Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Big Guy

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
I am waiting for someone to try to connect a BizonBox 3 to the new Macbook Pro 15" before I buy it. I found on their website that 40Gbps speed is only supported on active cables no longer than 0.5m. That might be the reason why some of you only see 20Gbps. I know there are cheaper options like the Node but Id rather have a plug and play solution. Plus they also have 2 year warranty. Also note that the Nvidia 10XX (Pascal series) graphics cards are only supported using bootcamp for now.

https://support.bizon-tech.com/hc/e...ng-different-lengths-of-Thunderbolt-3-cables-

The Big Guy

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
Bison uses the same PCIe & Thunderbolt 3 board as AKiTiO Node.
Yes I am aware of that. But if you use Mac OS with it at least Bizon takes care of the code automatically. It's just a preference. I don't like to mess around with that stuff.

theitsage

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Until Apple officially implements eGPU, it's going to be a workaround regardless of which solution you choose. There are at least two variables which dictate whether an eGPU is functional in macOS.

- Blessings from Intel and Apple in terms of licensing and macOS updates.
- GPU drivers.

Intel has only licensed Thunderbolt eGPU to a select few manufacturers. Bizon is not one of them. It's only a matter of time before Intel sends a cease and desist letter to these guys. Same thing happened to the Wolf kickstarter.

The codes/patches Bizon provides are the work of the eGPU community.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I am waiting for someone to try to connect a BizonBox 3 to the new Macbook Pro 15" before I buy it. I found on their website that 40Gbps speed is only supported on active cables no longer than 0.5m. That might be the reason why some of you only see 20Gbps. I know there are cheaper options like the Node but Id rather have a plug and play solution. Plus they also have 2 year warranty. Also note that the Nvidia 10XX (Pascal series) graphics cards are only supported using bootcamp for now.

https://support.bizon-tech.com/hc/e...ng-different-lengths-of-Thunderbolt-3-cables-
First of all, 40Gbps is supported on passive cables up to 0.5m. Active cables don't have bandwidth limit at all (although there're just no copper active cables longer than 2m)

And 20Gbps is listed in System Information when no cable or device is connected

voxtro

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Until Apple officially implements eGPU, it's going to be a workaround regardless of which solution you choose. There are at least two variables which dictate whether an eGPU is functional in macOS.

- Blessings from Intel and Apple in terms of licensing and macOS updates.
- GPU drivers.

Intel has only licensed Thunderbolt eGPU to a select few manufacturers. Bizon is not one of them. It's only a matter of time before Intel sends a cease and desist letter to these guys. Same thing happened to the Wolf kickstarter.

The codes/patches Bizon provides are the work of the eGPU community.

Do you know the companies licensed for Thunderbolt eGPU? I assume the Node is licensed at least to work with Windows eGPU.

TheMarkness

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Reporting in here. Razer Core + GTX 1080 + MBP 2016 15 w/ Radeon Pro 460 puring along smooth in Windows 10 Bootcamp. Had to apply a DSDT to move some PCIe resources into a higher memory pool (error 12 not enough resources / no free resources).

So far I've played Battlefield 1, Overwatch, DOOM, various Vive VR games, and various Rift VR games without any issues. Speed / performance feels exactly the same as my Razer Blade 14 2016 w/ the Razer Core + 1080 hooked up.

If your interested in the DSDT fix, this works across any eGPU and any model Mac having issues. This has been a eGPU issue for some time on device allocating resources a certain way https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/.

Cheers everyone :D!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Reporting in here. Razer Core + GTX 1080 + MBP 2016 15 w/ Radeon Pro 460 puring along smooth in Windows 10 Bootcamp. Had to apply a DSDT to move some PCIe resources into a higher memory pool (error 12 not enough resources / no free resources).

So far I've played Battlefield 1, Overwatch, DOOM, various Vive VR games, and various Rift VR games without any issues. Speed / performance feels exactly the same as my Razer Blade 14 2016 w/ the Razer Core + 1080 hooked up.

If your interested in the DSDT fix, this works across any eGPU and any model Mac having issues. This has been a eGPU issue for some time on device allocating resources a certain way https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/.

I'm looking forward to trying the new BizonBox Thunderbolt 3 when it is released... Works on Mac and Windows software?

theitsage

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
AKiTiO posted an update about the Node and its Thunderbolt 3 device compatibility with Late 2016 MacBook Pro. It's bad news - https://www.akitio.com/blog/articles/akitio-thunderbolt3-devices-macbook-pro
Akitio-Thunder3-unsupported.png

Apple built a restriction in macOS to prevent most Thunderbolt 3 devices from working. Kid2010 on netkas forum found a workaround which involves hex edit of IOThunderboltFamily kext controller file.
Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 6.48.24 PM.png

I was able to make my non-touchbar MBP to work with the AKiTiO Thunder3 which has the same Thunderbolt 3 board as the AKiTiO Node. It's showing progress but things are not running well.
Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.15.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou-X and killawat

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Connecting an external monitor would freeze the laptop. OpenCL apps would run initially then lock up after 10 seconds.

Is this in clamshell mode, or with both the internal display + external display being driven?

Might be worth trying just clamshell mode.

theitsage

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Thunder3 doesn't work in clamshell mode. Sleep mode with an eGPU attached triggers a kernel panic.

