Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
It never ceises to amaze me what people here know.

The Panther song being eple and the location of the set-up video?

Amazing stuff.

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I am not going to discredit it because it is on this guy's website... he only spliced video together, nothing too hard. Heck, I found the file in about 30 seconds, when someone else posted the link:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SetupAssistant.framework/Versions/A/Resources/intro.mov
Just because he had that old one, doesn't mean he made it from scratch...
I don't know if it is legit, but I want to think it is!

Matthew

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
Further info to backup the authenticity of the welcome movie
The X at the end of the movie coincides with the font Apple is using for tiger, available on the website. As opposed to the old font Apple was using for Panther.

Attachments

• pantherbox_20040701.jpg
    pantherbox_20040701.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 3,804
  • indextourtopfpo.jpg
    indextourtopfpo.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 300
  • welcompic.jpg
    welcompic.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 655

sickracer2015

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
Macrumors said:
It appears one user posted the intro video for Apple's Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

The welcome video typically appears one first boot after installation of Mac OS X.

The new video shows a spotlight moving across a blue Mac OS X desktop background displaying the word "Welcome" in several different languages.

The video appears to blank-out half-way through, but may simple be the point in which Apple displays registration information dialogs.

This guy is a real fool.. Not only did he post the intro movie to tiger, but he did it on his on .mac account.. Apple legal has been on everyones ass that has done anything with tiger.. and to use his on .mac account is as dumb as you can get since apple only has all his information..
i expect apple legal to get on his ass as well

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Gump said:
Enjoy the rush while it lasts....as soon as Microsoft actually puts effort into it's OS program again (namely, Longhorn) the way they did in the mid-90's, Apple will go back into the hole.

Here come the flames and the magic release date arguments.... :rolleyes:
Longhorn is not the name that will be used when it shippes. It's gonna be "eXPdition"

Great for a CounterStrike nick in the late 90's, but 2006.. haha :D

Thataboy said:
I am sure it is on iTunes.

Eple, on Melody A.M., by Royksopp

really? It's not the album version, then, i don't think. Or maybe it's just me.

Well, without any action from apple legal yet, I'd bet it's a fake. And april fools day. it was a pretty good one, though, but I'd like a little more from apple. Then again, maybe it just needs to be fullscreen and full resolution to fully impress.

Also, don't know-would apple make this video in that aspect ratio, or in widescreen? so many apple's have wide screen displays, but then again, maybe it's designed to look nice on anybody's, and this guy's got an ibook or something.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
xsnightclub said:
The X at the end of the movie coincides with the font Apple is using for tiger, available on the website. As opposed to the old font Apple was using for Panther.
What are the names of those fonts?

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
I dont know if the vid legit or what...but any motion graphics artist worth a pile of **** could put together this video in a matter of hours. Nice concept, but nothing groundbreaking.

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
No Updates

It's past 12:30am PST...No updates...everyone go to sleep...no updates for 2 weeks...when the 19" iBook G5 dual 2.5 is introduced along with speedbump to 1.88 G4 for the powerbook line.

April 1 "fool"

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
faustfire said:
I dont know if the vid legit or what...but any motion graphics artist worth a pile of **** could put together this video in a matter of hours. Nice concept, but nothing groundbreaking.
I'm going to have to disagree a little with this claim. If you are an artist, let's talk. Initially, it does seem pretty basic. I can't evaluate the lighting/shadowing at this poor resolution, but I'd hope it's more than a quick hack job (and it seems to be accurate/professional).

Even very simple icons for in-house applications have been known to take several hours, and you'd never know because the end product is just, say, a check mark with a halo around it. "Anyone could do that in 30 seconds."

A good artist, like any other professional, makes everything look effortless and easy, like the work took form in a moment. A good application, like iMovie, makes it look like you're an artist, so you can do in a few minutes what real professionals meticulously create over hours or days.

mark6051

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
Australia
and

its gone :(

At least now we know...
a) Guy is a dumbass for using his own account
b) Apple gave it the thumbs up - its the real deal

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I can post unequivocally that this is the real thing. Having watched it about 8 times (once with each beta).

zzen

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2004
Panther vid was better

I actually liked the Panther video better. I think, no matter how professionally this was done, it looks quite simple and underwhelming. Welcome movies should just blow you away...

parad0x

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
k28 said:
I think when Longhorn come out, Mac OS X will gose 10.5 (cannot think about name of another kine of tiger here) which will be more advance than tiger and maybe longhorn.

But for now Tiger vs XP, everyone know who win.

Cougar, Lynx, Cheetah?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
parad0x said:
Cougar, Lynx, Cheetah?

'Fraid Cheetah's been done already. But there are plenty of other big cats. Panther, Cougar, and Puma all refer to the same animal and so it's not likely they'll be used (because of Panther and Puma already being used).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.