Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gogoggoo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
My M1 mini was YPbPr on my U2520D for the last 3 days, and today I used HDMI cable to test if it looks better - it didn't. I unplugged it and replugged USB-C cable and now it shows RGB :oops: I don't know how it happened but it works perfectly..

I restarted several times both mini and display - so I'm assuming there might be a connection there. At least in my case. Because I haven't done anything else.

I'm considering the U2520D, is it working on RGB now? Also, what HDR setting did you use on the Dell OSD/MacOS display settings, and how is the sharpness of text like? Thank you.

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2020
Does it still allow native 2560x1440 resolution and how does fonts look like then compared to Windows running in the same mode?
I used an AOC 2560x1440 monitor several years ago in its native resolution. Font was crisp, though a bit small for my eyes because the monitor was 25 inch. 27 inch Lenovo with native 2560x1440 was near perfect in fonts quality, fonts size ok then.

Reactions: gogoggoo

airbatross

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU
I'm considering the U2520D, is it working on RGB now? Also, what HDR setting did you use on the Dell OSD/MacOS display settings, and how is the sharpness of text like? Thank you.

Yep.. Ever since that day it worked fine.
A couple of days ago I ticked the HDR box on settings and it switched back to Ybbpr.. When i changed the Smart HDR selection on display's settings to Desktop, it switched back to RGB. No issues or whatever, images/text are perfect. Just like my previous Intel Macbook.

Dell has a list of Ultrasharp displays compatible with Macs;
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-au/000131273/using-a-dell-ultrasharp-usb-c-monitor-with-a-mac

Reactions: gogoggoo

gogoggoo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
A couple of days ago I ticked the HDR box on settings and it switched back to Ybbpr.. When i changed the Smart HDR selection on display's settings to Desktop, it switched back to RGB. No issues or whatever, images/text are perfect. Just like my previous Intel Macbook.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-au/000131273/using-a-dell-ultrasharp-usb-c-monitor-with-a-mac
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Will check it out and decide between 25" qhd or 27" 4k.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I used an AOC 2560x1440 monitor several years ago in its native resolution. Font was crisp, though a bit small for my eyes because the monitor was 25 inch. 27 inch Lenovo with native 2560x1440 was near perfect in fonts quality, fonts size ok then.
OK. Is this still the same in M1 Big Sur font being crisp with 2560x1440 monitor running in native resolution?

Dell is not listing older models like U2518D which is not USB-C yet, but it has DP 1.2 ports and HDMI 2.0. But for some reason many seem to complain no getting RGB. Isn't M1 Mac Mini also support outputting native DP from USB-C, so that basically USB-C to DP cable should work?

Gops123

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2021
Hi Guys.. I recently bought a M1 Mini and connected it to Dell P2419HC (1920 x 1080) via a HDMI cable. But the display was really blurred. Text were applying not at all sharp and after some usage, I started developing headache (may be due to the bad display) However this monitor was working perfectly fine with my PC setup. So what am I missing here? I could see many people telling about this blurry text issues with external displays in a M1 mini.

And also, I tried connecting the Mini (TB port) to the monitor (USB C) via dell supplied USB C cable. But I don't think that made much difference in the display. On the top of that, if I'm using USB C, the monitor won't turn on automatically if I reboot my mini. I need to either reseat the cable on mini side or switch off and ON the monitor to make it working.

Any idea how to fix this. Or any help to get a better picture quality.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Could not confirm. I replaced my monitors with dell p2415q
Ok. I may have to take a risk and try it myself. I will likely get M1 mini in next few days. Anyway my U2518D is fine with Windows running at native 2560x1440 resolution without font zooming. Fonts are ”smallish” but fine for me.

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020
Latest 11.3.1 update fixes RGB for me on Dell U3219Q. Seems stable when switching bet connected devices. M1 Mac mini.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Latest 11.3.1 update fixes RGB for me on Dell U3219Q. Seems stable when switching bet connected devices. M1 Mac mini.
I also got my U2518D working in RGB mode but it did not seem like it was just 11.3.1 update that did the trick. There is still certain case when it revert to YPbPr but also way to get it back again easily. Here is my "Saga" with my new M1 Mini I got yesterday. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...st.2282729/page-6?post=29852796#post-29852796

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2020
Did anybody notice what was color format during macOS update process? During phase 1 mine (Dell P2415Q) was RGB.
Then switched back to YPbPr.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Did anybody notice what was color format during macOS update process? During phase 1 mine (Dell P2415Q) was RGB.
Then switched back to YPbPr.
Just try restart, I'm pretty sure it might work for you too if you got yours showing RGB at some point already.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
No luck, tried several times. The only case was during update, just before first restart.
Interesting. Maybe in my case that HDMI cable testing had something to do this too then. Since that I have even tried another USB-C port and unplugged cables several times and still after reboot RGB goes on, sometimes seem even right away from power up but only rarely then.

Anyway would be interesting to know how exactly Big Sur fonts are supposed to look in 2560x1440 monitor running at native resolution. Mine are definitely quite different from what they look in Windows sharpness wise. I guess MacOS fonts are more or less optimized for Retina resolutions and not native res. like in Windows world???

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Anyway would be interesting to know how exactly Big Sur fonts are supposed to look in 2560x1440 monitor running at native resolution. Mine are definitely quite different from what they look in Windows sharpness wise. I guess MacOS fonts are more or less optimized for Retina resolutions and not native res. like in Windows world???
Correct. Apple's font smoothing is not as nice as Windows, in my opinion, at non-HiDPI resolutions. Apple's is better when dealing with HiDPI (4K and above) displays.

