Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
It has been two weeks since various media outlets reported that the release was imminent, with not a single word since. Either there was a major problem discovered with the release or these guys have no idea what they're talking about.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
"Windows XP - only the 1/4th of the OS you were promised"
"Windows XP SP1 - only the 1/3rd of the OS you were promised"
(...)
"Windows XP SP3 - the OS you were promised. Now move on to Vista, the 1/4th of the OS we promise today!"

Wanna trade the Mac Pro for a 500DP? I pay the shipping.

Sorry, the wife would kill me, she uses the Mac Pro more than me at the minute. If you buy her a MacbookPro you might get a deal out of her.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Sorry, the wife would kill me, she uses the Mac Pro more than me at the minute. If you buy her a MacbookPro you might get a deal out of her.
I would have to buy an MBP for my wife, first. She'd kill me if I had the very same Mac Pro she has :)

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
This is pretty accurate. The speed and stability should have been in Leopard from the beginning. The fact that they are using 'Leopard' in the name again tells us something. Even Apple aren't bothering to hide the fact that they are just screwing us over.

Now this is something anyone with a brain in Redmond should really have picked up on.

Leopard only half the OS you were promised, etc etc.

I personally haven't had any problems with Leopard. Granted my 500MHz G4DP with 1GBSDRAM is faster at CS3 than my Dual-Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro with 10GB RAM is a pain in the ass.
Why were people expecting Leopard to be perfect on arrival? Every Mac OS release from 1984 onward has had at least one or two minor point revisions to fix bugs and glitches. There is no perfect operating system, and there never will be. Apple releases point updates, Microsoft releases service packs.

danskimanuk

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2004
Gmax3100

They may be upto OpenGl 2.0 ready, but I dont know about anyone else
but 10.5.5 crashes every time I run an OpenGL test on it.

My 3D Software Modo 302/301 has been rendered useless by this build!

thanks apple..nice work!

DYP

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
What has happened to 10.5.6

No mention of 10.5.6 since November 18th. Nothing even shows up when searching this site.

We need the printing fixes that are supposed to be in 10.5.6.

DYP

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008

DYP

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
Using printers and programs that don't have that problem, obviously.

Wouldn't that be an issue with InDesign?

It may be but Apple's printing process is where this is being introduced. Granted Indesign CS3 & 4 are able to pass the rasterization off to the OS where the problem happens. Yes you can choose print as bitmap in ID but that is not real practical with large banners. Luckily some Canon printer drivers have a selection called Fast Graphic Process that bypasses Apple's print processes and does not introduce the monitor profile into the print flow. But not everyone is using these Canon printer.

Also Canon has a plugin for printing from PS. So the issues with being forced to ColorSync when printing through the drivers can be avoided. But again many other printers have to print through their driver.

Adobe blames Apple and the Printer/drivers, Apple blames Adobe and the Printer/drivers, Printer/drivers blame Apple and Adobe and nothing ever get fixed and every-bodies update breaks something else. And, I can go on and on about what application version, OS version, printer driver version works and does not work or what workarounds to try.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Adobe blames Apple and the Printer/drivers, Apple blames Adobe and the Printer/drivers, Printer/drivers blame Apple and Adobe and nothing ever get fixed and every-bodies update breaks something else. And, I can go on and on about what application version, OS version, printer driver version works and does not work or what workarounds to try.

Sounds like Windows!

Personally, I am waiting for 10.5.6 to fix the problem with Radeon X1900 cards on the G5s. Video plays green & pink! Only known fix is to use 10.5.4 or remove the X1900 card and use an alternate.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
The end of another week and not a word more about 10.5.6. I wonder what is going on.

Agreed; I'm waiting on 10.5.6 to be released before I can create an image for deployment on new machines - it'll need to support both the white Macbook along with the new unibody.

I hope there is a very valid reason there is a delay besides just being lazy on Apple's part; some of us actually rely on the updates coming out in a timely manner when in a larger organisation.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I hope there is a very valid reason there is a delay besides just being lazy on Apple's part; some of us actually rely on the updates coming out in a timely manner when in a larger organisation.

One good thing about Microsoft - they release updates/fixes weekly (every Tuesday or something like that). Ideal for IT people to manage a lot of computers if it is the same day every week/month.

billakay

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Green and Pink Video

I have the same problem, I just got a dual-core 2.3 G5 as an eBay special (bad power supply), and was lucky enough to have Apple fix it for free under the extended service thing.

A few upgrades later, now it has an ATI X1900, 8GB RAM, and 2x500GB Seagate 7200.11 SATA HDs in RAID 0...but it won't play DVDs (on the Apple DVD Player) without the green :p

Bill

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
One good thing about Microsoft - they release updates/fixes weekly (every Tuesday or something like that). Ideal for IT people to manage a lot of computers if it is the same day every week/month.

That is about the only good side of Windows. We're looking at bringing in PC laptops - but not running Windows (buggered if I'm going to up my work load just so bobby jane can run her favourite widget); Novell SLED is looking good, although, OpenSolaris 2009.4 hopefully will include Phase 1 of NWAM which will make navigating the organisations wireless network alot easier for end users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.