Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gmonster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Hello,

I have a separate SSD in one of my drive bays which has Windows 10 installed and working on it. I followed this post to install. This was installed form a fresh windows 10 ISO via DVD.

Everything seems to work fine - internet, keyboard, mouse, bluetooth connects, etc. I used brigadier and followed these instructions (as laid out by the very helpful h9826790, but later realized this is not fully supported as of the latest 2020 Windows 10.

Problem:
I have no audio in Windows 10.

I have tried connecting a bluetooth headset - it connects but I get no audio out, and in windows audio settings it shows no mic signal when I speak. I do see in audio settings in windows that audio is being put out (play youtube video can see audio output signal moving around ont he bar to show that it looks like it's trying to push audio out somewhere.

Exact same issue when using a wired headset - I have tried multiple different headsets and believe the issue is with my drivers/windows 10 install.

My opencore catalina and my regular Mojave drives work fine for audio in and out, this problem is unique to my windows 10 drive. All OSes are installed on their own separate SATA SSDs. I do have a separate issue on the machine in general with audio input via my microphone buzzing at random if that helps provide any diagnosis.

Any drivers, tools, or insights as to what I need to do to get audio? I am not fluent in computer jargon, and will use incorrect terminology. Step-by-step guides would be much appreciated. I hope that I have given enough information to make giving help easy.

Hardware:
2010 dual SPU Mac Pro 5,1
Radeon RX 580
Dual Xeon X5680

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: oliverc

wnlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2017
Newton, Kansas
Thank you Gmonster! You made it possible for me to have sound in Windows 10 on my Mac Pro 5,1! 😀

I used the Realtek hd audio 7259 64 bit for Windows 10.

That driver makes it possible to take the course work necessary to learn Creo Parametric, a high end CAD package.

Thank you!

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
*Resolved*

I used this driver and driver utility, audio works perfectly.
I'm late to this, but to anyone interested, I downloaded the "Realtek_High_Definition_Audio_64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R279.exe" and after installing on a macbook5,1 it worked. So not only on the Mac Pro, it also works on a Macbook (with the appropriate driver found at that page, this was not the same driver for the MP).

Thank you Gmonster!

Arhodes

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2023
Three years later, and I put windows 11 on my 2010 Mac Pro. Runs perfectly except sound. Found this post, downloaded the Realtek driver, and it works great. Thanks Gmonster for researching and posting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.