Macbook 2015 Battery Capacity degrading fast ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DAMNiatx, Jun 14, 2015.

1. SBruv macrumors 6502a

Weirdly, my Maximum Charge now appears to be going up again… It's risen from 91% to 94% in the last three days. :-/

2. mafaky macrumors regular

mafaky

Happy week-end folks!...

Well, I don't have the 12" rMB and most probably will never own one. I'm pretty happy with my 13" rMBP battery. It's 2.8 years old, I've been actively using the laptop since 18 months. The battery stands at 150 cycles with %96.5 health (Coconut's readings). I guess I'm pretty lucky!:)

I have a question about charging the 12" rMB and hopefully someone can answer. This thread may not be the exact one; but couldn't find another one closer to my subject.

In a YouTube Video Review, I saw the reviewer saying "you can charge this rMB in 5-6 hrs. when it's inoperative (lid closed)" and using a standard external battery bank. [The nominal charge time from practically zero charge to 100% charge using the supplied proprietary charger is said to be 2.5 hrs.] These battery banks normally have a 5.0Vdc USB output (at different output current ratings...; this guy seems to be using the 2.1A output...). But the rMB is basically a 14.5Vdc/2.0A product. How can you charge a 14.5Vdc (nominal rating) product only with a 5.0Vdc source? o_O

3. Patches88 macrumors newbie

After getting the battery replaced on my 12" rMB on August 2nd, my battery health is down to 90% after 28 charge cycles.
    Anyone else have an update?

4. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    99.1% on 19 cycles, I tend not to deep discharge the battery, nor run it on the battery unless I need to. The charger, cable & adaptors all fit in the sleeve, so I plug it in when I can, and when there is no mains supply i don't worry about it.

Q-6

5. Cratus macrumors newbie

After 47 cycles coconut battery says it's down to 91% and the system report says it's nearly the same thing so coconut battery is accurate. They both say the battery is normal but isn't that bad?

6. wowee macrumors member

I had to return my Macbook due to a horrible battery that was degrading fast. The replacement they gave me had a much better initial battery capacity. It is now down to 93/94%. I have found El capitan to use more battery than Yosemite.

7. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Thank goodness I have not updated to El Cap yet. Will continue to wait...

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My next door neighbor has had his for a few months now with only 14 charge cycles and he is down to 82%. He is going to take it to Apple when he can get there but is a little disappointed.

9. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Not good, personally I think that some of the early rMB`s have issue with voltage regulators, which directly impacts the battery. My own rMB 1.2 is still looking good at 20 cycles @ 98.6%. He should definitely speak with Apple as there is clearly something wrong.

Q-6

10. wowee macrumors member

Just an update, My macbook Battery seems to be sitting at 95% now after 42 cycles. There was definitely something wrong with my initial macbook's battery. I wish this new one wasn't already down to 95% but i am still loving this little machine.

11. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

12. wowee macrumors member

I use battery Health app. My first computer was at 87% capacity out off the box

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

14. adonis3k macrumors 6502

Mine is down to 92.9% after 14 Cycle counts. Max cap 4919mAh. Is this good or bad? Using Coconutbatt to check

I am pretty sure there is some battery drain going on when the system is, anyone else had this?

Gone from 43% to 42% in roughly 8mins, without me even touching it?!

15. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502a

I'm at 55 cycles and have 87.7% of design capacity. What do y'all think? That's a lot of milliamps gone. By the way I never let the battery capacity get below 20%. It's always discharging from 100% to 20% and then back up.

16. adonis3k macrumors 6502

17. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I want to check my battery health, but quick question:

I've had my RMB for 6 months but have used it 100% on the Windows partition via Boot Camp, I don't use OSX at all.

If I want to check the health of my battery, can I use the Coconut app on the Mac side or because I haven't used that OS in months I need to get an app strictly for the Windows side?

Thanks.

BJ

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Coconut Battery will still give you the correct readings once you launch it over on the OS X side because the battery information is actually stored on the electronics of the battery itself and not in the OS. I don't even know if anybody makes a Windows utility that is capable of reading the Mac battery information.

19. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Thanks. Will try Coconut now.

Can someone tell me how to install an app in OSX?

BJ

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

@boltjames: Donwload it from here and then click on the icon. That is all.

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/#idDownload

Go here ^^ and download the app. That will give you a ZIP file in your downloads folder. Open the zip file then you will see a Finder window like this with the app already selected (blue highlight). Now just drag the app to the Applications folder on the left and you are done. Screen_Shot_2015-11-19_at_1_42_58_PM.png

22. art6969 macrumors newbie

damn

just 9 cycle and battery degrading to 94% already

23. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

Don't worry: it will go down again!
    Mine has been doing the same thing. Went from 94% down to 89% real fast (when I was at ca 80 cycles). Then it went up again during a couple of weeks all the way to 95% before it slowly went down again to 89-91% where I am now (at 124 cycles).
    I don't see any pattern. I use it on mains as much and often as I can but I have to use the battery a lot as well but almost never below 10%.
    Sometimes it looks like the temperature has some influence on the fluctuation but it is just guessing.
    In the meantime I am enjoying my machine.

24. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Entirely correct; temperature does have an effect on both measured battery capacity, charging & discharging time, and longevity; 6 months, 22 cycles, 98.6%

Given the rMB is passively cooled, elevating the rear goes a long way to improve ergonomics, cooling and potentially battery life...

Q-6