Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Stella said:
Excellent Stuff.

Shame my PC is Athlon so doesn't support SSE3 - otherwise I'd try this as soon as 10.4.4 came out.

I'm sure an SSE2 hack will be out soon, just like the dev builds.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
The article says the patch supports SSE2 not SSE3, unless its a typo that means it will run on most recent Athlons.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Many said:
Mac os x will never be hacked to run on generic PCs, apple have done everythng to stop it happening.
Yep. Right. :rolleyes: To stop it as much as possible, they should have given all intel macs Firewire 800 and put the OS as only on a flash drive. That would at least slow it down heaps.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
To those who think this is sheer doomsday, this patch and the people that run it are .0001 percent of peecee lusers with little time on their hands and some bank accounts, it's not the average user nor representative of computer people in general. Ask average guy-on-the-street about it and they'll go "huh?" Some apps have stabilitiy issues running on a FUGLY peecee under X and there's a list of other problems that make this more like a eye candy/weenie-who's-never-kissed-a-girl-living-in-parents-basement-no-life bragging rights type of "look at me, I'm running OS X on my Dull Inspir(onlya)moron box" to which if anyone with a clue asked them "uh, great, I guess, what are you going to do with it?" They'd give back a blank stare, because the answer is, not much.

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
I really have no problem with people who want to play around with the OS, and neither do I think Apple (behind closed doors), considering most mac owners will pay for the hardware to get the simplicity OS X provides. No matter what the outcome, I don't think hardly anyone will use Mac OS X on a generic PC as their primary OS, if at all. The people running this are probably using three distros of Linux at the same time and a pirate version of windows.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
the_ki said:
Why isn't OS X tied to EFI? Doesn't this mean that OS X is booting on machines with plain old ordinary BIOS? The Macintels are using EFI; I'll admit that I'm kind of stupid when it comes to this stuff, but how is it that OSX86 doesn't require EFI to boot? :confused:

It IS tied to EFI. And yes, it's booting on BIOS boxes.

That's why it had to be hacked to run.

timswim78 said:
The X86 versions of OS X "phone home," and Apple has the IP address of every customer that is not running it on Apple hardware.

Except that it's easy to track all network traffic, things like this are caught very quickly. Something like that could easily be blocked or hacked out, assuming the OS can even tell if it's on a legit machine or not.

Lord Blackadder said:
It isn't hard to imagine that a PC with Opterons or P4 EEs would run OS X blazing fast.....but it would be buggy as hell. This is really just a proof of concept hack; I imagine it is totally impractical for day-to day use.

From what people have posted online, the main source of problems is drivers. If your video card is supported and you're just running apps that don't talk to extra hardware, it's supposed to be very usable and stable.

Speeds depend on the processor, to get an idea you can compare generic benchmarks of core duo versus AMD or pentium.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Photorun said:
To those who think this is sheer doomsday, this patch and the people that run it are .0001 percent of peecee lusers with little time on their hands and some bank accounts, it's not the average user nor representative of computer people in general. Ask average guy-on-the-street about it and they'll go "huh?" Some apps have stabilitiy issues running on a FUGLY peecee under X and there's a list of other problems that make this more like a eye candy/weenie-who's-never-kissed-a-girl-living-in-parents-basement-no-life bragging rights type of "look at me, I'm running OS X on my Dull Inspir(onlya)moron box" to which if anyone with a clue asked them "uh, great, I guess, what are you going to do with it?" They'd give back a blank stare, because the answer is, not much.

LOL :D

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
timswim78 said:
I think that Appler should hire this Maxxuss person to help them protect their OS.

Someone would take his place. I think they should wake up to the fact that they aren't the ultimate authority on hardware and realize that they have an amazing oppurtunity. They can either be the major player in the computer industry or the guys who come up with all of Microsoft's "innovations" for them, their choice.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
mainstreetmark said:
You gotta realize that OSX is so stable and all of that because Apple is presenting a vertically integrated package here, much like iPod/iTMS....

Yes OSX is stable but no more stable then any other system based on BSD, or Linux or Solaris. Solaris almost certainly wins the stability race and it can run on Generic PC hardware

Vertical integration makes the quality control job smaller but does not give them an advantage over the others in stability

Writing a modern, stable OS is not a black art. You can go to school and study the subjuct. There are books you can read and so on. It's been studied to death and there is a ton of published academic work on the subject so it should be no surprize if Darwin, Solaris, Linux and BSD work well. The real surprize is that after (I assume) reading the same books and going to the same schools the guys at Redmond didn't get it quite right but I think thier managment had diffent goals

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Photorun said:

no its more like im a poor college student trying to get by in life that also happens love apple and Mac OSX. Unfortunatly I only had 400 dollers to spare for a computer so I had to go make myself a custom PC with what I could. These candy/weenie-whoes-never-kissed-a-girl people are getting down and dirty and putting a ******** of work to make it one day possibile for people as myself to runn the OS I love on my crappy PC.

