MacBook, MacBook Pro Forums - Separate or Together?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arn, Feb 27, 2008.

?

Separate or Together?

1. There should be two forums, one for MacBook, one for MacBook Pro

1,301 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. There should be one forum for both MacBook and MacBook Pro

595 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

A poll to see if people think the MacBook and MacBook Pro forums should be seperate or together.

2. DocSmitty macrumors regular

But what about all those "MB or MBP Convince me!!!" posters.. where will their poor exploding heads post? :(;)

3. slybeans macrumors member

the forum they ppost in is the one they want the most ;p

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I like them apart. :)

I actually thought about asking for a split a couple of days ago, pondering over why the air had gotten its own forum, while the regular MB and MBP had to "share"... I think one for each makes more sense and I've yet to see lots and lots of threads that cannot be placed in one or the other...

Maybe we could use an additional Notebooks accessories forum?

<cough>Buying tips, advice and discussion</cough>

5. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Those are better in the Buying Advice forum anyway, IMHO.

6. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Definitely split them apart for the simple fact that the MacBook Air got its own forum while us elitist, hard working, high earning MacBook Pro owners had to sweat it out with the cheap ass proles that make up the MacBook demographic. Yuck! :D

On the other hand if you take into account current political events with the whole Kosovo split and its potential reverberations, how long before the Mac Mini forum wants to be independent of the iMac forum? Or what about Mac Rumors Page 2 splitting into an autonomous entity from Page 1? Could this be the warning bell for the breaking apart of the whole Mac Rumors site ... :eek:

7. YJCTKE macrumors newbie

I concur with Neutral Gamer: Excellent comparative analysis!

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As long as there is a forum for general portable issues as well, then separate them.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Such as...?

10. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

There should be seperate forums like now, but people should also be able to post in the "Notebooks" Forum, for anything involving combinations of MBP, MB, MBA.

So it should go

Mac Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks
    > Macbook
    > Macbook Pro
    > Macbook Air
    --------------------------
    Posts for general Apple notebooks here.

Or, when a picture is worth a thousand words, look below!

Attached Files:

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

And separate the Mini and the iMac.

Keep the MBA separate from the MB too (as it is now).

Thanks Mods!

12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

something tells me that won't work so well, would actually end up being abused, and would confuse users.

13. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The problem with the way it is right now is that it actually confuses users because you are able to enter a sort of 'portal' by clicking on 'Notebooks' but you don't get any extra information by doing this.

14. johndoe588 macrumors regular

I have a MacBook but am always considering a Pro, so I liked having the different posts together. I didn't mind shifting through to find relevent MB stuff, and often took a look at interesting Pro posts.

John B.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What about those poor people who ask for:
    - which HD should I get
    - which HD should I upgrade to
    - can I upgrade my HD
    - 5400 vs 7200rpm drives
    - 7200rpm vs 5400rpm drives
    - 7200rpm power utilization
    - HD benchmarks
    - etc.

... which can be answered by a single page (and there are number of sites out there that already do a good job).

By splitting the notebook threads the number of above posts might double, because it seems that if people don't see what they are looking for within the newest 5 threads, they would post a new thread.

16. mvaj92 macrumors member

What about a forum for owners of previous generation notebooks? It seems they have been left out of this new forum reorganization.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Was it that it used to be all the mac laptops would be in one thread? Now PowerBook and iBook people have no home???

18. macrockbuddy macrumors member

Separate

MacBook needs its own forum. The down to earth vs the pretentious

Just kidding, but I'd be nice when looking for specific topics

19. bbeers macrumors regular

bbeers

mmmm Macintosh Portable

What about the Macintosh Portable owners? They don't have a home either. Not that I think there are many around.

Macintosh Portable for the youngins that don't know of them.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Split 'em up...

and send 'em to their respective corners (come out swinging and no kicking or biting). Since I own two MacBooks, I find it difficult at times to skip over the MBP threads, also I notice they don't go away (they stay dark blue unless I click on them) and I like to click on the MB threads that I'm interested (which is usually ALL of them) in v. scrolling past ten MBP threads that "maybe they are MBP threads or maybe they are MB threads," 'cause sometimes I can't tell from the title or tag line. We need some help here ARN!(Just kidding). My two cents and some. :p

21. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I voted for one forum, as it's easier to browse the discussions. A lot of threads crossover/apply to both MBs and MBPs, so it's nice to have a glimpse at thread titles and see what's being discussed.

22. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

It appears the mods have listened (and quickly) because the f=90 bookmark I have states only "Macbook Pro" as the page title and the "Notebooks" section now lists all three models. I have to say it's really refreshing to see an organization reach to its users with such speed.

Rock on.

23. Animalk macrumors 6502

Clicking the notebook section, in my opinion, should give you a combination of the three sub-forums (MB + MBP + MBA) where the threads are ordered by latest post (as usual) regardless of which sub-forum they belong too.

The MacBook vs. MacBook Pro questions belong in the "Buying tips, Advice and Discussion" forum in my opinion.

The only thing is you must realize that you are partitioning up your users from what was one very active forum to several sub-forums and this will result in a slowdown of posting. This is due to less people interacting with each other. Many people with one particular model notebook will not often venture into the other notebook model sub-forum(s) and this will result in less interaction and hence less posting.

But given that you have about 300 to 400 people surfing these 3 sub forums at any moment, I would not be worried by any such slow down in activity.

I say leave them apart but make the "Notebooks" link point to an aggregate of the three sub-forums ordered by latest post. This will give people who are interested in more then one sub-forum the ability to easily browse the threads.

EDIT: ibook belongs with MB and PowerBook belongs with MBP naturally.

24. bananas macrumors 6502

bananas

separate makes sense

Since MBA already has it's own forum, it would make sense to split MB and MBP forums too. but OTOH I'm interested in all Apple notebooks, so for me personally it would be OK to have them all-in-one :)

BTW I just ordered a MBA -Apple's strategy to not redesign the MB and MBP seems to be working-

25. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Arn,

I think the separation done the other day was great. Allowing MB, MBP, and MBA to have their own boards help users find and ask questions directly. Since there are enough users browsing all three products there won't be a lack of answers but rather a more efficient path to those answer.