Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
10 needful things for a new MPB for me.

1. Latest generation video cards.
2. High res 15" screen.
3. Blu-ray burner.
4. 8GB maximum memory
5. 500GB HD
6. Quad core cpu.
7. Memory card reader.
8. HDMI and e-sata ports.
9. Fingerprint reader.
10. A 30" LED ACD. :cool: :D

Thank you Apple !
You might be lucky and get no. 5. Thats about it. A fingerprint reader is a pointless gimmick.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
You might be lucky and get no. 5. Thats about it. A fingerprint reader is a pointless gimmick.

I second that. I swear this website is degrading into a bunch of illiterate stooges. Intel doesn't even have quad core mobile chips available yet, and even if they did, the MBP would melt in your lap. Its TDP is nowhere near high enough to dissipate that kind of heat.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
darn, i just got my mabook pro last month. owell, without it, i would've gone crazy from waiting. the only way apple will get me to upgrade the ipod touch is by adding a camera. while they're at it, why not change the back into something other than stainless steel?

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Blu ray players are almost standard on all laptops more than half the price of a MBP these days, sorry fanboys, welcome to the real world, blu ray is not high end, if Apple don't offer it in the new MBPs it will be a complete joke.

Jake381

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
I think there is a chance of an "iPod nano touch" style device with the current dimensions. When you look at them they are just about big enough to sport a screen to work with the itunes store (meaning more music sales while people are on the go [damn that store was a good idea]), when put on their side they certainly could be made a widescreen style ipod, and they are probably the most popular ipod now given their affordability. Apple would appear to be integrating their "touch" technology into all their products if the glass trackpad rumors are true.

The shuffle has not had much serious attention in terms of style since late 2006 and still shows off the old casing.

2Shae

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Blu ray players are almost standard on all laptops more than half the price of a MBP these days, sorry fanboys, welcome to the real world, blu ray is not high end, if Apple don't offer it in the new MBPs it will be a complete joke.

Hardly anyone uses blu-ray. It's a dying technology which was never really alive.

I can't even think of a reason to use blu-ray.

tdk86

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Anyone else think that MBP will be released in August still and Ipod Touch in Sept?

I hope that Apple is just waiting for retailers to run out of mbp and will update before the end of the school promo. Say this did happen and I ordered the new mbp in Mid Sept with the school promo for the free old ipod. Didn't open the ipod and then returned it after the new touch is released, but within the 14 day return period. Would apple allow me to return an "old" unopened ipod for a new touch?

I will seriously go f***ing crazy if I have to wait for the mbps to release in late September!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Still hoping for mbp 8-5-08...

macgirl2

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
release

if they are going to update the macbooks in september...when do they announce its release date??? August? is it like the iphone where they tell you in june that its coming out in july 11???;):):apple:

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Hardly anyone uses blu-ray. It's a dying technology which was never really alive.

what?? bluray is much better then dvd and we will start to see more of bluray then dvd. Hi-def movies is the nextgen

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Well I just remembered... wasnt Apple supposed to announce the list of 20 countries to get iPhone on 22nd Aug.... What happened to that?:confused:

Would it likely hamper the new iPods or MB/Ps?

cthomet

macrumors regular
hmm i wonder if they will be released the same day (notebooks and ipods) or whether it will be staggered. that also begs the question, will the mbp and mb be updated the same day?

and ps for all the "ahh-back-to-school-soon-this-timing-sucks" people...im with you :D classes start the 22nd of september for me. i may buy a mbp the second week of september then return in the 2 week window. i dont care about the promo so much, i just want the latest mbp...at least for 6 months till nehalem :D

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008

He he....:D

no wait... am I seriously reading this <gasp>:eek:

And are you serious about this:confused: or was that a joke?

