Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I really wish 10.7 would allow me to switch from the 9400M to the 9600GT without having to log out.

That's wishing too low. It should use both at the same time when you are in high-performance (or plugged in) mode, and jump to the 9400M on battery power (configurable, of course).

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
I want the resolution independent GUI we have been hearing rumours about since Tiger (or was it Panther?).

I also want it less centred on the anglophone world. I would like a built in Swedish dictionary and a Swedish speech synthesis. The new iPod shuffle has it so why can't Mac OS X include it as well? Sure, "Alex" has a funny American accent, but i want it to be usable, not fun.

NTFS support. It is so common that it is a big minus not to have built in support.

Built in support for MSN. Nobody uses AOL/AIM here in Europe, except us Mac users.

applelover13

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
i agree with every thing accept changes in bold and my opinions of it are in bold too.

I think OS X 10.7 will be released soon and be called Cougar (lion). I actually think it will be released at the same time as the Mac tablet, which will probably be announced at WWDC 2010late 2010, early 2011 next July.

It's likely 10.7 and the tablet will be announced at WWDC and released a month or two later.

My list of hopes for this OS are:
  • Full support for running on the new Tablet.(possibly)
  • Fully 64bit, completing the transition( possibly )
  • New Marble interface, replacing the Aqua look. Resolution independent and touch-screen friendly. Possibly a new native font to replace Lucida Grande, a dark menu bar, dark chrome windows and darker, flattened blue, black and white elements. Refreshed Application and other icons systemwide. Context menus take on the white-on-black look of the Snow Leopard dock systemwide.(sure)
  • Major updates to the bundled apps. Mail, iCal, Address Book etc to receive big visual and feature overhauls, while a new dedicated RSS app is added to lineup.( possibly )
  • New-look Dock, featuring badge notifications even when app is closed (i.e. Mail, iCal etc), application groupings, optional thumbnail views.( possibly )
  • New Spaces, with each space being nameable and each space having its own desktop background if wanted by the user. Automatic association detection( possibly )
  • Vastly improved Finder with new tools for file-managing and organisation, folder encryption and protection( sure )
  • Ability to run iPhone apps?(doubt it)
  • App Store for OS X? Easy and clean install, uninstall of Apps.( doubt it )
  • More MobileMe features, such as automatic backing up to iDisk?( sure )
After the under-the-hood enhancements of Snow Leopard, I think the next major end-user evolution of OS X will come with 10.7. It'll cost the full $129 again, i think.(yes)

I'm hoping Cougar (lion) and iLife '10 will revolutionise the experience for consumers.

What are your hopes and expectations for the next version of OS X?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The idea of an App Store for OS X would drive me insane. Are you suggesting Apple review every piece of software that their users should have access to? Incredibly lame, heck, even I would consider moving to Windows 7 if that happened. And this 64 bit thing, who cares? The implementation in 10.6 is perfectly fine.

10.7 will likely have further internet/cloud technologies built-in. Something ground breaking.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I think the OP is right. I'll supplement:

- Font to replace Lucide Grande: Helvetica Neue. iPhone and other things already use it extensively.
- Running iPhone apps on OS X: No.
- Agree on the dark look. I've long suspected that the hints we've been given (dark dock menus, expose, inspector panels, the icon view in iTunes and the coverflow views in iApps are a "preview" of Marble.
- Going with the last 2 OS's, we'll see a preview of 10.7 at WWDC 2010, with a release in August/September 2011.
- Fully 64-bit: Yes. Apple will dump Rosetta and likely, Core Duo support from the OS.
- As for the OS X App Store: It's coming for sure, I don't see why it wouldn't. I don't see apple closing the platform like the iPhone is, I see it more as a Software Update on steroids. Apple would open it up to third-party devs, and when it runs it'd let you update all of your apps. In addition, you could buy software through it. Instead of going to the store to get 10.7, you get it via SU.

They'd integrate the OS X software page on Apple into it so you could browse for software through the same window.

