Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mailappicon.jpg
Apple earlier this week released macOS Mojave 10.14.4, which has had the unfortunate side effect of rendering the Mail app unusable for some who use Gmail services for their email addresses.

After installing the macOS 10.14.4 update and opening the Mail app, Gmail users are asked to authenticate their email addresses using a Google web login form.

Unfortunately, the authentication process does not stick, and shortly after authenticating, the Mail app asks for authentication once again or refuses to work, listing all Gmail accounts as offline.

There are threads on the Apple support forums and the MacRumors forums from users who are experiencing this issue, and we here at MacRumors have also run into the problem firsthand. MacRumors reader dwfaust describes the bug:
I updated to Mojave 10.14.4 yesterday and all seemed good. This morning I woke up to most (5 of 7) Gmail accounts "offline" and prompting for login credentials "in Safari".

I went through the process of entering email addresses and passwords, and the accounts are still offline.
Whenever I try to take them online, I get prompted for the logins again, but they won't come back online.

Rebooted twice, but no go.
Some users have had success setting up their email accounts using IMAP as a workaround. Those who have contacted Apple support have been told that a fix is in the works, so the bug could be addressed in the near future.

Article Link: Mac Mail App Broken for Some Gmail Users in macOS Mojave 10.14.4

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
I contacted Apple Support 4 hours ago and was repeatedly told that they hadn’t heard of this problem and that “I should contact Google support.” I pushed back and got the issue escalated... but I was never told that Apple was aware of the issue, nor that a fix was in the works.

Reactions: Wilburx3

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
I contacted Apple Support 4 hours ago and was repeatedly told that they hadn’t heard of this problem and that “I should contact Google support.” I pushed back and got the issue escalated... but I was never told that Apple was aware of the issue, nor that a fix was in the works.

It's not surprising the support people haven't been told anything. This will percolate through reporting for a few days, through planning for a few days and a few weeks later comes "supplemental update". After that, it will show up on support's screen.

I restored to 10.14.3, where I'll stay until they figure out what they borked.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
I tried to sign in to a gmail-based email account on my new iPad mini (with Apple Pencil support!) today and it also failed similarly to the above description. Could this also be a bug in iOS 12.2?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Had gmail bug on Mac mini.

Also yahoo was buggy in iOS. Some mails shunted to outbox and had to be manually resent a bit later.

boby51

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019

mailappicon.jpg
Apple earlier this week released macOS Mojave 10.14.4, which has had the unfortunate side effect of rendering the Mail app unusable for some who use Gmail services for their email addresses.

After installing the macOS 10.14.4 update and opening the Mail app, Gmail users are asked to authenticate their email addresses using a Google web login form.

Unfortunately, the authentication process does not stick, and shortly after authenticating, the Mail app asks for authentication once again or refuses to work, listing all Gmail accounts as offline.

There are threads on the Apple support forums and the MacRumors forums from users who are experiencing this issue, and we here at MacRumors have also run into the problem firsthand. MacRumors reader dwfaust describes the bug:Some users have had success setting up their email accounts using IMAP as a workaround. Those who have contacted Apple support have been told that a fix is in the works, so the bug could be addressed in the near future.

It seems that if you click on warning icon (far top right) the gmail account starts getting email again....

Reactions: mcneale

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Those who have contacted Apple support have been told that a fix is in the works, so the bug could be addressed in the near future.

I don't recall Apple ever issuing just a Mail.app update. It's always part of a larger OS update. Never could figure out why they do that. Maybe there are support libraries outside of the .app bundle that need to be updated, too?

Reactions: orbital~debris

themikedshaffer

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
Sadly, it’s busted on my 13” MBP... Gmail is so jacked up on Mac OS and iOS for me, I’ve switched to the Google branded mail client on my iOS devices. Probably just switch to Chrome or something on the Mac. And that sucks...

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I would have expected an update from Apple by now. Surely this is an easy fix. Do they think users can just wait days because Gmail is accessible other ways?
There's no such thing as an easy fix. This is probably broken because someone thought something else was easy to fix and this broke as a result.

Any patch needs to be QA'd, and that will take a cycle or two. I just wish there was a better way for Apple to get the word out to people that there are known issues to be aware of so people didn't update and get hit with this in the mean time.

Thanks to MR for posting it. At least I know I'm not crazy. At least this can't be taken as further evidence that I'm crazy.

BaccaBossMC

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
NC, USA
I'm on a Hackintosh 10.14.2 and my main GMail account is in an endless authentication check loop. My secondary email works just fine, though. It's quite annoying.

stumpapi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Maine

mailappicon.jpg

There are threads on the Apple support forums and the MacRumors forums from users who are experiencing this issue, and we here at MacRumors have also run into the problem firsthand. MacRumors reader dwfaust describes the bug:Some users have had success setting up their email accounts using IMAP as a workaround. Those who have contacted Apple support have been told that a fix is in the works, so the bug could be addressed in the near future.

I spent hours with Apple Support yesterday trying to resolve this very issue. Why don't they just admit they messed up again? At least I would know what was wrong rather than the same old advice. Reinstall the OS they said. Two hours later no fix only lost settings and needed more after time to set up again. Don't they test before release? For the thousands it cost for the computer we deserve better.

Reactions: Larsribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.