Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to the most recent seed notes at HMBT.org, Apple may be trying to wrap up development of Mac OS X 10.5.6.

The latest Mac OS X 10.5.6 seed (9G38) provided to developers today lists no remaining issues. It's always difficult to predict when Apple plans on delivering the final version to end users, but having no known issues is usually considered a sign of pending release. The previous seed was published just earlier this week.

Again, Apple appears to be focusing on MobileMe sync testing for portable computers. In addition 98 other bug fixes are detailed within the published seed notes. Apple released the last update to Mac OS X 10.5 in September.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.5.6 Development Wrapping Up?

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Leopard point releases have included many developer builds being released with "no known issues" listed.

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
I don't think there's ever been a OS X update that doesn't include syncing (.mac and now MobileMe) as an area of change.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I bet they change the light bulb in system preferences to be fluorescent. That should make my battery life increase, right?

mackiwi

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
damn it! I thought that said 10.6.

had my hopes high for a MWSF 09 release for a moment there.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
The Mail app has been buggy since 10.5.0 on and they still dare listed previous point 10.5 releases as having no known issues. Therefore, that the current upcoming one lists no known issues does not mean that there still aren't any glaring ones remain. One can only hope that this time is the time...

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
The Mail app has been buggy since 10.5.0 on and they still dare listed previous point 10.5 releases as having no known issues. Therefore, that the current upcoming one lists no known issues does not mean that there still aren't any glaring ones remain. One can only hope that this time is the time...

I agree. I just had to trash everything in my mail folder in the library to get the app to work again. Kept giving me the color wheel.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
final cut isn't friends with leopard either... it never seems to hide when i tell it to

also I hope they fix the issue of switching to an app and the menubar not switching with it

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
FIX MOBILE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is THE worst Apple product/service EVER and I cannot use it at all because it is so slow and buggy. The entire thing was rushed and sloppy and after having .Mac for 3 years, I have no clue why they switched to Mobile Me in the first place. Before Apple works out the nuances of the service, they should make it ACTUALLY WORK!!!! Truly disappointed Apple, even with the however many months of free service I got; they are worth nothing if the thing doesn't work. :mad:

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
FIX MOBILE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is THE worst Apple product/service EVER and I cannot use it at all because it is so slow and buggy. The entire thing was rushed and sloppy and after having .Mac for 3 years, I have no clue why they switched to Mobile Me in the first place. Before Apple works out the nuances of the service, they should make it ACTUALLY WORK!!!! Truly disappointed Apple, even with the however many months of free service I got; they are worth nothing if the thing doesn't work. :mad:

It works fine for me, no issues at all on my 3 Macs, iPhone and iPod touch.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I won't hold my breath for fixing the performance with the wallpaper switcher.

I was having all kinds of graphics problems - then I switched off the wallpaper switcher and things are much better. I had no idea it was drawing so many resources.

final cut isn't friends with leopard either... it never seems to hide when i tell it to

There are lots of things with Final Cut that don't work well with leopard. I have a lot of issues with spaces and Final Cut for example.

cspec

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
When they mean wrap up... Does that mean this will be the final update that Apple will do to Leopard before they move on to Snow Leopard?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Hopefully there are some nice graphics driver improvements in 10.5.6 as hinted at in the recent Torque Game Engine Advanced for Mac Beta system requirements:

http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/985/15671

OS X 10.5.5 (we highly recommend updating to 10.5.6 when it comes out...it fixes some serious driver bugs)
Hopefully these bug fixes translate into performance gains.

http://developer.apple.com/graphicsimaging/opengl/capabilities/

And even though Apple's gone to nVidia IGPs, they could continue supporting Intel IGPs by releasing drivers with full capabilities. Intel IGP support and performance is already poor, but Apple seems to limit them further by only developing drivers up to OpenGL 1.2 for both the GMA 950 and GMA X3100 even though the 950 supports OpenGL 1.4 in hardware and the X3100 has full hardware support for OpenGL 1.5.

When they mean wrap up... Does that mean this will be the final update that Apple will do to Leopard before they move on to Snow Leopard?
I think they mean wrap up 10.5.6 itself. Snow Leopard isn't expected until mid-2009, which means if 10.5.6 being released before the year is out there is still time for at least 1 more update before Snow Leopard. Previously, Apple stopped releasing point updates of old OSs once a new version comes out but for Tiger, 10.4.11 was released after Leopard came out and brought Safari 3 over from Leopard. It seems very likely that Apple will have at least one more update to Leopard after Snow Leopard to ensure compatibility, mainly with Snow Leopard Server. I'm betting Leopard will eventually hit at least 10.5.8, and if Snow Leopard really is Intel only, then Apple may support Leopard for longer to help out the PPC crowd.

On another note, with 10.5.6 imminent, I guess iPhone 2.2 is coming soon too since the MobileMe features are probably tied together. And I guess a new version of iTunes to complement things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.