Dont open your mouth when you live such a comfrable life and can put down 2k on a new mac. There are lots of people less fortunate than you.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
jsnuff1 said:
no its more like im a poor college student trying to get by in life that also happens love apple and Mac OSX. Unfortunatly I only had 400 dollers to spare for a computer so I had to go make myself a custom PC with what I could. These candy/weenie-whoes-never-kissed-a-girl people are getting down and dirty and putting a ******** of work to make it one day possibile for people as myself to runn the OS I love on my crappy PC.

Dont open your mouth when you live such a comfrable life and can put down 2k on a new mac. There are lots of people less fortunate than you.

I just waited until after I graduated college to run the OS I love.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I'm hoping efforts like this lead to WINE, or similar, being publicly available and easy enough to use by joe average. The more tinkering and info made available, the more likely we can do whatever we like on our OS of choice (Mac for me!) and not be hindered by artificial limitations.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
seashellz said:
I dont understand why APPLE is being so bullheaded about this-the faithfull-and a LOT of newcomers will STILL want to buy a superior Mac Box-and for those who dont-it cant hurt APPLE to sell a few million MORE copies a year of OS X for the PC users who want it...

They've said it before. They can't make the business case for it. In other words lost sales on their hardware will not be covered by extra sales of the OS.

Perhaps after they have gone all Intel and Windows Vista is out and able to run on their boxes, they can make that big jump. They can't really make that decision until they have converted and can re-assess the situation. So don't expect this miracle until at least mid 2007.

AndreMA

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2004
Boston, MA
jsnuff1 said:

I weep for the future of America and current college admissions standards.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
WhyWhyWhy said:
No shocker and am glad. Since Apple made the huge mistake of switching hardware platforms AGAIN anybody can run OS 10. I think this is what Apple wants, it's obvious, they are conforming, they have lost the edge. They make their bread and butter from the iPod, not pc's.

FUD never gets old, eh?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Lord Blackadder said:
Anyway, it is inevitable that people are going to hack OS X to work on non-Apple hardware, but hardware support for it will always be poor.

Yep, that's why this is unlikely to be a severe problem. Most Mac users want the guaranteed compatability. That's why it's an attractive alternative---becauase everything works together. A few people will want to try to get it running on a PC. But isn't this basically the same group of people who would pirate windows? If you're dealing with people who pirate, what can you do? Integrate some sort of protection, like Windows has, or leave them to their own devices.

BAsically no one will ever be allowed, without apple's consent, to market a PC that's "mac compatible". So where's the worry?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
This Is The Best For Mac: Mac Os X On Any Pc!!!

This is absolutely GREAT news. Once PC people know about Mac OS X, they will never use Windows again.

Mac OS X on PCs out there is the best thing that can happen to Mac because Mac OS X needs exposure. This is the best way to boost Mac OS X market share from 3% to 30% in a few years.

And once people use Mac OS X, they will purchase Macs as well. Millions will do it!

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
jsnuff1 said:

Sorry to sound harsh, but people in your situation should be "getting down and dirty and putting a sh*tload of work" to better their lifestyle so they are able to afford the consumerist goods they want. Time spent on getting the OS you love on your crappy PC is a *waste* of time in the long run.

You could have picked up a second hand Mac and be running OS X on that with 400$. It wouldn't be the fastest Mac around, but it would do the job just fine. I guess it's all about priorities. :rolleyes:

Whatever said:
Bad PR for who?

Apple or the thief who is stealing software!

Apple for invading people's privacy without them knowing.

WhyWhyWhy said:
No surpise, Apples are just Crapintels now

Sure, they used to be Merdarolas*, so what's the difference? :rolleyes:

*French 101 required to get joke.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
artiepants said:
I guess that's why 10.4.5 was just released... interesting.

Wow, released the same day as this hack is announced. I assume it was too late for them to look at the hack and try and beef up their security in response to it.

In the future, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple gets their hands on the hacks and uses them to decide how to make their security stronger. I wonder if hacked 10.4.4 machines will see the update and try to download it? I'm guessing it does some sort of check so those won't work.

That may be Apple's best shot - if people have to take big steps to get OS updates, it may not be worth the trouble using the hacked OS.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
jsnuff1 said:

Basically, there would be nothing worst than seeing someone running Mac OS X on a non-optimized Mac.

If you can't afford a Mac (come on now, you're telling me that you couldn't have given up Starbucks for a month and save an additional $100.00 and get a Mac Mini) then you do use one.

Am I an elitist, you bet. Just because some one can't afford what I can, doesn't mean that they have the right to ruin what I can afford, but cheapening it's value!

I'm glad to hear that you're in college, but please try to work on both your grammer and spelling (and don't give me any lame ass excuses either!).

Whatever!

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
whatever said:
Basically, there would be nothing worst than seeing someone running Mac OS X on a non-optimized Mac.

If you can't afford a Mac (come on now, you're telling me that you couldn't have given up Starbucks for a month and save an additional $100.00 and get a Mac Mini) then you do use one.

Am I an elitist, you bet. Just because some one can't afford what I can, doesn't mean that they have the right to ruin what I can afford, but cheapening it's value!

I'm glad to hear that you're in college, but please try to work on both your grammer and spelling (and don't give me any lame ass excuses either!).

Whatever!

For the record, it's "grammar," not "grammer." Maybe you should be the one working on your spelling.

LMAO!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.