Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
London
I was in another thread and got thinking is the future of the MacBook air line and a full OSX tablet that some want.

My line of thinking is the 'Air' 'OSX' product label will soon be free as the retina MacBook takes over (I'm assuming the naming convention will go to just MacBook as opposed to the Air's direction).

Apple are good at keeping things simple and one thing we all saw was how confused people got over MS Surface RT which has resulted in them completely dropping the RT concept.

I think Apple being Apple they would not want to muddle up the 'iPad' name and have to explain why iPad apps don't work on this new 'ipad pro' version thus calling it something else all together would solve this. Add a familiar Mac name ala MacBook air with a new 'MacBook' design language as opposed the iDevice design language and you have a solid OSX table which should not confuse the masses.

This would allow Apple to redefine the Retina MacBook as the cheapest entry level MacBook/OSX products as component prices come down.

Your thoughts? could you see this happening?

akimoriRyuuji

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
It wasn't necessarily the naming that confused consumers. That it had the same interface, and could hardly be distinguished from its x86 counterpart were likely more of a problem. And the Surface was not originally called the Surface RT but simply 'Surface', powered by Windows RT (ARM); and there was 'Surface Pro', powered by Windows 8 (x86)

The iPad doesn't have a desktop mode, so I don't think anyone is likely to be confused.

They didn't drop Windows RunTime, by the way. It's what powers modern apps. Windows RT was simply a port of Windows to the ARM architecture and was so named most likely due to the fact that it could only run those modern apps using the RunTime.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
London
I can't see it happening, and wouldn't be interested if it did. ;)

Fair enough :D

I definitely feel it's the way to go, I remember reading the Ipad pro comments when it was released and the 'No OSX' no sale comments reverting from people and with the Surface products gaining traction particularly in the enterprise market they seem interested in these days it could work and keep IOS and OSX users happy (well sort of happy).

Three141

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
London
It wasn't necessarily the naming that confused consumers. That it had the same interface, and could hardly be distinguished from its x86 counterpart were likely more of a problem. And the Surface was not originally called the Surface RT but simply 'Surface', powered by Windows RT (ARM); and there was 'Surface Pro', powered by Windows 8 (x86)

The iPad doesn't have a desktop mode, so I don't think anyone is likely to be confused.

They didn't drop Windows RunTime, by the way. It's what powers modern apps. Windows RT was simply a port of Windows to the ARM architecture and was so named most likely due to the fact that it could only run those modern apps using the RunTime.

You're right the layout was problem they looked identical but the naming convention definitely fuelled the fire, it was one of the reasons behind the talks of having 'one windows' as they felt the software/product line was confusing.

Not sure if this was UK specific but it was sold as the Surface RT in the UK (http://www.tesco.com/direct/microsoft-surface-rt-106-32gb-tablet-inc-touch-keyboard/312-6770.prd)
The Surface was the x86 with windows 'home' edition and then Surface Pro.

The reason I could see the confusion to the 'it just works' could be things like the app store and association i.e IOS for mobile devices, calling an OSX tablet a MacBook Air Tablet keeps the lines clean so to speak.

I did not realise that WindowsRT was alive and well I thought they killed it thanks for nuggets.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
They wouldn't do it, because it would make too much sense to try to make something that would.

Apple would rather force you to buy two devices.

Reactions: Three141

akimoriRyuuji

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
You're right the layout was problem they looked identical but the naming convention definitely fuelled the fire, it was one of the reasons behind the talks of having 'one windows' as they felt the software/product line was confusing.

Hard to say; I happen to think the naming was second to the similar interface.

Not sure if this was UK specific but it was sold as the Surface RT in the UK (http://www.tesco.com/direct/microsoft-surface-rt-106-32gb-tablet-inc-touch-keyboard/312-6770.prd)
The Surface was the x86 with windows 'home' edition and then Surface Pro.

The naming changed. It was originally different. Also, I'm not sure what you meant about the x86 with Home edition part. x86 refers to the processor family line. That would be the 64-bit Intel x86... processor differentiated from the 32-bit Nividia ARM. Correct me if I'm mistaken regarding the manufacturer of the ARM version.

Windows 8 runs on x86 processors and Windows RT runs on ARM processors.

The reason I could see the confusion to the 'it just works' could be things like the app store and association i.e IOS for mobile devices, calling an OSX tablet a MacBook Air Tablet keeps the lines clean so to speak.

