Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopCatz

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
UK
Preview

Am I missing something as I don't notice anything particularly different about Preview.. What's changed?

vgurl

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2004
da Bronx
Well I'm anxious to hear if this update has really screwed w/ anyone's machine in terms of their 3rd party apps like CandyBar, Synergy, Quicksilver etc. I'm still running 10.3.3 on my 15" AL PB 1.25 Ghz b/c of all of the horror stories I've read on this forum & others. I'd really like to do this software upgrade mostly b/c I want to give Apple's Motion software a trial run & I don't think it will run on anything less than 10.3.6. So any advice for a newb? Should I go ahead w/ an Archive & Install? I just repaired my permissions & I'm not sure what else I should do before I decide to give this update a whirl. I don't want to try to fix anything that ain't broke but at the same time if it'll make my machine run better I'd like to give it a try. Let me know what you guys think :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
vgurl said:
Well I'm anxious to hear if this update has really screwed w/ anyone's machine in terms of their 3rd party apps like CandyBar, Synergy, Quicksilver etc. I'm still running 10.3.3 on my 15" AL PB 1.25 Ghz b/c of all of the horror stories I've read on this forum & others. I'd really like to do this software upgrade mostly b/c I want to give Apple's Motion software a trial run & I don't think it will run on anything less than 10.3.6. So any advice for a newb? Should I go ahead w/ an Archive & Install? I just repaired my permissions & I'm not sure what else I should do before I decide to give this update a whirl. I don't want to try to fix anything that ain't broke but at the same time if it'll make my machine run better I'd like to give it a try. Let me know what you guys think :)

Repair permissions, of course.

Force maintenance from terminal:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

Force update prebinding:

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Restart

Backup

Install! :D

bikeboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
The emperor has no clothes...

It seems that every time there's an update, a strong majority of the faithful go out of their way to say how much quicker their systems are. Well, here are some of my recent XBench scores matched to recent updates:

10.3.5 (122.06)
10.3.6 (115.91)
10.3.7 (110.69)

All tests were done on my 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook w/768MB RAM with Airport off, no apps running.

Comments? Confirmations?

eatwasabi

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2004
Am I the only one with a graphical problem (after the patch) running warcraft iii forzen throne? When it's night time, and I drag select units, I notice the colors of the buildings become day time. I'm on a 17'' flat 1ghz g4 with 768 mb ram.

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
Repair Permissions

sjpetry said:
I am new to Mac's and I would like to know what procedures I should take before updating. Thanks!

I don't do too much before, some people back up files with third party software to CDs, DVDs, or External drives WHICH THEY UNPLUG BEFORE UPDATING! But after the install, it's good to "Repair Permissions." Go to your Applications folder, click on the Utilities folder and click on "Disk Utility," select your hard drive and click "Repair Permissions." This is good to do every month or two, especially after updating software or the OS.

There's no need to de-fragment Mac OS X at any time; it's done after installing software and updating the OS (when the install is done, you'll notice the status bar says "Optimizing hard drive," or something to that effect-- this is code for de-fragmenting the file system).

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
No real difference on the iMac 1.8...I'll bench it tomorrow, but my iBook has a new life. I'll put it on the Powermac when I get home. :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
fabsgwu said:
when the install is done, you'll notice the status bar says "Optimizing hard drive," or something to that effect-- this is code for de-fragmenting the file system

Actually, when it says it's optimising, it's actually updating prebinding. Defragmentation occurs behind the scenes when you least expect it, muahahaha! :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

iGary said:
No real difference on the iMac 1.8...I'll bench it tomorrow, but my iBook has a new life. I'll put it on the Powermac when I get home. :D

Update your signature, you lazy slacker :p

Edit: Aforementioned signature has now been updated :)

vgurl

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2004
da Bronx
iGary said:
Repair permissions, of course.

Force maintenance from terminal:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

Force update prebinding:

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Restart

Backup

Install! :D

Thx iGary! Think I'll go ahead & bite the bullet on this one & try the update :)

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
bikeboy said:
It seems that every time there's an update, a strong majority of the faithful go out of their way to say how much quicker their systems are. Well, here are some of my recent XBench scores matched to recent updates:

10.3.5 (122.06)
10.3.6 (115.91)
10.3.7 (110.69)

All tests were done on my 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook w/768MB RAM with Airport off, no apps running.

Comments? Confirmations?

Well... I must say... Everything seems MUCH faster!

I checked xBench, I scored 119.44 in 10.3.7 with the PB listed in my sig. Seems to be the same config as you. I've never ran xBench before so I can't compare to prior versions.

hoyboy9

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2004
PB G4 UT 2004 Framerates: 5 FPS increase!

Ok, here's some specific UT framerate data. ONS Torlan, 7 bots, full version of UT2004 with the latest patch.

On 10.3.6, I got an average of 23-24 frames per second during the game. After updating to 10.3.7, I consistently get 29-30 fps, and when the action isn't heavy, it it goes nearly up to 55-60.

PB G4: 1.5 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 64 MB Radeon

Thumbs WAY up for this update. :)

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Just want to chime in here.

Everything's peachy on my 17" PowerBook G4. Specs in sig. Window resizing seems noticeably smoother too, almost as good as Tiger.

-Drew

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
NEENAHBOY said:
Just a general observation here, but I have AOL and every time I close it, the "unexpectedly quit..." dialog box comes up. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is an OS X bug or (much more likely IMHO) an AOL bug?

(EDIT): Well, I'll be darned. It seems to have corrected the issue that cbssportsline.com was having with Safari. Thanks, Apple!
I'm not an AOL user myself, but I know someone who is. This person has experienced this same issue (AOL unexpectedly quits when you quit it normally) with 10.3.5 and 10.3.6 on an eMac (the eMac came with 10.3.5). Seems to me like an AOL bug.

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
What pre-update procedures should I put my iBook G4 through? I've always just updated without doing anything else and I haven't had any problems with just doing that.

eazyway

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
lots of room

IJ Reilly said:
All I can say is, Apple better release Tiger soon. They're running out of mathematical room for fractional updates for 10.3!

There is no real limit on incremental updates ie 10.3.57 and so on

Mtn Tamale

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Denver, CO
Drag to Printer icon .pdf printing doesn't work

Thanks. Tried it just now with the dozen or so in question. Didn't work. I'll have to start complaining to Apple.

PDubNYC said:
Have you tried dragging the files to the printer icon in your Dock? I had some trouble for a while printing PDFs created by a Citrix app. I know it sucks, but for me it did the trick.

vgurl

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2004
da Bronx
Wonder Boy said:
everything is perfect for me running 10.3.(0) dare i update to 10.3.7?

I dared & so far have had no problems. Just follow iGary's advice to me earlier & you should be fine. All of my 3rd party apps (Konfabulator, CandyBar, Shapeshifter, etc.) seem to be intact as are my settings. Phew!..what a relief I didn't have any of the aggravations that I've read about w/ other updates.

Let's hope I'm not jinxing myself tho!

...Happy Updating :)

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Update is working perfectly for me so far.

Xbench Scores (Machine Spec's in Sig)

10.3.6: 115.96
10.3.7: 121.66

I guess there is a slight speed increase associated with this update.

ddbean

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2003
Thousand Oaks, CA
Mail issue now?

After I updated to 10.3.7 it takes over 30 seconds for Mail application to fully close. I tried repairing permissions and get same result. Is anyone else seeing this?
The Mail windows close right away, but the Mail menu bar stays up for the 30+ secs before it closes.
Any ideas?

EDIT:
NEVER MIND... I guess app was slowing down due to Virex running on re-start...tried it again and it closes right away...sorry...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.