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
blu-ray in macbooks?
you can't really tell me that you wan't to watch these on a tft-screen! :eek: and you really can't tell me that - if - you see a, any, difference that you really care of. on a notebook-screen! :eek: go buy a good tv and be happy. and if you want to burn you movies (for whatever reason), buy an external device.

of what I have heard so far, blu-ray would cost a lot of battery power, and as I am really pretty happy with old DVD's quality, I really don't see the point in adding them to the macbooks.

and for the "noone uses it" thing, I don't know anybody around me who has got blue-ray discs (besides that they are much more expensive than common dvds) or a player.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007

agrred. we just have some hard core apple fans here who dont even bother to see what the real world is like they ear, breathe and sleep apple...

Dieing? ummm it fought off the formatt war with HD-DVD, so yeah its alive and kicking. People said the same thing about DVDs back in the late 90s, they said VHS will stay, ha 5 years later VHS died and DVD came in full swing. Give it time, in a few short years blu-ray will be all the rave...

oh and I use blu-ray. so how would you know what people use and what people dont use..

Yep exactly. blu-ray was never, and hardly will ever be, alive.

erm... read my comment above.

To play back blu-ray movies?

and more. these are just some kids who dont appreciate the finer things in life

or

HD-DVD fans and are mad that Toshiba lost the format war.

what?? bluray is much better then dvd and we will start to see more of bluray then dvd. Hi-def movies is the nextgen

EXACTLY! Like I said above, people said the same thing about DVD in the late 90s. They wanted VHS to stay. Well around 2002 DVD came in full swing. give them time, around 2010 blu-ray will become standard. it won the formatt war.

blu-ray in macbooks?
you can't really tell me that you wan't to watch these on a tft-screen! :eek: and you really can't tell me that - if - you see a, any, difference that you really care of. on a notebook-screen! :eek: go buy a good tv and be happy. and if you want to burn you movies (for whatever reason), buy an external device.

untill apple comes out with a higher res. screen or makes the 16" and 18" laptops blu-ray may not be on a mac. a 16" and 18" screen can use the true 1920x1200 as well as 1080p but times change. People said apple will never use intel nor have anything to do with windows. now look. Intel processers and boot camp.

of what I have heard so far, blu-ray would cost a lot of battery power, and as I am really pretty happy with old DVD's quality, I really don't see the point in adding them to the macbooks.

not untill they do what I mentoned above....

and for the "noone uses it" thing, I don't know anybody around me who has got blue-ray discs (besides that they are much more expensive than common dvds) or a player.

Blu-ray discs here cost close to anywhere between 20 and 30 bucks. DVDs cost a bit more back in the late 90s and early 2000s when DVD was brand new. So your lucky. Plus you get what you pay for. 1080p high def. movie.

VHS, on the other hand was expensive in the late 70s and early 80s. Disney was the huge rip of, as they charged you for a VHS movie close to 100 bucks when other movies were anywhere bwtween 40 and 60 bucks.

as for players. Sony has 3 models. all do the same job. expect they have different processor and chips inside. We picked up a sony band at the sony style store for 1399 (my dad wanted it) as that one would last up to 10 years because it had higher qullalty parts but still prodcued the same as the lets say $300 one.

Give it time soon you, your friends and your family will move to blu-ray...... like I said same talk went on with DVD, VHS, 8track and a lot more....

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
I'm just waiting for a new MacBook Air before I make the switch.
Now that's going to be a long wait. :(

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
@Chris: could agree with that. still they should make it optional, as some people maybe really don't want it and so don't want to pay the extra-price (besides all the other "compromises"...like bigger screen eg)

I for example really don't care at all about 1080p high def, I've seen it in some stores and I don't see a difference that I care about. So I'm pretty fine with the old ^^(and yup, I still have VHS, watching them from time to time :p )

--

I just hope they're not gonna update the Air just a week after I bought mine :p Can't wait until September, there are too good offers around here...

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
People, have you tried watching DVDs on your MBPs lately? Now load up an HD trailer at Apple.com and tell me if you notice a difference.

I'll do it myself in fact.. brb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.