Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cml1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Hello,

I have just added an external monitor to my MacBook Pro 16" and have a few questions:

1) When using my actual MacBook when I use safari and go to a website and want to log in I am able to use keychain to input my password, when using an external monitor and keyboard this isn't an option and I am made to type in my keychain password to get it to input the website password - this seems a bit pointless as I may as well type the websites password myself, is there a better solution to this?

2) When I used my MacBook and closed the lid and walked away it automatically locked it, now I have an external monitor what would be the fastest way to put my Mac to sleep when I want to walk away from it? can I get a dock shortcut I can click that makes the system sleep?

Thank you for any help you are able to offer :)

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I'm doing a new set up like this too and am looking for an external Fingerprint sensor to use while my MBP 16" is closed. Is there such a device? I see several finger print scanners out there but none of them specifically say they will work with a closed MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.