Mac OS X 10.7 Discussion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applefan69, Jun 8, 2008.

1. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Alright, now before you all say "wth... OS X 10.6 is just hardly being whispered about why are you worried about 10.7". My answer to that is:
    OS X 10.6 is sounding like it'll be a simple upgrade to make OS X faster more efficient, and just perfect every detail. (which sounds great, because as great as OS X is... it needs a little fine-tuning). But furthermore I think 10.6 is a preparation for 10.7. With windows 7 coming out, apple is gonna need multi-touch in their OS soon otherwise everyones gonna think apple is copying microsoft... because thats just the way things are. >.> So baically I think 10.6 will be simple fine-tuning so that when 10.7 comes along everything will already be smooth like butter.

What I really wanted to get at in this topic is, lets assume 10.7 will have multi-touch, (not the simple stuff that we got right now with just a track pad) how will apple do it? Biggest issue I see for both microsoft and Apple is

How will they convince everyone to go out and buy a new computer?

We can already tell microsofts way of doing it, is actually not very thought out, they plan on just getting producers to make laptops, and desktops and such that support multi-touch. Honestly thats ridiculously dumb and should have been thought out better. It'll work in the end, but at the start market penetration will be slow.

Way I think apple SHOULD do this, is alot more simple and easier all around. They simply release OS X 10.7 with multi-touch support (plus optional mouse/keyboard support), and then with that they release a peripheral that plugs into the USB drive, this peripheral would basically just be a large multi-touch track pad. This way it'd work in any mac, just simply plug it in, and install OS X 10.7 and bamn magically that mac supports multi-touch now. Even PowerPC macs could do it.

Then in the future, new macbooks, instead of a keyboard just have a giant track pad...

Now i know your thinking... "a giant track pad sounds boring" I agree, but what if it had a screen? Maybe it wont/maybe it will it depends on whihc way apple wants to go.

Well im just saying what im thinking, how do you expect apple to do this?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if 10.7 has multitouch built in os, it wont be primary input

think about it, it would be really annoying (to me at least)

with that said i believe keyboards and mice will still be primary with multitouch being an option for some things but not required to use the os aka an alternative input

3. applefan69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Another reason, I think apple would be MUCH wiser to just sell a multi-touch peripheral, and have say OS X 10.7 fully support it.

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha applefan69,

Will PPC Macs even be supported under Mac OS 10.7? A lot of G4 Macs can't officially run Leopard - even more, perhaps even into the G4 realm, won't be able to run Snow Leopard (if Apple continues with the same strategy) - so by the time 10.7 (Lion, anyone?) comes out, it's anyone's guess as to which, if any, G5 Macs will even be supported.

Personally, I could see an enlarged trackpad, somewhat like an ultraslim version of an iPhone, that could change its icons/controls depending on the active app. It could even have a slot for a stylus, so that if the user opened Photoshop they could still use their primary monitor, but "draw" on this device. Of course, it would have the same type of keyboard as that of the iPhone, so typing would probably have a bit of a break-in time for the user. We'll just have to wait and see on that one.

HawaiiMacAddict

5. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

6. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha BlakTornado,

That's precisely what I envisioned - and did you notice the Command (Apple) key in the typing mode picture? hehehe :D

HawaiiMacAddict

7. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I don't get the people who believe the ridiculous rumor that 10.6 won't feature any significant upgrades because Apple is focusing on stability and whatnot.

It doesn't take an MBA to realize that this goes against the most basic of marketing principles.

Unless 10.6 turns out to be free, the "no new features" rumor is pure bollocks.

8. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

[​IMG]

I also see this as the inevitable evolution of user input...in the short term (2 to 4 years). I think tactile feedback is another area of this technology that requires and will undergo much needed evolution. This technology improves the versatility of our input devices themselves, but does not drastically change our method of input.

I think beyond this, (5 to 10 years), video sensors will play an important role. With built-in cameras in displays being able to track head movement, the next step, after perfecting the head tracking, would be recognizing other appendages, i.e. hands and fingers.

This will not replace, but compliment our current user input. Imaging "grabbing" the air towards a window or icon on your desktop and dragging it around, à la Tony Stark.

10.7? Maybe not that soon, but I could see this happening by 10.9 or 10.10.

9. ckurowic macrumors regular

ckurowic

Without tactile feedback this thing is useless. Can you imagine how hard it would be to type on that thing without having raised/separated keys? Yeah yeah, I know, the iPhone doesn't have tactile feedback either, but you can't exactly type 120 WPM on it either.

10. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I think that the obvious way to do this is to do what the fingerworks people did when they invented all this stuff and make a multi-touch trackpad that can be used instead of a mouse. I am actually hoping that Apple will announce this product tomorrow actually. They already have it on the MacBook Air, it would be childsplay to produce one without the laptop and sell it as a mouse replacement.

If you think about it also, the iMac glass screen is very similar to the iPhone screen, they could simply add a capacitive touch screen to the back of the glass, say when 10.6 comes out and then by the time 10.7 arrives, half the world has the hardware already.

11. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

If it incorporates this level of feature upgrade and change I think we would be looking at OS XI (11.0).

12. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

wow I want that cool keyboard!! too bad it's a concept only!

13. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Yes, it would be easy to make a trackpad an external USB peripheral, but when using a desktop, I'd much rather use a mouse than a trackpad. That's why I'm still hoping for the Mighty Mouse Touch.

[​IMG]

Yes, but those smudges...a 3" screen in your pocket is a lot easier to wipe clean than a 20" screen. Not to say that it won't happen, but this is one reason I'd push for video sensors and motion tracking.

14. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

I believe I read somewhere that Apple had filed a patent for a keyboard much like that image posted above, so....

15. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

So you basically think 10.6 will be 10.5's 10.1, so to speak.

Could be.

But that wouldn't ease the transition for 10.7.. whenever apple seems to create new "features," they translate into incompatibility. In the old days, most software that could run on OS 9 could probably run on OS 8.5, and possibly 8.1 and even System 7. Now it seems every new upgrade makes things incompatible... I'm not going to pretend to know how that works, because I don't, but it certainly is irritating.

Looking at Windows, they only just dropped support for Win95, and there are still apps being written which run just fine on Win95, now well over ten years old, versus OS 9 which got dropped like a bad habit after 10.1 was introduced; you'd be hard-pressed to find anything new that runs on Mac OS 10.2.8; Leopard was a major step, too. Same with Panther... most new apps require 10.4 or later, and Panther was released with even more fanfare than before.

Anyway, my point is cleaning up 10.6 won't help as much as one might wish with 10.7

16. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't want to hijack the thread, and just for reference, I agree completely that you couldn't use that at all without some sort of physical response, but...I just wanted to point out that I can type atleast that fast on my iPod touch.

Edit: That's on horizontal typing mode..on vertical, I'm a bit slower.

17. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Agreed on both counts.

I was merely trying to come up with physical ways (methods of manufacture and product design), in which it *might* come about as per the OP's question.

Still love the idea of something that looks like a mousepad in general form factor but operates like a multi-touch pad.

18. vandlism macrumors 6502

To paraphrase
    What we saw at WWDC was Apple's initiative to make iPhone OS X a platform of its own, separate from Mac OS X. What you have described is virtually where Apple is going with the iPhone. At the moment, there is no use for touch capabilities in Mac OS X other than to make it more like Minority Report. Our computers deal with small buttons, controls, widgets, blah. The Mac OS X desktop OS will continue to be refreshed, added features and more multi-touch support I am sure. However, the true future of a multi-touch platform lies in iPhone OS X.

19. pad07 macrumors regular

Mac OS X 10.7 Discussion

I think OS X 10.7 will be released soon and be called Cougar. I actually think it will be released at the same time as the Mac tablet, which will probably be announced at WWDC 2010 next July.

It's likely 10.7 and the tablet will be announced at WWDC and released a month or two later.

My list of hopes for this OS are:
    • Full support for running on the new Tablet.
    • Fully 64bit, completing the transition
    • New Marble interface, replacing the Aqua look. Resolution independent and touch-screen friendly. Possibly a new native font to replace Lucida Grande, a dark menu bar, dark chrome windows and darker, flattened blue, black and white elements. Refreshed Application and other icons systemwide. Context menus take on the white-on-black look of the Snow Leopard dock systemwide.
    • Major updates to the bundled apps. Mail, iCal, Address Book etc to receive big visual and feature overhauls, while a new dedicated RSS app is added to lineup.
    • New-look Dock, featuring badge notifications even when app is closed (i.e. Mail, iCal etc), application groupings, optional thumbnail views.
    • New Spaces, with each space being nameable and each space having its own desktop background if wanted by the user. Automatic association detection
    • Vastly improved Finder with new tools for file-managing and organisation, folder encryption and protection
    • Ability to run iPhone apps?
    • App Store for OS X? Easy and clean install, uninstall of Apps.
    • More MobileMe features, such as automatic backing up to iDisk?
    After the under-the-hood enhancements of Snow Leopard, I think the next major end-user evolution of OS X will come with 10.7. It'll cost the full $129 again, methinks.

I'm hoping Cougar and iLife '10 will revolutionise the experience for consumers.

What are your hopes and expectations for the next version of OS X?

20. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

One thing that I do hope for from that list is the automatic syncing to the iDisk. I know I can run an Applescript but would love it that much more if I could designate just a file to be automatically saved to my desktop and to my iDisk when I edit it.

However, I disagree with your quick timeline.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My thoughts is that we have one of these threads ever week now. I like the idea of 10.7 Lion.

22. amoda macrumors 6502a

I like the list, especially individual folder encryption, but disagree with the July release.

23. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I dont think we will see 10.7 for 2 years, and i bet your right on everything else, and i bet the whole OS GUI will be new, not necessarily the marble stuff, but aqua will go in the trash can that im sure of.

24. TIGOS macrumors regular

TIGOS

- Apple Store App for OSX, apple store in iTunes its an big ****.
    - Trash erase without confirmation option.
    - Mail auto redirection junk emails to specified folder. Like GMail Spams.
    - iCal special dates... Chrismas and others. Change when change country.
    - Safari close tabs with third mouse button.

25. Xavier macrumors 68020