Mac Updates on Tuesday? More in September?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret points to channel reports indicating that Apple may be preparing for "at least one" product announcement this Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, but were unable to specify which models would see updates.

Meanwhile, more confident reports have pointed to iMac updates on September 12th.

Finally, independent but unconfirmed reports claim that the MacBook will receive quiet speed bumps later this month (Sept 25th), but no word on whether or not the Core 2 Duo would be used.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Oh, I'm just getting all confused now.

I want an iMac, but if it's only getting Merom rather than Conroe it's not as appealing, but then it could be 23" which would be sweet, but if a headless mac comes out, I could get my own screen, or would a mac mini be enough for me, and then there's the iPod deal, or should I just go back to my original plan to get a MacBook with an external display, as I don't need the pro featres of the MacBook Pro, or do I?.

My head!!!!

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
It should be cheaper for Apple to go with the faster Conroe cpu, rather than Merom. But I guess using Conroe would require a redesign of the internals.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
If these rumors are true then it looks like September is going to be a busy month for Apple. New iPods, new iMac, new spec's for the MacBook Pro and MacBook and Mac Mini , plus a movie download service and possibly a OSX update! :eek:

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
j26 said:
My head!!!!
Good lord, you're worse than I am. :p

I have my heart set on a new mini, preferably a core duo. But I don't want to spend $799 on one. If they are updated soon, I hope it's not one of those maddening "stealth" updates. :mad:

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
aquajet said:
Good lord, you're worse than I am. :p

I have my heart set on a new mini, preferably a core duo. But I don't want to spend $799 on one. If they are updated soon, I hope it's not one of those maddening "stealth" updates. :mad:
lol, I'm in exactly the same boat...

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
dizastor said:
macbook updates just in time for me to purchase? could it be that perfect?

probably not.
Yeah, since MB's are still fairly new, with the most recent update in the product line, it seems like apple wouldn't give them a bump until later. I even think updating the MB by the end of September is a bit optomistic if we're talking Core 2 Duo.

My hope is that they go ahead and update the MBP with C2D on the 5th, but I'm not sure if that's worthy of an announcement or simply a silent update. I just want a C2D MBP now please, thanks. :) Guess we'll find out on Tuesday, announcement or no.

This news story almost seems like it should be a page one rumor.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
hyperpasta said:
Actually, we won't know for sure about what's new this year til the end of October.
Are you talking simple updates (Core Duo to Core 2 Duo or mac mini?) Or are you talking bigger announcements like a new iPod, nano, iMac? Because I would be seriously surprised if apple didn't update MBP's with C2D in the next two to three weeks as well as update the mac mini's, if they haven't already done so. The others, probably September/October.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
product lines

Okay, I'll post.

Mac Book

Apple either is getting a new chip discount amounting to the equivelant of their entire past profit, or they had a supply agreement "leveling" the cost of Core 1 Duo chips such that they either must continue putting them in MacBooks for a few more months or more, or they must shift use of those chips to increased sales of Mac Minis.

I say a Core 2 Duo upgrade is NOT in the immediate horizon. Too bad too.

On the positive side this clearly differentiates MacBook from Mac Book Pro very soon.

Mac Book Pro "Merom" (Powerbook G6)

MacBook Pro (ala Powerbook) was neglected for so long that the very moment it can get Merom, it will. I say that announcement is GOING to happen in September. Besides it is a straight chip upgrade with no major motherboard mods. It will probably get an error correction Rev. in any case.

Mac-Mini

This is a wildcard. I believe the rumours that they will go to all dual core. The chip price has dropped to the point where single core is silly. Apple has a history of manufacturing crippleware. Are those days over?

As for both the Mac-Mini and the MacBook, the ability of Apple to declare the entire product line BOTH dual core and 64 bit compliant (Core 2 Duo "Merom") is compelling indeed. I say it will happen at WWDC 07.

X-serve and Mac Pro are stable.

iMac

Steve seems to have an afinity for the iMac (interim Mac) perhaps the iCEO will continue with that afinity and upgrade it to Merom just because he can at the same price point or so.

