Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Do you have a GitHub for the changes, and a list of what needs to be compiled for security update backports?
Not really no. At the time i made these i had updated some of the "net" based software and i linked to the 2021 certificates dpkg. You are free to install all the dev tools and rebuild whatever you'd like on your personal machine though if you want it more up to date. Everything i updated on 12.04 was compiled on 12.04.

Cheers

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
@wicknix Howdy!

Can you please tell me how i can fix your Lubuntu 12.04 on PowerBook G4 Ti error on update manager?
4bb6ffbc7b185dd5acf565b572deee87.jpg

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
See this post. You'll need to update your apt sources since they archived 12.04's repo.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Open your favorite editor as root user and change all the entries found in the above post.
Example: sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list
Change the urls with the updated ones and save the file. Then just run: sudo apt-get update

There wont be any more updates to 12.04 by me. It's updated enough to still be more secure than 10.4/10.5. If you want current updated software i'd suggest using the latest debian 11, void linux, adelie, openbsd, etc that still gets updates regularly, or install the development packages and compile new versions of whatever software you want.

Cheers

Reactions: ExclusiveMac

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Hello,
I was trying to install Lubuntu 16.04 remix v4 on my iBook G4. I got almost to the point of starting the installation when it told me I had to unmount /cdrom before continuing, and then the installer became unresponsive. I was wondering if there is a way to prevent this message from appearing?
Thank you.

Reactions: lepidotós

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Hello,
I was trying to install Lubuntu 16.04 remix v4 on my iBook G4. I got almost to the point of starting the installation when it told me I had to unmount /cdrom before continuing, and then the installer became unresponsive. I was wondering if there is a way to prevent this message from appearing?
Thank you.
I just tried running sudo umount -l -r -f /cdrom and then installed it alongside Tiger. It said the installation completed successfully but Lubuntu doesn't show up in the startup boot menu. What am I missing?
Thanks.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I've never seen the eject cdrom message before, or even found that on the ubuntu powerpc linux wiki in the trouble shooting section. It probably never installed. I don't even know how it even managed to start installing. It physically can't if the cd/dvd is ejected. It needs to copy files from the cd/dvd during install. You have some weirdness going on there that i can't explain.

Reactions: tensixturtle

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Possibly. I've never needed to install via usb. The one time i tried a usb install it wound up installing to the usb drive instead of the hard drive. Which might be what happened in your case as well. All my systems have been installed via cd/dvd. Maybe someone who has successfully installed via usb will chime in.

Cheers

Reactions: tensixturtle

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Just a thought, do you burn your discs on PowerPC Macs? I had been burning mine on an Intel but now I wonder if that causes the problem of not being able to boot from discs.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I've burned on both ppc and intel. I have noticed though that not all brands of cdr/dvdr's play well with older drives. 90% of the time i've had the best luck burning at the slowest speed possible on an external drive.

Cheers

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
@wicknix thank you for the suggestion. I tried this on my iMac G5 and for the first time ever I was able to boot from the live disc (Lubuntu remix 16.04 v2)! However, I cannot seem to install still. When booting with "live" I open the installer and it freezes. The screen keeps blinking on and off and nothing is responsive. When booting with the parameters for Radeon graphics cards, I just get a completely blank screen, no live environment. Do you think you have any more thoughts, please? I really appreciate your help, thank you.

shakary

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2020
I confirm the speed and fluidity of the lubuntu 12.04 remix operation on ibook g4 (so again thanks to wicknix) but unfortunately it doesn't update me anymore. There are repositories to use. If they exist, can I also use them on debian 7? Thanks to anyone who can give me advice.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@shakary : check out this post. Ubuntu moved the 12.04 repository location. You'll need to update your apt sources.list in order to be able to install extra software. Due note though that the last official updates for 12.04 from ubuntu ended in 2017. In order to get more up to date software you'll have to compile stuff yourself, like i did for some software included in 12.04 remix.

Cheers

Reactions: lepidotós

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Thank you, that seemed to help most of the time. However, because I am installing using a MacBook and Target Disk Mode, the only drive it lets me install on is the internal in the MacBook. The iBook's internal hard drive shows up in Gparted but not the installer. Would this problem be solved by using an external FireWire optical drive? Unfortunately the internal optical drive is not an option. Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

jhugg

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
Sorry if it's somewhere obvious, I swear I looked, but what's the su password for the cd live session the Original 12.04 remix-v1 for machines without a dvdrom drive (about 670mb) boots to?

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Thank you for the tips and advice. I tried with an external FW optical drive and it installed. (yay!) Now, I am wondering about performance. I know I should expect things to fly on an iBook G4, but almost everything, even things like scrolling through the list of apps before I open one will cause it to completely freeze. It goes into a loop of a black screen and the frozen screen and nothing responds, and the only solution is a hard shutdown. Do you think you might have some suggestions to boost performance please? Thank you.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Now that its installed you will still want to use a boot parameter.
At the boot prompt type: Linux radeon.agpmode=-1 (note the capital L)
See if that helps. If it does its possible to make that stick between reboots so you dont have to type it every boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.