No, calling a 'OS X tablet' a 'Macbook Air tablet' does nothing of the sort. It makes it confusing. Apple made it very clear that Mac devices were separate from iDevices. Even though they released a more premium tablet that was meant for people to use it as their primary device, I do not believe that it was a move to merge the two.

Macbook is a play on Netbook. Air refers to its lightness. And a Macbook would have a clamshell lid. Seeing as its a 'book'.

OS X does not run on tablets nor is it optimized for them.

I did not realise that WindowsRT was alive and well I thought they killed it thanks for nuggets.

No, Windows RT is 'dead' but as an OS. There is no more support for it. But the Windows RunTime is where its name was derived. And the RunTime is still alive.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
OSX still doesn't have a good interface for touch, and it doesn't seem like Apple is going to change it that much.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
London
Hard to say; I happen to think the naming was second to the similar interface.

I remember the feedback from retailers at the time naming it Surface was confusing to the end user, I know the 'universal look' also played a part in the confusion but we saw with the Nokia Lumia 2520 with 8.1 RT that people understood it easier and naming/brand was a large part of that.

The naming changed. It was originally different. Also, I'm not sure what you meant about the x86 with Home edition part. x86 refers to the processor family line. That would be the 64-bit Intel x86... processor differentiated from the 32-bit Nividia ARM. Correct me if I'm mistaken regarding the manufacturer of the ARM version.

Windows 8 runs on x86 processors and Windows RT runs on ARM processors.

When I say x86 I'm thinking Wintel combination and respective OS versions that run on it.

You said it was originally called 'Surface' and changed to the Surface RT, I'm saying in the UK it was the originally called Surface RT and later merged into the Surface.
The naming change added to the confusion, as at the time they had an ARM and a Wintel version both called surface but only one could run Wintel programs.

No, calling a 'OS X tablet' a 'Macbook Air tablet' does nothing of the sort. It makes it confusing. Apple made it very clear that Mac devices were separate from iDevices. Even though they released a more premium tablet that was meant for people to use it as their primary device, I do not believe that it was a move to merge the two.

Macbook is a play on Netbook. Air refers to its lightness. And a Macbook would have a clamshell lid. Seeing as its a 'book'.

OS X does not run on tablets nor is it optimized for them.

MacBook is not a play on Netbook, Apple has been using 'Book' to describe their laptops before the Netbook phase (Powerbook).

You're right in calling it a book would not fit and Apple has done a good job separating OSX and IOS in the consumer minds but right now their tablets or 'touch screen' devices (excluding the watch) are all IOS devices.
A full OSX tablet will need a separate naming convention to ensure it's easy separation/identification.

OSX not being optimised does not mean it can't be, we've seen MS do it.

No, Windows RT is 'dead' but as an OS. There is no more support for it. But the Windows RunTime is where its name was derived. And the RunTime is still alive.

That makes sense.

Last edited:

Three141

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
London
OSX still doesn't have a good interface for touch, and it doesn't seem like Apple is going to change it that much.

Agreed, I do think Apple were/are still working on touchscreen for OSX purely based on one remark from Steve when he mentioned using a touch screen desktop (I'm assuming iMac prototype) made you want to saw your arms off.

akimoriRyuuji

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
OSX not being optimised does not mean it can't be, we've seen MS do it.

This I will contest if nothing else. I hardly find modern Windows (>8) to be optimized. It's an attempt at best. I would have been more content if Microsoft took a page from the modern web design and learned how to effectively apply a principle called 'responsive' and 'adaptive' layouts. That is, different form-factors and screen sizes require a webpage to change how it lays out things. This is done using CSS and @media queries. The base content (HTML) or structure stays the same, but the way it is displayed and interpreted is more meaningful to the situation. This means that you design a webpage to fit all scenarios; mobile, laptop, desktop, huge, small, non-touch and touch, etc.

The problem with modern Windows is that it uses one UI for all. And while it can adapt to the size of the screen or type of device, roughly the same interface is presented. They have gone back to change some of that stuff, but it's a change that needs to be done from the ground up.

Of course, this is highly subjective on my part to say that. But I feel that it doesn't quite fit the ticket.

And regardless of the UI, there are a whole host of problems. Never in my life have I used such a buggy, slow mess as Microsoft Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.