Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The two higher-end "iPhone 13 Pro" models that are coming in 2021 are expected to use LTPO display technology to enable 120Hz refresh rates, according to display analyst Ross Young.

iphone-12-120hz-thumbnail-feature.jpg

Young reaffirmed the detail in a tweet that said he'd heard rumors about only one model featuring LTPO, which he says is inaccurate.

LTPO OLED displays feature a more power efficient backplane able to turn the individual pixels on and off on the display, better preserving battery life. Young has previously said that LTPO technology is linked to 120Hz refresh rates and will need to be implemented before ProMotion can be brought to the iPhone, otherwise the 120Hz refresh rate would drain too much battery life.

At this point, multiple rumors have confirmed both LTPO technology and 120Hz refresh rates for the two Pro-level iPhone 13 models. 120Hz ProMotion displays were rumored for the iPhone 12 models as well, but Apple did not implement them and instead saved the feature for the iPhone 13 lineup.

Samsung will supply most of the LTPO OLED displays to Apple, with Apple also potentially sourcing displays from BOE and LG Display.

Apple has long offered 120Hz refresh rates in the iPad Pro lineup. As on the iPad, the higher refresh rate on the iPhone will make motion content on the screen smoother, crisper, and more responsive for tasks like reading, gaming, and more.

Article Link: LTPO Displays Supporting 120Hz Refresh Rates Again Rumored for iPhone 13 Pro Models

Reactions: DeepIn2U

mashdots

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2015
seattle-ish
I think the refresh rate updates are what'll sell me on the new phone this year. LPTO is cool but that pro motion is gonna be really interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: qoop

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
:rolleyes: The 120 Hz display is the most significant update iPad has gotten since Retina. It makes an unbelievable difference to every single user who looks at the display.
That’s odd because I’ve see many of posts from people with an iPad stating they can’t see a difference. Now I’m sure there is a difference, but calling it the most significant is a bit of an overstatement.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
ProMotion is not about 120hz refresh rate but about variable refresh rate, that’s what was revolutionary about it when it was introduced, so the display can clock down to 24hz or 30hz for video consumption or 10hz for static content.

The times the screen goes all the way up to 120hz is just here and there. So when you scroll text, it can go up and then when you stop to read or to reply a message it goes back down. This allowed Apple to introduce the technology while saving power.

This is also what set it apart from those infamous half-backed Android implementation where the user had to “choose” (sacrifice) between screen resolution, refresh rate or battery life.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Still won’t move the needle for me to upgrade from my X, 2023 is my year and I’m sticking to it!

MacRS4

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
London, UK
Can someone please educate me on what the big deal is about this?
I don't seem to have any issue with scrolling on my current iphone 12 Max Pro or my 2018 iPad Pro.

And nor do I. Nor does anybody. Nobody had issues doing those things pre-retina displays either. Fancy going back to that?

It's one of those soft subjective things that's actually pretty hard to quantify. My personal phone has a 120Hz adaptive display and I really notice the lack of it when I go back to my work iPhone. Does it 'break' the experience? Does it make it a crap phone? Of course not.

It just doesn't look as good - that's it. It looks a bit better on the 120hz, and it's just nicer to use. As to how much? Well, that's the subjective bit. It's enough a difference for me to have two phones. Your mileage may vary of course.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Can someone please educate me on what the big deal is about this?
I don't seem to have any issue with scrolling on my current iphone 12 Max Pro or my 2018 iPad Pro.
You see that text blur when you scroll? Faster refresh means it’s less of a blur and gives a ‘smoother’ feeling when the screen moves. You typically go from ‘it’s as smooth as a hippos backside’ to ‘it’s as smooth as a giraffes backside’.

The point is, unless you really look for it, you won’t notice too much difference in the screen.

Disclaimer - I’ve not looked at a giraffes backside, but too be honest, I have looked at a hippos.

abowlby

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Eastern US
For those asking, high refresh rates are more easily appreciated when they are gone. You notice their absence more than their presence. That alone is characteristically very much like an "Apple feature."

For those acting like it's a gimmick, come back and +1 this comment after you use one for awhile. Saying higher refresh rates are a gimmick is the same as saying higher resolution or "retina" displays are a gimmick. They objectively are not.

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
You must have really struggled with every single iPhone then and every phone before 2018, that must be really annoying for you.
I wouldn’t say “struggled” but the tech we’re using today is far from perfect. Think about what we used to have 15 years ago and try to imagine yourself not having anything newer than that today. I’m sure you would struggle using old tech like that.

To me and probably others here, today’s technology is still annoying, primitive and need many improvements. 120Hz, bezel-less, notch-less displays, power, efficiency, battery life, cameras, and other things will happen in the future These are all things that can be improved in phones and in the end people will look back to how useless our devices were in 2021 and think how we ever lived without all the futuristic things that they have.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
I wouldn’t say “struggled” but the tech we’re using today is far from perfect. Think about what we used to have 15 years ago and try to imagine yourself not having anything newer than that today. I’m sure you would struggle using old tech like that.

To me and probably others here, today’s technology is still annoying, primitive and need many improvements. 120Hz, bezel-less, notch-less displays, power, efficiency, battery life, cameras, and other things will happen in the future These are all things that can be improved in phones and in the end people will look back to how useless our devices were in 2021 and think how we ever lived without all the futuristic things that they have.
Sure, but let’s take a ProMotion iPad vs a non-Promotion iPad, to say the non-promotion iPad is ‘painful’ is a bit odd. It’s not like you are going from liquid to solid, you are going from granulated sugar to slightly less granulated sugar. Sure, one is ‘smoother’ but unless you really look and use one for a few years, the difference isn’t visible and one isn’t significantly better than the other, it’s just an improvement that some may or may not notice.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
You could view this from the Hubble telescope and still not see how little I care about LTPO or 120hz screens on my phone. Bump the camera spec on the Pro to what they’re artificially limited to the Max, add USB-C and Touch ID and I’ll be there the second preorders open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.