Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I updated to Mojave 10.14.4 yesterday and all seemed good. This morning I woke up to most (5 of 7) Gmail accounts "offline" and prompting for login credentials "in Safari".

I went through the process of entering email addresses and passwords, and the accounts are still offline.
Whenever I try to take them online, I get prompted for the logins again, but they won't come back online.

Rebooted twice, but no go.

What did Apple screw up on Mail with this update?

stuuke

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
I updated to Mojave 10.14.4 yesterday and all seemed good. This morning I woke up to most (5 of 7) Gmail accounts "offline" and prompting for login credentials "in Safari".

I went through the process of entering email addresses and passwords, and the accounts are still offline.
Whenever I try to take them online, I get prompted for the logins again, but they won't come back online.

Rebooted twice, but no go.

What did Apple screw up on Mail with this update?

I'm having the same issue. I go through the process to confirm the account through Safari and it just keeps asking for it.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Me too :(
[doublepost=1553612416][/doublepost]I've worked around it for now by deleting my Google Account from System Preferences->Internet Accounts and manually setting up the account in Mail.app. Had to use an app-specific password. Hoping Apple fix this soon as I doubt most people will manage to get it done manually in this way.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
probably some side effect of the exchange bug fix in the update.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Is hotmail really still around? Honest question.

LOL yeah, its now outlook but yeah its around..have had it for so many years so I still use it..I assume outlook is not an issue with this? Reading so many issues with this update Im kind of nervous to update my macbook pro 2018

stuuke

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
LOL yeah, its now outlook but yeah its around..have had it for so many years so I still use it..I assume outlook is not an issue with this? Reading so many issues with this update Im kind of nervous to update my macbook pro 2018
I typically wait a few days after a release but I wanted to try the news+. Learned my lesson.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I typically wait a few days after a release but I wanted to try the news+. Learned my lesson.

yeah what I worry about is any kind of bricking..someone posted on the other thread that their iMac Pro's bricked..I have a laptop, Im so super careful with it I obviously dont want that to happen to mine. I know with any kind of update there are always a few people who experience issues its always like that but this time it seems to be more widespread

stuuke

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
yeah what I worry about is any kind of bricking..someone posted on the other thread that their iMac Pro's bricked..I have a laptop, Im so super careful with it I obviously dont want that to happen to mine. I know with any kind of update there are always a few people who experience issues its always like that but this time it seems to be more widespread
The weird thing is that I updated the OS last night and received emails this morning. Then things went to ****.

Jona

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Me too :(
[doublepost=1553612416][/doublepost]I've worked around it for now by deleting my Google Account from System Preferences->Internet Accounts and manually setting up the account in Mail.app. Had to use an app-specific password. Hoping Apple fix this soon as I doubt most people will manage to get it done manually in this way.

Ugh, same thing over here with my 3 Gmail accounts. Although this workaround isn't working for me. In the Accounts tab of Mail's Preferences there's a thing that says "Status" and I'm stuck at "Status: Checking" after successfully authenticating.
[doublepost=1553626668][/doublepost]
Ugh, same thing over here with my 3 Gmail accounts. Although this workaround isn't working for me. In the Accounts tab of Mail's Preferences there's a thing that says "Status" and I'm stuck at "Status: Checking" after successfully authenticating.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 11.55.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 11.55.33 AM.png
    424.3 KB · Views: 597

Cehape

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
Germany
Not helping you guys, but I just checked it at my MacBook and both Mail & Calender are working with my GMail Account. In Mail under preferences / Accounts the Status says "online".
So, there seems to be an issue, but it's not affecting everyone.

stuuke

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Not helping you guys, but I just checked it at my MacBook and both Mail & Calender are working with my GMail Account. In Mail under preferences / Accounts the Status says "online".
So, there seems to be an issue, but it's not affecting everyone.

There's a post on the Apple forum about the tokens expiring which causes it to stop at different times for different people. Mine working fine first thing this morning.

sunef

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2019
I had this problem to begin with and was forced to authenticate my gmail account again. This did not solve the problem but now after 1 - 2 hours everything is back to normal. Temporary problem at Google Gmail?

dborod

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Here's what we know:
  • the 10.14.4 update forces a re-authentication of google email accounts
  • this re-authentication uses a new authentication process that's triggered in Mail.app
  • Mail.app opens a modal dialog, then opens a new Safari window, you authenticate, and then the Safari window closes and the modal dialog closes
  • for some google email accounts it works fine, for others it does not.

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
Here's what we know:
  • the 10.14.4 update forces a re-authentication of google email accounts
  • this re-authentication uses a new authentication process that's triggered in Mail.app
  • Mail.app opens a modal dialog, then opens a new Safari window, you authenticate, and then the Safari window closes and the modal dialog closes
  • for some google email accounts it works fine, for others it does not.
it worked fine for all my Google accounts EXCEPT my school email (which is gmail), which uses my school site to log in

vonwalland

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2019
it worked fine for all my Google accounts EXCEPT my school email (which is gmail), which uses my school site to log in

I have four G-Suite accounts (including a school account that uses Shibboleth) and one regular Gmail account. All of them worked fine for me except one of the G-Suite accounts.

anthonyzp

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Yep I am having issue also. Cannot log into my Gmail accounts. Keep receiving a loop to authenticate. I authenticate and then it loops again asking me all over. Unbelievable. Terrible, cannot send or receive work emails now from MacBook.

Will try the workaround which was suggested earlier.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
same issue here.

Although Apple Mail said I need to authenticate/sign-in and it seems to have fixed it

Last edited:

anthonyzp

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
The IMAP workaround appears to work for the time being until Apple/Google release a fix for G Suite email accounts in 10.14.4.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
Setup your account as other
We were able to delete the account and them re-add it as an IMAP account as follows**.

User name: full email address

Incoming server: imap.gmail.com

Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com

Reactions: TonyK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.