Just my 2¢.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
My guess is that 10.7 will have Developer Preview at WWDC 2010 (obviously) BUT I wouldn't be surprised if they held some sort of March event and distributed it then. I'm hoping Apple begins talking about before WWDC though.

Also, my guess for release between January and February 2011. However, if the Developer Preview is at WWDC or later, Late Spring 2011.

As mentioned, obvious features will be new UI (continuing with the way 10.6 Dock menus look), further Quick Look integration, upgraded native apps and at least a couple of apps that will blow my mind (like most OS X releases have had, e.g. Expose, Dashboard, Time Machine).

Hopefully the revolutionary Apple won't disappoint with the new apps/features (they haven't yet) but their thunder will have stop at some time.

AS FOR FACIAL RECOGNITION: For the poster you said that, did you ever consider people with Macs who are hooked up to external Macs without webcams OR if they are in a dark room (iSight won't detect a face with little/no lighting). It's a decent concept but more like a feature just for bragging rights.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
core location

How about some more uses of core location in the OS? A "find my mac" feature just like the "find my iphone" feature of MobileMe. That would be handy for laptops. (Undercover offers something like this now with their Snow Leopard update.)

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
How about some more uses of core location in the OS? A "find my mac" feature just like the "find my iphone" feature of MobileMe. That would be handy for laptops. (Undercover offers something like this now with their Snow Leopard update.)

beat me to it

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
According to Ars, Apple has switched from yearly to 18+ month release schedule for the MacOS. So 18 months from now would be March 2011 but most likely it will be demonstrated at WWDC 2011 and released in the fall.

WWDC 2010 will not focus at all on 10.7 but mainly focused on the iPhone OS 4.0. The reasoning is that I believe 10.7 will be the eventual front end overhaul to 10.6, and we all know that Apple does not like to preview that kind of work early, especially if it is a year ahead of the release. What Apple may do at WWDC 2010 is announce the name of 10.7 and state that they are working hard on it and on track for a release in 2011, nothing more.

My expectations for 10.7:

1) A new look. The blue aqua look will be gone but the overall look will be refreshed, not a brand new theme. My guess is the iLeopard theme but with a bit darker, more HUD look.

2) More subtle animations, transitions between applications, and overhaul as well as integration of the Dashboard, Expose, Dock Expose and Stacks (possibly a 3D desktop type of interaction).

3) Complete transition to 64bit. While further updates of Snow Leopard will bring more updates for kexts, models and so on, in 10.7 it will finally default to 64bit kernel for all supported Macs. There’s a possibility of dropping 32bit support but highly unlikely. That’ll be reserved for either 10.8 or 10.9.

4) Quicktime XI will be extended to include support for more codecs, plugins, video editing toolkit, removing the need for QT 7 Pro.

5) Possible inclusion of an advanced malware detection suite with automatic signature download in the background.

6) More sync support with other cloud service providers (think Facebook, Google, and whatever shows up in the next two years) including more features and integration for MobileMe.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

Tie network locations to core location. Allow location-specific settings. (e.g.: when I am at work, automatically mute my volume. ) location-specific time machine - when I am home, backup to one disk, and when I am at work, another. location-specific network drive mounting.

location-specific dock (with different sets of icons).

pad07

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2007
I still think we will see 10.7 sooner than 18 months. Much sooner.

It's widely known the Marble UI has been in the works for a long time, and obviously they are saving it. I have come to the conclusion they are saving it for the tablet, and that 10.7 with tablet support will be released alongside the tablet.

10.7 will, as people have said, be the under-the-hood refinements of 10.6 with a fresh new look and some new features.

I expect Apple to announce 10.7 at some point in the near future and for it to arrive alongside the Apple tablet in Q1/2 2010, not long at all after Snow Leopard, but justified given the $29 price tag for Snow Leopard.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I still think we will see 10.7 sooner than 18 months. Much sooner.

