Macbook decals - lame or cool?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nexus14, Sep 27, 2010.

1. nexus14 macrumors member

Here's so decal examples http://www.etsy.com/shop/ExpendableDecals?page=1

There are many out there but I don't know if it's worth it to get one. Does it appear lame and tacky to any of you guys?

I don't plan on getting anything too outrageous like the Ironman one.

maybe some interesting phrase like this since i am a health professions student http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.178285788.jpg

or something simple like the stick figure http://www.etsy.com/listing/57460941/macbook-cool-stick-figure-vinyl-decal

or do you guys just prefer a naked macbook pro for a clean look?

also, how easy is it to remove these decals?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should do whatever pleases you. It doesn't matter what other people think, since everyone has a different opinion. Have the courage to be yourself. It's your MacBook.

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

I wouldn't have one. That said, the stick figure is clever. More importantly, if I were you I wouldn't care what anyone else thought of my MB. You want a sticker on it? Put a sticker on it. Put ten stickers on it, so long as they're the ten stickers you want.

4. Prhymeate macrumors member

i think they're tacky, but like GGJstudios said, it's your macbook. don't do it to please others.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Once GGJs joins us in the real world, he'll know thats not how it works ;)

But seriously, its up to the individual so do what you wish. For me, decals are cool as long as they are done tastefully; A clearly defined theme with attention to detail that accentuates the MBs design intent.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It works that way for anyone mature enough to realize that going through life trying to please other people is a great way to screw yourself up.

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

not giving a crap about what other people think, is also a great way to screw your life up.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true at all. It's very emotionally healthy to have the courage and independence to live your life based on your own set of values, rather than trying to please ever-changing public opinion.

9. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I would never get a tattoo, I feel the same way about putting stickers on my computers. Also, it destroys the resale value of your machine, so why would you ever want to do that? I would want to keep my machine 100% mint and fresh all the time, and I think these cheesy stickers destroy that aspect of your laptop's aesthetics.

10. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

I have one of these: http://yfrog.com/jq44344927j :D

I can see why people might think it's tacky, or akin to me vandalising my MBP, but like others have said, it's mine, and I've already heavily customised OS X, so why not customise the laptop itself too?

11. nexus14 thread starter macrumors member

nice i like it a lot! was it difficult putting it on? and if u ever wish to remove it, do you think it will be difficult? i heard these vinyl adhesives are pretty strong...

12. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

The machine will never be sold, only donated to a family member after 3-4 years of service, so I'm not bothered about the resale value. I doubt the recipient of the laptop will be too worried about the decal when they're getting a free laptop, either.

As for the aesthetics, I'm afraid arguments like that only encourage me to deface my MacBooks, just to give them a little slice of individuality. ;)

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I got on of these as soon as they came to market cos i liked em' and i stopped caring what most people think a long time ago.

I've also gotten tons of compliments/convo starters as a result, which suggest to me that majority don't find it 'tacky'. Then again i guess it depends on the design chosen and/or if you care.

PS Decals don't ruining resale value...they come off easily. Tatoos/poor stickers might tho.

14. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

two guys walk into a coffee shop wanting a job, one guy looks like this
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9Zf_P9g6cuo/SZUHgD32MnI/AAAAAAAADKg/QOneNevqMvY/s800/hot+emo+boy.jpg
    the other like this
    http://www.porterstudents.com/assets/1372/GUY_IN_HALLWAY.JPG

who do you think is more likely to get the job? hypothetically.

attempting to reflect public opinion, not insult a public group.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I just got the ironman decal today and its pretty nice, the cutout for the apple isnt perfect and it seems that it was designed for a 15" as it doesnt reach the bottom like pictures online, but good quality and looks cool. AND I dont care what you think ;)

16. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Cheers! I love MST3k, so I saw that sticker and just had to have one. :D

It took about five minutes to put it on, and it was a few days before the last bubbles all settled out, but they're not that difficult to apply. Place sheet on MB, rub down, peel backing, squish out all the bubbles you can get. Oh, and clean the lid with some kind of cleaning solution first!

As for removing it, it's not coming off in a hurry. I could probably remove it and clean the adhesive off with something like isoprop if I *really* wanted to, but you'd probably have to put more time into removing it than applying it.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Depends on the coffee shop. And we're talking about an object you buy, not personal appearance, hygiene, attitude, education, training, experience or the ability to get along well with people.

18. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

19. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

macs were made to have a sleek and cool design i wouldnt take that away:cool:

20. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

doesn't matter what it is, it reflects a case where the opinion of others matter!

21. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The top link says hot emo boy...haha and if you want I can post a picture of my ironman decal :)

22. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

well yea it your opinion because its yours but you can get advise from the opinion of others too.:)

23. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

hahaha, I just tried to find two average looking people from two different public groups.
    sure I'd like to see your decal. I was actually on the lookout for one.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Because a lot of people buy the computers for themselves, not the people who will be using it a few years down the road, and therefore use it the way they like.

25. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

exacly but make sure that what your doing to you and you onl:rolleyes:y and that you will have no regrets.