Macbook 2015 Battery Capacity degrading fast ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DAMNiatx, Jun 14, 2015.

1. polee, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Somehow the cycles on this MacBook just seem to pile up much faster. Sometimes I seem to have come to a new cycle even before I have used up that cycle. The battery of my old MacBook Air completed a cycle at a slower pace although my pattern of use and connection to the mains has been the same for both units.

2. nikster0029 macrumors 6502a

nikster0029

Doesn't matter. Old technology usually had better types of techniques, but batteries now do not need specific care. Sometimes just draining it all the way down once in a while

3. Queen6, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Yes it`s better to use the system on the battery, especially if it`s pretty much on mains supply constantly. Deep discharging the battery is about the worst you can do to it. Run the battery down to 80% once or twice a month and that will "exercise" the battery and help with longevity.

Q-6

4. BoneHead001, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

So, do you normally recharge when the battery is down to 40% (meaning it is reading 40% remaining power)?

5. Music Lover macrumors member

Why?
    Please explain.

5 cycles and health 99% on my

6. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

I put my Notebooks on charge when I can when I am in the field, which can vary from a couple of hour to a complete working day. At hope I will run them down to 80%-85% once every couple of weeks to keep the electrons moving.

Q-6

7. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

You can gain a lot of how batteries actually work here http://batteryuniversity.com Deep discharging won't kill the battery, however same as high temperatures is does contribute to reducing the capacity overtime. I use my Mac`s on batteries when I need to, if that results in a near full discharge so be it, equally I don't deliberately run the battery down as it only accelerates wear albeit by a minuscule value.

2012 15" rMBP - 122 cycles - 92.5% - 1119 days
    2014 13" rMBP - 49 cycles - 100.4% - 251 days
    2015 15" rMB - 7 cycles - 99.5% - 55 days

We have other portable Mac`s and they all have similar trends, exception being the 2011 15" cMBP as the battery has now dropped below 80% equally my daughters uses it now and she does tend to deep discharge the battery and or leave it plugged in for long periods of time. Once I have the battery changed I will alter the sleep state so the system drops straight to hibernation, not standby for several days.

Q-6

8. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

“On charge” means you have the laptop plugged into the wall socket? Is this OK for the battery?

Is 16 cycles a lot for a month and a half old laptop?

At what percentage is the best to recharge? When it is reading say, 30%?

9. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Yes plugged into the wall, optimally when the batter is reading 80%. much depends on your usage and convenience; it the Notebook is on the desk I just plug it in. 16 cycles is no problem, it`s simply an indication of the systems battery usage. there are a lot of factors that determine the longevity of a battery; charge cycles being just one.

Ultimately the battery is replaceable (by Apple) so I wouldn't overly worry, just use and enjoy your Mac

Q-6

10. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    So a good rule of thumb is when the battery indicator is reading 80% up at the top, you recharge?

11. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

No point to waste battery cycles needlessly, equally if you need to run off the mains power supply don't worry about it

Q-6

12. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

OK, but for future reference, what is a good percentage to recharge?
    I was running the battery down to 15-20% quite often – now I know that running it down to 15-20% should be done only occasionally. So, what is a good percentage recharge?

13. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

When you can, it`s that simple. If you systematically run the battery down to say 20% versus 80% the battery will use far more cycles. What I am saying is avoid deliberately running the battery down, equally if you need too run the system on battery for an extended period of time don't worry about it. If the Notebook is plugged into the mains supply continuously you should "exercise" the battery by running it down once or twice a month by running it down to around 80%

Q-6

14. BoneHead001, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Thanks, Q-6!
    I guess I was confused by some terminology – when I say 80%, I meant 80% power remaining. When you say 80%, you were meaning 80% power used up. So to clarify, you mean the battery will use far more cycles if you recharge at 80% power remaining as per the percentage indicator at the top?

Put another way, is one cycle a battery at 80% power remaining, recharged 5 times at that same 80% power remaining, one cycle?

Are these examples accurate?
    - 10% battery used, charged back to 100% x 10 = 1 cycle
    - 50% battery used, charged back to 100% x 2 = 1 cycle

15. w0rd3r macrumors regular

w0rd3r

Let it pugged for 24+ hours, and won 2% of battery back. Battery.png

16. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

When the battery percentage reads 80% plug it in if you want optimal longevity. A cycle is full discharge to full recharge, so clearly discharging the battery needlessly is going to accelerate wear.

Q-6

17. Queen6, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Personally I would drop all the monitoring as all it`s doing is consuming CPU cycle and using more power, albeit by a small margin.

The value for the battery percentage will fluctuate according to many parameters, so it`s perfectly normal to see a deviation of +/- 2% Coconut Online is about the best as you can compare the battery ware against thousands of other Mac`s of the same model. I normal just check one or twice a month at very most. One of the aspects of owning a Mac is the simplicity and purity of design :apple:

Q-6

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, that is correct. I don't mean to offend, and it is good you are educating yourself on this, but don't overthink it. The battery will take care of itself. When you don't need to be on battery, just leave it plugged in and don't sweat it. The built in charging circuitry will prevent the battery from overcharging.

When you need to use it on battery, just go ahead and use it. No need to worry about percentages.

What you do not want to do is run it down on purpose only to recharge. This only uses additional charge cycles and reduces battery lifetime.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Here is the official information direct from Apple on batteries.

19. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

Thanks. I appreciate it. :)

20. blueeggs macrumors member

blueeggs

After 19 cycles, My late 2013 RMBP 13 is at 100 percent. It started out at 104 percent.

21. cmjars macrumors 6502

22. cmjars macrumors 6502

Ok my rMB is at 34 cycles and my Battery is 81% at 4323 mAh max. Should I make appointment with the Apple Genius?

23. w0rd3r macrumors regular

w0rd3r

Oh god, if you wait until it's under 80 you'll have a new one. But maybe you can negotiate right now to have a fresh battery since yours is decreasing really fast.

24. cmjars macrumors 6502

Well I have an appointment at 11:30am will let you know what they say.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Wondering if the un-vented heat from the processor is damaging the battery in the MB?