Love my watch, keeping it, no guilt - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by greytmom, May 6, 2015.

1. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Awful lot of threads from people who feel the watch isn't what they expected it to be, or cost too much and they feel guilty, and so on and so on. Their right to feel that way, of course, and no judgment here.

But are there people out there like me? People who planned for it from the moment it was announced, read up on it to know exactly what to expect, knew what benefits it would add to their lives, and don't have guilt about spending their own money, which was earmarked for the purpose months ago?

Just curious. By the way, mine is a 38mm stainless with Milanese loop, and I've got a green sport band on the way eventually. And will probably get a black one too. Waiting on leather to see if any third party vendors will come up with a nice red!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Me, too. I have the 38mm Stainless Steel with Classic Band, and I have link and Milanese Loop bands on the way.

3. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

4. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

You're only gonna feel guilt if its not for you and you're just keeping it for the sake of having an apple watch :)

5. RogerEast macrumors regular

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm content. Just waiting on my sport band and for Apple to release a few updates to WatchOS.

7. DJTJ macrumors regular

i love my watch. It does what I want it to do
    - Tell the time
    - Give me notifications

anything else is a bonus!

8. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

42SSBSB + LBLL
    Absolutely love it. Wish third party apps loaded faster but I hardly use them. Its core features are awesome for me.

My wife's not into tech, but she loves her watch.

9. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

I rarely feel guilt. To me it is a wasted emotion. But, if I did have it and didn't want it, I'd likely give it to daughter or sell it - not the type to keep stuff just to say I have it!

10. Don909 macrumors newbie

I have the 38mm SG Sport. No return for me.

It just reminded me I need to stand - how cool.

Don

11. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

I read in one review that it nags like an Italian grandmother. LOL

12. cwieberdink macrumors member

No regret. I just got mine yesterday but I love it already. LOVE IT. I have planned for it since it was announced and saved all my Christmas and birthday money for it. I sold my old iPhone to pay for the nicer SS watch and band that I wanted. Haters gonna hate. [​IMG]

13. hemon macrumors regular

you say it! :)

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I love mine! I noticed, whenever gender could be determined, that a lot, if not most of those making returns have been male. The female forum members I've grown familiar with seem delighted. And a lot of male members report happy wives and girlfriends enjoying their new Apple watches.

I wonder if it's because the watch has freed so many of us women from that dive into the depths of our purses and handbags or the frantic search around the house for the beeping IPhone. Prior to the 6 Plus I did used to wear my cell phone somewhere on me--small belt clip or in my pocket.

The 6Plus is a powerful versatile smart phone but it's a behemoth to carry unless I'm wearing my large pocketed LL Bean jeans that, yes, do make my butt look large. :rolleyes: So, as much as my inner tomboy is resistant to the idea, my IPhone ends up sitting on tables or shelves or buried in my handbag.

Then Apple Watch came along and freed me! Today I was reaching for items in my cupboard. IPhone was upstairs on my nightstand. We disconnected the land line ages ago when telemarketers became the exclusive callers to that number. So if not for the watch suddenly coming to life and tapping me quietly but insistently on the wrist, I would have missed taking a call from my dad about scheduling his next urgent doctors appointment. Both my mom and my dad have been battling cancer. I can't afford to miss a call from them, or from school, or my elderly in-laws.

It is such a relief to be free from having to somehow keep my beast of a phone always on me. Even the iPhone 5s was too tall to sit comfortably in my pockets. And as a woman I do like to wear sundresses and skirts in the summer. I don't always want to have pockets!

Notifications and smart features aside, it's cute and fun and a really cool watch!

I also have a calculator app on it for when I'm too tired to do math in my head.

15. slicecom macrumors 68020

I have no regrets. It's met or exceeded my expectations in all aspects.

