Mac Mail App Broken for Some Gmail Users in macOS Mojave 10.14.4

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple earlier this week released macOS Mojave 10.14.4, which has had the unfortunate side effect of rendering the Mail app unusable for some who use Gmail services for their email addresses.

After installing the macOS 10.14.4 update and opening the Mail app, Gmail users are asked to authenticate their email addresses using a Google web login form.

Unfortunately, the authentication process does not stick, and shortly after authenticating, the Mail app asks for authentication once again or refuses to work, listing all Gmail accounts as offline.

There are threads on the Apple support forums and the MacRumors forums from users who are experiencing this issue, and we here at MacRumors have also run into the problem firsthand. MacRumors reader dwfaust describes the bug:
    Some users have had success setting up their email accounts using IMAP as a workaround. Those who have contacted Apple support have been told that a fix is in the works, so the bug could be addressed in the near future.

Article Link: Mac Mail App Broken for Some Gmail Users in macOS Mojave 10.14.4

2. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

Glad I haven't updated my personal MacBook Pro, in case this happens to me. Nice call on this one MacRumors. Now I'll just wit for an OS update before installing.

3. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

4. now i see it macrumors 68040

5. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Eh, it’s whatever. I’m not worried. Haven’t kept anything of importance in my gmail account in a while, just annoying subscriptions.

6. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

I contacted Apple Support 4 hours ago and was repeatedly told that they hadn’t heard of this problem and that “I should contact Google support.” I pushed back and got the issue escalated... but I was never told that Apple was aware of the issue, nor that a fix was in the works.

7. coolsean20 macrumors regular

coolsean20

8. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

It's not surprising the support people haven't been told anything. This will percolate through reporting for a few days, through planning for a few days and a few weeks later comes "supplemental update". After that, it will show up on support's screen.

I restored to 10.14.3, where I'll stay until they figure out what they borked.

9. benspratling macrumors 6502

I tried to sign in to a gmail-based email account on my new iPad mini (with Apple Pencil support!) today and it also failed similarly to the above description. Could this also be a bug in iOS 12.2?

10. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Had gmail bug on Mac mini.

Also yahoo was buggy in iOS. Some mails shunted to outbox and had to be manually resent a bit later.

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

13. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

The good news is that so far I haven't seen it happen in 10.14.5 yet, the bad news is I just upgraded so I haven't really tested it out yet.

14. boby51 macrumors newbie

It seems that if you click on warning icon (far top right) the gmail account starts getting email again....

15. coolfactor macrumors 68040

I don't recall Apple ever issuing just a Mail.app update. It's always part of a larger OS update. Never could figure out why they do that. Maybe there are support libraries outside of the .app bundle that need to be updated, too?

16. themikedshaffer macrumors newbie

Sadly, it’s busted on my 13” MBP... Gmail is so jacked up on Mac OS and iOS for me, I’ve switched to the Google branded mail client on my iOS devices. Probably just switch to Chrome or something on the Mac. And that sucks...

17. coolfactor macrumors 68040

I would have expected an update from Apple by now. Surely this is an easy fix. Do they think users can just wait days because Gmail is accessible other ways?

18. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

been going on for weeks, annoying as crap! The crack programming staff at apple are at it again.... good grief.

19. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

There's no such thing as an easy fix. This is probably broken because someone thought something else was easy to fix and this broke as a result.

Any patch needs to be QA'd, and that will take a cycle or two. I just wish there was a better way for Apple to get the word out to people that there are known issues to be aware of so people didn't update and get hit with this in the mean time.

Thanks to MR for posting it. At least I know I'm not crazy. At least this can't be taken as further evidence that I'm crazy.

20. rek89 macrumors member

So, out of curiosity then, what mail service do you use for things of importance?

21. iAVERY macrumors member

iCloud mail or ProtonMail. Depends on what it is for.

22. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

I'm on a Hackintosh 10.14.2 and my main GMail account is in an endless authentication check loop. My secondary email works just fine, though. It's quite annoying.

23. pika2000 macrumors 601

Okay this can be annoying. I guess I’ll be holding off upgrading.

24. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

I have a Fix. Use ProtonMail.

25. stumpapi macrumors member

stumpapi

I spent hours with Apple Support yesterday trying to resolve this very issue. Why don't they just admit they messed up again? At least I would know what was wrong rather than the same old advice. Reinstall the OS they said. Two hours later no fix only lost settings and needed more after time to set up again. Don't they test before release? For the thousands it cost for the computer we deserve better.