The alternative would be to keep it as is, maybe with insignificant speed bumps and SIGNIFICANTLY increase profit margins in light of decreased chip marginal cost on Core 1 Duo. That's what I would do. Demand is relatively inelastic. Perhaps an "upper end 23 inch + Merom" iMac. It will still be interim.

X-serve Mini and Mac-Midi.

There has been speculation of a Mac-Mini on steroids or with expandability. Good idea but not likely. Apple tends to be an "all-in one product company" good or bad.

The XSM has real market potential especially if they are themselves stackable ala the Mini. They would be headless. They could be marketed to SCHOOLS, executives, programmers, and IT geeks. It would be a great near zero development cost addition to the "pro" line. Also because it would be the "NeXT" of the Apple product line, given a luggable and expandable form factor WITH the SERVER version of the software, it would qualify for one more Steve Job-ism. Insanely Great!! And claims of reality distortion field would be nullified by actual performance and capabilities of the hardware and software. "Touche".

iPod video.

It's time for a screen centric ultra portable processor/storage device. an iPod and a remote control, an internet wireless device (hook your MacBook to it via cheater plug gigabit ethernet), hence a phone of sorts too. All functions in software/firmware and thus this one size fits all device can also be used for POS, Barcodes, Data collection and display in medical and scientific fields, etc. Emphasis on etc.

Make it so.

Many of my comments on chip adoption patterns are based on the fact that Core 1 and 2 Duo will be with us for 2-3 years minumum. Why not stretch the product line and leave one last vestage of Apple crippleware in place, by not upgrading QUITE as fast as possible from Core 1 to 2 in low-end products?

Rocketman

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Wow. Rocketman said a lot....just wish you'd mentioned something along the lines of a media center :(
Even if it was an updated FrontRow that allowed other vendors to insert additional items (e.g. a Live TV via tv tuner option)

Oh well, I keep hoping. :(

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
daneoni said:
Cinema Display updates! woot!
Cinema displays have already been updated. As for a total redesign... not going to happen unless they redesign the Macpro to match. And that's not going to happen until 2007 at the earliest.

dgdosen

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Why is this on Page2?

I mean, the merom MBP's are coming out either this Tuesday or next - why not put this on the official rumor page...

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I'm hoping for the core 2 duo for the MBP's by the end of Sept.

So by Dec or Jan I can have me a new top rated MBP.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Bad - Core Duo - Bad

Intel said, that the Core 2 rollout would be the fastest in its history. Right now, the Mac Pro is the only Mac transition that is truely finished! :confused:

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I think it would be foolish for Apple to not transition their entire product line to 64 bit processors, since they have promised that Leopard would be all 64 bit.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
SC68Cal said:
I think it would be foolish for Apple to not transition their entire product line to 64 bit processors, since they have promised that Leopard would be all 64 bit.
Well, Apple has a good bit of lead time on Leopard to get the 64-bit parts rolling. "Spring 2007" is plenty vague for hardware. I expect the MBP to go 64-bit ASAP. iMacs, minis, and MBs can wait. A price drop accross those three couldn't hurt either. Get the MBs back under $1K and the mini below $500, where they belong. Any students slow on the uptake for the Fall might bite. Plus it gets things going for the push towards Xmas.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Epicurus said:
Well, Apple has a good bit of lead time on Leopard to get the 64-bit parts rolling. "Spring 2007" is plenty vague for hardware. I expect the MBP to go 64-bit ASAP. iMacs, minis, and MBs can wait. A price drop accross those three couldn't hurt either. Get the MBs back under $1K and the mini below $500, where they belong. Any students slow on the uptake for the Fall might bite. Plus it gets things going for the push towards Xmas.
That would be nice, but the price of Core Duo and Core Solo chips has not dropped, according to Intel's current price list, so Apple may as well replace them with Core2 chips, which are either the same price as the Core chips, or in a few cases, less expensive.