You can, however, change the settings MacOS uses. Apple removed the options from the user-accessible control panel on Big Sur, but you can use either TinkerTool (my suggestion) or terminal commands to alter the settings. It improves non-HiDPI font rendering significantly, IMHO.

Use TinkerTool and set font smoothing to "light". You might also try setting to "enforce old-style font smoothing" too. TinkerTool makes it easy to return to standard settings safely.

airbatross

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU
Interesting. Maybe in my case that HDMI cable testing had something to do this too then. Since that I have even tried another USB-C port and unplugged cables several times and still after reboot RGB goes on, sometimes seem even right away from power up but only rarely then.

When I use HDMI with my M1 mini and U2520D at native 1440p, even though it's RGB, text looks horrible. It recognizes the screen as monitor and even though I choose native resolution, it's horrible.

When I use USB-C, it's perfect, RGB and just like my previous Intel macs. I guess it recognizes as TV and doesn't play around with resolution or sharpness..

Gops123

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2021
Hi Guys.. My M1 Mini is connected it to Dell P2419HC (1920 x 1080) via USB-C to Display port cable. If I'm using this setup, my monitor detects RGB format and I could see font displaying is somewhat better. However, if I use HDMI to HDMI cable, then its "YPbPr" and display is horrible. Also, if I'm using apple thunderbolt to thunderbolt cable, its in RGB format however the monitor won't turn on automatically when I switch on Mini. I need to either reseat the thunderbolt cable or switch off and ON the monitor.

I updated to Big sur 11.3.1 but no change in the above conditions.

Anyone managed to get proper display on a Mac M1 mini? Or do I need to upgrade to a 4K monitor. If so, can any one recommend me a good 4K monitor. Dell or LG?

Thanks.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
When I use HDMI with my M1 mini and U2520D at native 1440p, even though it's RGB, text looks horrible. It recognizes the screen as monitor and even though I choose native resolution, it's horrible.

When I use USB-C, it's perfect, RGB and just like my previous Intel macs. I guess it recognizes as TV and doesn't play around with resolution or sharpness..
But Shouldn't it be other way around, so that when it sees it as monitor, picture would be sharpest and without overscan...? Anyway, where do you see which type (TV or monitor) operating system sees it? I haven't noticed mine saying anything about that.

Reactions: ludmiloff

airbatross

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU
But Shouldn't it be other way around, so that when it sees it as monitor, picture would be sharpest and without overscan...? Anyway, where do you see which type (TV or monitor) operating system sees it? I haven't noticed mine saying anything about that.

This is what I see right now, with USB-C:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 11.03.16 pm.png

Which is true resolution (1440p)
If I chose a preset Scaled res, it's still good..

And this is what i see if it's HDMI:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 11.02.31 pm.png

It shows wrong resolution, and completely messes up texts and images..

?‍♂️

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
This is what I see right now, with USB-C:

View attachment 1770089

Which is true resolution (1440p)
If I chose a preset Scaled res, it's still good..

And this is what i see if it's HDMI:

View attachment 1770090

It shows wrong resolution, and completely messes up texts and images..

🤷‍♂️
From what I can see it looks to me that above is right and it sees monitor real native resolution (1440p) where HDMI thinks it is 4K monitor. Anyway bottom one offers you scaled Retina resolutions - upscale to downscale, which makes it look different more like in Apple monitor. Not sure where you see USB-C thinks it is a TV?

Have you tested terminal command to adjust font smoothing? I got my fonts much sharper setting it to 0 but it is still nothing like what it is in Windows, but that is I guess normal for MacOS.

airbatross

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU
Sorry, my bad naming it as TV; what I meant was it gets the resolution as is and doesn't let me play around like the below one, which as you stated recognized as an Apple monitor. In anyways, I'm happy with my USB-C connection as it's perfect like my previous Macs, I never touched font smoothing stuff..

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Sorry, my bad naming it as TV; what I meant was it gets the resolution as is and doesn't let me play around like the below one, which as you stated recognized as an Apple monitor. In anyways, I'm happy with my USB-C connection as it's perfect like my previous Macs, I never touched font smoothing stuff..
OK, yeah I agree USB-C seem to show as it should be. Mine shows that too when using USB-C to DP generic cable to my Dell U2518D. I'm also experimenting again with font smoothing settings. I seems kinda wonky as some text obviously appear rather blocky with 0, so now trying again 1 and 2, currently at 1. Anyway, just powered up my MBA M1 side by side with this and it running highest Retina res (1680x1050) it is just so sharp but still not blocky looking font. To be honest, my U2518D running at 2560x1440 looks like garbage next to MBA but depending on what is on the screen, like Safari displaying this forum looks nice in my Mini but then again some other like TextEdit font looks terrible in Mini while it is nice and sharp in MBA.

Is there any way in M1 Mini getting it in HiDPI mode so that it scales to 5120x2880 and then downscale to 2560x1440? I guess that could give somewhat better results.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Total nightmare this! Love my M1 in every other way but the image quality is just garbage on my screen compared to Windows.
Yeah, I agree. Just when I got accustomed this horrible font look a bit, I happened to power on my MBA M1 and saw how good it should be. Also when ever using my Windows on same monitor 2560x1440 is so sharp and good looking.

Also this RGB to YPbPr issue sometimes seem to occur still but rebooting again couple times usually resolve it eventually.

Reactions: OSX15
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.