I notice the enclosure provides 15W through the Thunderbolt 3 cable. While it doesn't charge the laptop, it provides just enough power so that the battery isn't used. With my Thunder2 enclosure attached, the MBP's battery drains really quick.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I notice the enclosure provides 15W through the Thunderbolt 3 cable. While it doesn't charge the laptop, it provides just enough power so that the battery isn't used. With my Thunder2 enclosure attached, the MBP's battery drains really quick.
Are you using default MBP charger as well? If so, is it connected to the same side as eGPU? I read that MBP can't charge from more than 1 port and will pick up the one with more power available.

theitsage

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Are you using default MBP charger as well? If so, is it connected to the same side as eGPU? I read that MBP can't charge from more than 1 port and will pick up the one with more power available.

I didn't try with MBP charger at the same time. I only had the Thunder3 eGPU plugged into one Thunderbolt 3 port. The other port was empty.

The charging sound would come on when I insert the cable but the laptop would not charge because of the 15W provided through the eGPU.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
That's weird what AKiTiO said.

I've read somewhere that 2016 MBPs are working with eGPU cases like Razer Core in Boot Camp. As for macOS, I've also read it wasn't supported at the moment (although Netkas has published a recent solution from a forum member).

Have you tested your Thunder3 on Boot Camp?

enjoy87

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016

Can you use Macbook Retina display or you must use external display ONLY ?

TheMarkness

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Can you use Macbook Retina display or you must use external display ONLY ?

To be honest not 100% sure, using the internal display on the Razer Blade lost about 15%-20% performance sending the information back to the internal display. On this with the DSDT fix I note that the AMD dGPU is kept enabled and assigned to the internal display (nvidia control panel doesn't have it listed) and the external is set to the Core / eGPU so I'm not 100% sure.

enjoy87

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
I recall it's possible to use built-in display with eGPU acceleration on iGPU-only models in Windows.

Proof: https://odd-one-out.serek.eu/windows-10-egpu-setup-optimus/
I guess there're a few threads on techinferno as well. You need no dGPU and nVidia Optimus support. Don't remember details about ATI cards.

I have the mid-2012 Retina with Nvidia GT650M 1GB so i can use the eGPU ONLY via external display, there is no way to use it my internal Retina Display, but why, can i disable the GT650M and use the eGPU?

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I have the mid-2012 Retina with Nvidia GT650M 1GB so i can use the eGPU ONLY via external display, there is no way to use it my internal Retina Display, but why, can i disable the GT650M and use the eGPU?
iGPU has to be visible AND operational in Windows in order to activate Optimus and use built-in screen with eGPU, but afaik you still can't do it. The reason is proprietary hardware that's implemented by Apple for hard-switching between iGPU and dGPU.

I have a similar rMBP and made native UEFI installation of Win 8 on my external SSD three years ago. Windows was able to detect iGPU, but it'd never load after you actually install drivers for it.

And if you use default bootcamp installation with BIOS emulation, then it'd forever hide both multiplexor and iGPU from Windows and leave dGPU as the only graphics card

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
To be honest not 100% sure, using the internal display on the Razer Blade lost about 15%-20% performance sending the information back to the internal display. On this with the DSDT fix I note that the AMD dGPU is kept enabled and assigned to the internal display (nvidia control panel doesn't have it listed) and the external is set to the Core / eGPU so I'm not 100% sure.

So you need an external display for this to work? Can you give details as to what you did to get it to work. The previous post with instructions doesn't really make sense.

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
AKiTiO posted an update about the Node and its Thunderbolt 3 device compatibility with Late 2016 MacBook Pro. It's bad news - https://www.akitio.com/blog/articles/akitio-thunderbolt3-devices-macbook-pro
View attachment 673972
Apple built a restriction in macOS to prevent most Thunderbolt 3 devices from working. Kid2010 on netkas forum found a workaround which involves hex edit of IOThunderboltFamily kext controller file. View attachment 673973
I was able to make my non-touchbar MBP to work with the AKiTiO Thunder3 which has the same Thunderbolt 3 board as the AKiTiO Node. It's showing progress but things are not running well. View attachment 673974
Theitsage thank you for your updates, I'm following you in this.
I'm taking in consideration the nTB mbp and the node or a future version of eGPU. Do you think the base nTB is good for a setup with a eGPU? possible cpu bottleneck?

I would love to have this 13' on the go and a setup at home with a good external display (1 or 2 4k maybe?) . Actually I think having it working only in bootcamp would be enough to me.

What kind of gpu do you think would work best?

Cheers

seawise

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
Will Pascal (and future) external Thunderbolt 3 cards will be ever supported by macOS (and not booting into Windows on Mac)?

What's the roadblock for it? macOS itself? NVIDIA drivers? (Macbook Pro) hardware?

Can anyone explain?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Will Pascal (and future) external Thunderbolt 3 cards will be ever supported by macOS (and not booting into Windows on Mac)?

What's the roadblock for it? macOS itself? NVIDIA drivers? (Macbook Pro) hardware?

Can anyone explain?

Even Maxwell isn't properly supported. The device IDs for the cards were 'enabled' in Nvidia's web driver but the Maxwell support itself stayed in beta with no official support listed. As far as Nvidia's driver development is concerned, there has been no real progress since Kepler because Apple isn't buying their chips at the moment for a number of competitive and political reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.