16. Sophrosyne macrumors member

Love mine. 42mm GSB. Some things that I've been using it for:

-iMessaging
    -Receiving calls
    -Fitness tracking
    -Calendar reminders
    -Apple Pay
    -Timer
    -Notifications (text, gmail, bankcard use)
    -Watch

17. avalys macrumors 6502

I like it, it works great and I'm definitely keeping it. I have grown to like it more the longer I have it. Now that the iPhone is such an integral part of my life, having what amounts to a remote terminal for the iPhone on my wrist is a major convenience. Of course, the Watch does much more than that, but it is worth it to me for that reason alone.

The only real flaw is the very limited and slow API for third-party apps, but hopefully Apple will fix that in a few short weeks at WWDC.

18. rbgatti macrumors member

rbgatti

19. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

No guilt, mostly love when it works

When raise to active is acting stupid or Siri can't understand me it's frustrating and sometimes I grab the phone because the flow is habit. (and I know it works)

Def. keeping it, maybe even upgrading when supply is readily available, I know this thing can be awesome and I'm anxious for all the little things to get ironed out so it is.

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Loving mine. I have a lot of rage toward the people that say a) it nags you constantly and b) it's annoying to charge every night.

It only nags you if you have too many notifications going to the watch. The point is to look at the important ones. And charging it takes absolutely no effort other than taking it off and setting it down. It's not like you even have to plug anything in.

21. CASEACE79 macrumors member

Love my watch, keeping it, no guilt - anyone else?

I think where people are getting confused is that they are looking at what it can do and right now honestly it isn't much when you compare it to an iPhone. But these people are looking at it wrong. It's not what the watch can do that makes it remarkable, it's what it enables you to not have to do that does.

22. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I'm not really sure what some people were expecting. The initial reviews were good in that they tempered my expectations a bit with regard to the apps, but generally speaking it does what I thought it would.

23. djpraize macrumors member

Exactly. I miss calls half the time because either I have muted my phone for work, or I hear it clearly but can't wade through all of the items in my bag in time to answer the call. I wear a watch daily, I would feel naked without one, so this watch is perfect for me. I am tempted to buy one for my son who also has an iPhone, but wisdom tells me to wait til Gen 2 or 3, and hand this one down to him.

No guilt here. I paid for this myself with cash and the bills are all paid!

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That is an interesting point. And I've also seen a number of reviews, mostly from male reviewers, that were some variation of "the watch is pointless, I always have my iPhone with me." Whenever I see that "I always have my iPhone with me," statement, I feel like screaming, "No, not everyone does! It's a pain to fish it out of my purse! Or it's sitting on my desk, not on me!"

Now, my partner, I know for a fact he tends to leave his iPhone at his desk when he's at the office. But he doesn't care much when he misses calls/notifications (I'm the one who wishes he'd wear the watch so I can reach him more reliably, lol). He's not interested in activity tracking, and he wants to interact with the watch mainly through Siri, which doesn't do enough yet for him -- he keeps getting handoffs to iPhone, which he finds frustrating. So looks like he won't be keeping the watch. :(

My mom, however, just got told by her doctor she needs to excerise more, so she's looking for a fitness tracker, and I think the watch will be perfect for her. And I'm also finding the Activity app to be a good motivator. I had fitness apps on the iPhone before, but I think most of them are going to get replaced by the watch/Activity app.

One function I didn't think about before buying the watch but now am finding unexpectedly convenient is the timer. Having a timer on my wrist that I can just set whenever I need one is so super convenient. Before, I'd start the laundry or put the pot on the fire then realize my phone is upstairs/in another room, and by the time I find the phone, I wouldn't know how many minutes I need to set the timer for. Now the timer is always on my wrist. :)

So, no, no guilt whatever about getting the watch! I did go for the Sports version, though, both because I liked the look, and felt the price was right.

25. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Not a bit of guilt here. 38mm SG Sport with BSB and a green band on order.

I love it. Haven't used any third party apps on it yet. Just the core features. Most used:
    -Notifications
    -dictation replies to texts
    -checking new emails (wish i knew how to easily mark emails as read from notifications area)
    -checking time
    -working out