Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siaracci

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2023
Hi guys!

I don't know what to do. I found a really great bargain on a lightly used Macbook M1 MAX 64 GB 10 CPU 32 GPU - 5 battery cycles, used a couple of times. I use the laptop mainly for editing 4K videos. Today the M2 MAX came out. Let me recalculate for you how the prices look like in Poland PLN TO USD.

M1 MAX 64 GB maxed out lightly used I would get for $3400,
The price of the M2 MAX 64 GB 14 inches configuration - $ 4800.

Is it worth paying that much extra? Will the M1 MAX 64 GB configuration be sufficient for After Effects and 4k video editing?

I have to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
well depends is it a budget concern or not? if not the M2 Max and their price will always be there...so its upto you. I think both are very sufficient for what you need to do and will last a very long time. I dont foresee much of these device dwindling in efficiency or power.

siaracci

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2023
well depends is it a budget concern or not? if not the M2 Max and their price will always be there...so its upto you. I think both are very sufficient for what you need to do and will last a very long time. I dont foresee much of these device dwindling in efficiency or power.
I seem to have the budget, but I would rather spend it on something else - moreover, that I tend to change macbooks often! haha. If the M1 MAX is really sufficient for 4k video editing and after effects, I see no reason to upgrade for a dozen seconds of render faster.

Reactions: Basic75

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Unless you have long running tasks you'll probably not notice a performance difference between an M1 Max and an M2 Max. The word "notice" was chosen carefully, of course you can run benchmarks that show a 20% difference, but that's usually not enough to notice and it doesn't necessarily translate into 20% real-world performance gain either.

Reactions: 3Rock

siaracci

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2023
Unless you have long running tasks you'll probably not notice a performance difference between an M1 Max and an M2 Max. The word "notice" was chosen carefully, of course you can run benchmarks that show a 20% difference, but that's usually not enough to notice and it doesn't necessarily translate into 20% real-world performance gain either.
I chose the new m2 max, with a student discount. Spending so much money I prefer to add and have new equipment, you never know what will happen to the previous one, seemingly little used, but nevertheless something can always happen.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I chose the new m2 max, with a student discount. Spending so much money I prefer to add and have new equipment, you never know what will happen to the previous one, seemingly little used, but nevertheless something can always happen.
Have fun with your new machine!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Honestly I see no reason to spend the extra and move from a M1 Max to M2 Max. Most will not notice any difference in normal usage whatsoever. That 20% performance increase will be minuscule in actual day to day usage. There's also no large design change to warrant the extra either. Personally, I'm sticking with my M1 Max, and will do for several years.

Reactions: Basic75

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Personally, I'm sticking with my M1 Max, and will do for several years.
For people like us that already own an M1 Max there is indeed no reason to upgrade unless 64GB aren't enough. Heck, I just got an M1 mini as secondary computer a couple of weeks ago and I have zero regrets. For people still having to make the jump from Intel it's nice that they have something slightly better to jump to and I'm sure the M2 Pro Mac mini will find a lot of friends. I'm quite surprised they made one!

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Racking my brains whether to get the M2 Max or M1 Max too....i think M2 Max is not worth the extra price but then some say for people moving from intel macs (like me) the M2 Max would be a great choice.....but is HDMI 2.1 that important? Ugh......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.