Macbook 2015 Battery Capacity degrading fast ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DAMNiatx, Jun 14, 2015.

1. cmjars macrumors 6502

I took my rMB in to the Genius Bar and they ran a test on it and it came back the battery is not function properly. The Genius said the specs are after a 1000 charges the battery would be 80% not 81% after 34 charges like mine. So they are replacing my battery. What's strange is two weeks ago it was 98% after 26 charges. In 14 days it went from 98%-81%.

2. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

mine is at 92.6% after 20 cycles, good thing I have Apple Care and that they just revised their battery warranty policy, no worries :cool:

3. Queen6, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Unlikely as the CPU has a very low power rating, even gaming I have not seen a battery overtemp warning. More like to be due to the manufacture of the battery it`s self, let hope it`s isolated to a single batch etc.

Q-6

4. mr_dillinga macrumors newbie

Hmm, well since I replied on Jun 28th with 7 cycles and 96.5% I'm now at 8 cycles and 93.4%. Not massive but not what I'd expect for 1 load cycle! Guess I'll wait and see if it gets anywhere near the 80% mark..

5. cottington macrumors member

2015 rMB here. My status is "Service Battery" and when I checked the battery health app it reports the health as only 67% after only 14 cycles:eek: Guess it's time for a Genius appointment. Anyone know how long a repair will take?

6. Ardral macrumors newbie

Ardral

When I receive it was at 98 %. Then after 1 night (1 cycle recharge) went directly to 90%.
    It's strange now the maximum charge is inconstant, one day return to 96% and another it place at 94%...always between 92% and 97% (34 cycles for now).

7. wowee macrumors member

weird. I have been having battery issues - less than expected life etc. My mac capacity was 92.7 % out of the box for a few weeks. Lame. But now its at 96%.

Is there a "break in period?"

- Scott

8. rajivhifi macrumors member

The Genius Bar replaced my entire laptop when I took it in at 93% after 20 cycles. I think its a larger manufacturing issue.

9. cmjars macrumors 6502

They probably wanted yours back so they could look into. They contacted engineering but they didn't want mine they said my replacement battery is from a new batch. 3-5 days to replace battery. When I took it in it had dropped to 78%.

10. cmjars macrumors 6502

Well they just called and the new battery is in but they were testing my rMB and the test show my trackpad is now failing. So a few more days and more new parts.

11. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

So many things not right with your macbook. This is worrisome...

12. nawoo macrumors regular

My battery capacity is now 88.8% after 60 cycles. Is that normal? Should i bring it to the Apple store to get it checked?

13. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

How long have you had this macbook for? 60 cycles - you have running this on battery quite a lot? You should just call Apple to check. They may ask you to bring it on for checking.

14. cmjars macrumors 6502

I would take it in and get it checked.

15. nawoo macrumors regular

Yeah because it's my main machine for the past month or so as my imac is in the repair center. I normally do film scanning on the imac but I now have to use the macbook for it, and i need the usb port in order to connect to the scanner, which means I can't keep it charged.

So i normally use it from 100% down to about 5%, before charging again.

Will bring it down to the apple store to take a look

I've had it for about 3 mths now

16. cmjars macrumors 6502

Even if they don't do anything it will be on file what the % is so when it drops more they will take care of it. Wouldn't be surprised if a recall on the batteries is coming.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Still think that the extra un-vented heat could be causing the batteries to degrade quicker, what else could it be as they use these batteries in all of their devices?

18. cmjars macrumors 6502

I'm think it's a problem with batteries that are supplied for rMB's. Hopefully just a bad batch.
    I did ask the Genius about the lack of a fan he didn't seem to think that was the problem. But who knows...

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just seems like a lot of people having the same problem

20. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

The CPU`s high temperature is very localised, and dissipated by the base of the MacBook. I have even tried 3D games on my 1.2 MacBook and Coconut Battery`s high temp waning has never triggered, equally it regularly triggers on my 15" MBP, this is why I doubt the battery failures are related to operating temperature.

As this is issue is isolated to relatively few systems, it`s more likely the "chemistry" was off on a few batches, as this is more inline with the technology and it`s potential failure mechanisms.

Q-6

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Hmmmm.

After suing my friends new MB for a few hours the whole bottom was pretty darn warm. Warmer than my MBPro 15 ever would get. Just saying:rolleyes:

22. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Be sure my 15" rMBP gets a lot hotter, between the power consumption of Quad Core CPU & dGPU, add in charging, the 90+ Watt/Hour battery. Same software on my rMBP`s & rMB will flag up high battery temp. Apple`s contractor screwed up on "X" number of rMB batteries, don't think it`s more complex than this.

If it was a design issue the Internet would be on fire, as Apple`s is a prime target. Forums draw those with issue we all know this. If the model didn't work it would also reflect across other Core M based Notebooks.

Q-6

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

We shall see but still think it could be a heating issue.

24. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

I have been really interested in this aspect of the new generation of fanless laptops. Fortunately, with my usage only being light, macbook only gets warm on the bottom when updating the system and big downloads. I suspect the heat spread across the bottom of the device will warm the batteries more than bigger fan based laptops, but whether this has any significant battery degradation is still to be seen. However, the iPad is similar in that it can warm up now and again and the battery is right beside the logic board, yet Ive never had any issues with the batteries (even an original iPad from 2011, still going strong)

Have to say, my previous rMBP and current Air hardly ever warm up at all (bottom plates always cool to touch).

Im currently on my 7th cycle and battery health is hovering around 95% (2 month old manufacture date). My Air is on 30 something cycles and is 12 months (manufacture date) old and is on ~95% also.

Some advice I keep hearing is

1) That its best to charge frequently and not to keep performing deep discharges (like 100 to 10 % 5 % etc). Only intentionally do a deep discharge every few months to keep the battery in calibration.

2) To not leave laptop plugged in all day every day.

3) To ensure batteries are not used, stored or charged at elevated temps (greater than 30oC ambient).

25. rajivhifi macrumors member

I do not feel heat is the cause of the battery degradation. My laptop was just fine in terms of temperature and taxation. I did not have any issue except for the battery.