but nobody seems to care.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
I didn't miss it, the article just doesn't say that. It says that a reporter "speculates that it could be used as proof of vaccination to access flights, concerts, and more." And even if that were to happen, it still wouldn't violate HIPAA. Vaccinations are routinely required to attend school, for example, and that is clearly not a violation.
There is an entire thread for speculating on iOS beta software on these forums. Inviting speculation is nothing new here.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
This doesn't violate HIPAA though.
It does violate HIPPA.

I was a medical provider for nearly 9 years, up through last year. It is a breach of medical privacy to require proof of vaccination to attend concerts, go to the store, work etc.

It is however NOT a breach of privacy for a company to provide access to records on a digital device such as an iPhone nor is it a breach when an individual VOLUNTARILY discloses this info.

My perspective: This is the worst slippery slope we've seen since WW2. We are about to see society split into two classes of people; those that have vaccinated and those that have not. With privilege and opportunity extended to one and not the other. This is a wild and horrible thing to see happen. I'm not anti medicine, anti science or even anti vaccine. But I'll absolutely not be allowing my body or my family to be part of an international "phase III" trial of a vaccine system that has NEVER been allowed to be injected in humans until this year. 5-7+ years is the normal vaccine testing window. There are reasons mRNA therapeutics have never made it beyond animal testing. Look it up. This is not normal.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Im not being injected with a highly experimental peice of hacked RNA that hijackes my cells and tell it to make a peice of a virus and has a billion ways of going wrong when I get checked for security at a stadium.

Sample size of a couple thousand is not enough to amplify RNA printing error rate...billions of samples its a statistical improbability of a G being switch to an A somewhere in the RNA sequence, and who the **** know what that will produce in the wrong spot.

If anyone even thinks about enforcing this there will be plenty of ways to forge it.

It's not "highly experimental." In fact, it's not "experimental" at all. And the cellular mechanism you seem to take such issue with is exactly what every single virus does. So it's OK when a pathogenic virus does it, but not OK when a vaccine does?

Also the Pfizer and Moderna trials included nearly 100,000 participants between them, not "a couple thousand." Now that literally millions will be getting vaccinated, the sample size will grow far beyond what is reasonable to question.\

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
It does violate HIPPA.

I was a medical provider for nearly 9 years, up through last year. It is a breach of medical privacy to require proof of vaccination to attend concerts, go to the store, work etc.

It is however NOT a breach of privacy for a company to provide access to records on a digital device such as an iPhone nor is it a breach when an individual VOLUNTARILY discloses this info.

My perspective: This is the worst slippery slope we've seen since WW2. We are about to see society split into two classes of people; those that have vaccinated and those that have not. With privilege and opportunity extended to one and not the other. This is a wild and horrible thing to see happen. I'm not anti medicine, anti science or even anti vaccine. But I'll absolutely not be allowing my body or my family to be part of an international "phase III" trial of a vaccine system that has NEVER been allowed to be injected in humans until this year. 5-7+ years is the normal vaccine testing window. There are reasons mRNA therapeutics have never made it beyond animal testing. Look it up. This is not normal.

Medical provider ≠ legal expert. Your first statement is completely wrong—requiring proof of vaccination has nothing to do with HIPAA. The law includes mechanisms to expedite the release of immunization info to schools, but says nothing about the legality of vaccine requirements.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
It's be great it they used POAP (Proof of Attendance Protocol) for the vaccine verification proof. It's an ERC-20 token on the Ethereum blockchain with bulletproof encryption behind it. It would nice to see Apple get behind it, as well. And no, I have no connection to it, other than believing it has many benefits, some yet to be imagined. https://www.poap.xyz/#start

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
How about you give them a full history of every STD or disease you contracted, you know, for public health reasons. That embarrassing rash/infection/etc in that private area? They need to know about that too. For the public’s good. But you wouldn’t have a problem with that would you?

See where this could go? Give them an inch and they take a mile.
Last I checked I could infect an entire room of people with COVID-19 just by breathing, but I’d have to have quite the Friday night to accomplish that with an STD.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Bowing down to your government lol.

Have you ever read the criminal codes in your city/state/country? There are thousands of things that you are already “Bowing down” to ?

The government trying to stop a pandemic is more important than you being frightened of it. It’s called public health for a reason.
They already do it, so let's surrender more. Strange argument.

"...being frightened of it..." That's also an interesting choice of words given the extremely low danger that this virus poses to the vast majority of the population. We have data and information that we didn't have 6-7 months ago. If we had more real conversations about this and how to handle it rationally, I think we could have a more targeted plan of attack. Instead it's destroy anyone who dares to question (while presenting facts) the "authorities".

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
I completely agree that hyperbole is not helpful. I'd really like to see the Hitler, Stalin, etc. references when used to describe our president in mainstream media to stop as well.

That out of the way, I think it is fair to question the steps that are being taken that certainly erode freedom and liberty. I am not against getting the vaccine personally. But don't tell me that I MUST inject myself with it, then at the same time tell me that I MUST continue to stay at home and mask up after getting it. Follow the science and all...

Nobody is saying you MUST get the vaccine. But if the government did mandate vaccinations, it would be well within the Constitution and state law to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.