It's widely known the Marble UI has been in the works for a long time, and obviously they are saving it. I have come to the conclusion they are saving it for the tablet, and that 10.7 with tablet support will be released alongside the tablet.

10.7 will, as people have said, be the under-the-hood refinements of 10.6 with a fresh new look and some new features.

I expect Apple to announce 10.7 at some point in the near future and for it to arrive alongside the Apple tablet in Q1/2 2010, not long at all after Snow Leopard, but justified given the $29 price tag for Snow Leopard.

10.7 will NOT arrive in either Q1/Q2 2010, period, there is nothing you can say that makes sense for Apple to release another brand new OS within 6-8 months. Tablet does not require 10.7, it can run a slimmed down customized version of 10.6 just like the iPhone OS.

Marble GUI in development is widely known? It is a rumor that has no evidence of any kind, nothing more. There is no such thing as Marble. People made it completely up based on some minor GUI tweaking that Apple was doing for the past several years.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
10.7 will NOT arrive in either Q1/Q2 2010, period, there is nothing you can say that makes sense for Apple to release another brand new OS within 6-8 months.

I think we'll see 10.7 in exactly 18 months. Not more, and certainly not less.

Didn't Apple once say that they moved away from 12-month Dev cycles, anyway?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I think we'll see 10.7 in exactly 18 months. Not more, and certainly not less.

Yes they did after either Tiger or Leopard. Leopard and SL arrived more than 12 months from previous release.

Panther: October 24, 2003
Tiger: April 29, 2005
Leopard: October 26, 2007
Snow Leopard: August 28, 2009

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
10.7 will NOT arrive in either Q1/Q2 2010, period, there is nothing you can say that makes sense for Apple to release another brand new OS within 6-8 months. Tablet does not require 10.7, it can run a slimmed down customized version of 10.6 just like the iPhone OS.

Marble GUI in development is widely known? It is a rumor that has no evidence of any kind, nothing more. There is no such thing as Marble. People made it completely up based on some minor GUI tweaking that Apple was doing for the past several years.

While I do feel that a UI refresh is inevitable with 10.7, I do have to sorta agree here. Remember before 10.5 launched, there were rumors of an "Illuminous" UI to replace Aqua.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
While I do feel that a UI refresh is inevitable with 10.7, I do have to sorta agree here. Remember before 10.5 launched, there were rumors of an "Illuminous" UI to replace Aqua.

I do expect a less saturated, darker UI. The iphone is mostly grays, and Apple's pro apps go that way. Plus the changes they did make to the stacks/dock. Wouldn't surprise me to see a flatter, more neutral look. Probably less chrome, and a UI that better fades out of the way when you are working. Maybe have UI elements go away when you are in another window (quicktime x'ish), etc.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
The current edition of iPhoto has built in facial recognition and it does work. Most all Macs, except the Mini, have a webcam (iSight) built in. Why not, as an option, let your face be your password. Turn on the notebook or desktop and it "sees" you so no more passwords to forget or, if you have the money, fingers to swipe. Just seeing you could open the Mac up. Members of the family or co-workers if you want it to, could be on the approved list. Voice recognition is also an option and for high security, even, retinal scans (probably with a souped up version of iSight.)

Down with "logon" prompts.
:rolleyes:

I think this would be really cool, that would definitely be an awesome feature.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
what if they just dropped the cat name is just went with something like.. "Mac OS X The original Revolutionized" or something along those lines!

Im just ready for 10.7 with a new UI and some WOW features and iPhone OS 4.0 with a new UI and some more WOW features. (Apple has a lot of UI updates to do)

And while im on it they need to create an Apple Store iPhone application (like for the online store)

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I did not make this but here is a chart on when the other os X's were released and announced.
attachment.php

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009

I'll fear the day they announce they're moving away from 60-month dev cycles. :D

Lately, they've been doing about 2-2.5 year dev cycles, so... perhaps 10.7 <insert some cool big cat name here> could be out by around mid-2011 or so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.