Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
You could get a laptop for half the price that achieves the same benchmarks.

I wonder why people spend so much on a mac.

Same reason why ppl spend money on Porsches when they can get to the corner store in a Chevy just as easily.
It's a luxury item, and as such, you get what you pay for. Quality. Design. Elegance.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Is the ATI 6750m better than the ATI 4850m (iMac Late 2009)?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know whether I should switch from my iMac late 2009 (i7, 8GB Ram, 4850m, 1TB HDD) and my MacBook Air 13" Best Specs to the new MBP 15"?! I would like to know whether the 6750 is faster than the 4850 or not?! I think the 4850 is faster. What do you think/know?!

Thx for the help!

I'm a bit late to replying, but anyway the ATI 4850 is still much faster than the ATI 6750.

You cannot use desktop benchmarks blindly and hope to get any reliable indication on how laptop cards compare with each other. While they may have the same name, the chip can be very very different.

Example: A desktop 4870 has 800 shader cores, and a 5870 has 1600 shader cores. The desktop 5870 performs about ~80% faster than the 4870. On the other hand, a mobility 4870 has 800 shader cores, whereas a mobility 5870 also has 800 shader cores. The mobility 5870 performs about ~5% faster than the 4870.

Looking back at the mobility 4850 and the mobility 6750: The 4850 has 800 shader cores while the 6750 has 480 shader cores. You can expect the 4850 to outperform the 6750 easily by a wide margin. I'm estimating by about 40% going by the maths.

jake85

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
thank you so much everyone, i have been looking for this kind of posts since the new macbook pro came out.

i am thinking of getting a macbook pro i7 2.2ghz 15" 6750m 1gb with hi-res screen and SSD,

however i'd like to know if anyone here could test or share a link about the benchmarks and results on playing wow @ 1650x1050 High... i am really interested on the results....

because if the fps is too low (under 40) on high @ 1650x1050 then i dont think I will order the hi-res screen but stick with the stock 1440x900 but just upgrade to SSD.

thanks in advance :D

barthq

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
dont understand why people need to play in the native resolution. I got the high res aswell but i wont game in anything more than 1440x900. For games the downscaling is no problem at all.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Native resolution simply looks best, resolution is the most obvious aspect of the game's aesthetic. Native res is not a must for me but I try if possible.

julian-nold

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Native resolution simply looks best, resolution is the most obvious aspect of the game's aesthetic. Native res is not a must for me but I try if possible.

I totally agree, native without AA, in my opinion, looks always better than any lower resolution with max AA :) But eg with Crysis you will need 1GB videoram for > 1280x720 (very high)

It's an old game that no one ever plays anymore.

...and still there is no MacBook that can outmax the "so old" Crysis ;)

Greetings

Last edited:

ZombieZakk

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Sorry for going a little off topic, but can someone tell me if the difference between the 6490M and the 6750M will matter to my computer usage if I do not care about gaming? I would like to be able to play Blu-ray Discs and other HD video material (and edit it) and would be doing some Photoshop.

Thank you.

you realize the macbook pro does not have a blu-ray player correct? youll be able to edit HD video fine but if your looking to pop in blu-ray movies you wont be able to.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Isnt it possible to overclock directly in the Catalyst Control Center ?
Didnt use an ATI for like 5 years, i guess i am kind of out of the loop :p

Yes, it's called OverDrive, don't use it (general rule of thumb, avoid first party overclocking utilities). Instead, use a 3rd party overclocking tool.

dont understand why people need to play in the native resolution. I got the high res aswell but i wont game in anything more than 1440x900. For games the downscaling is no problem at all.

Native resolution on an LCD is a must in-terms of quality. Guess quality is a matter of personal opinion. In my opinion, any non native resolution on an LCD looks horrible.

ChronoIMG

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
San Francisco, CA
You could get a laptop for half the price that achieves the same benchmarks.

I wonder why people spend so much on a mac.
Blah, blah, blah, blah. Why are you here if you don't understand why people spend so much on a Mac? I'm seriously sick of you "ritards" coming into these threads and telling everyone how you don't understand people's purchasing habits, behaviors, or logic in buying an expensive computer. Gtfo and go buy a $300 Black Friday laptop at Wally World. Enjoy that POS.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Interesting info on the heat in the 2011 13. Have not seen that. U have a link?

Thanks
http://www.notebookjournal.de/tests...macbook-pro-13-3-early-2011-mc724da-nkst-1305
It is German though but you can still read the numbers.
They are basically complaining that the CPU often starts to throttle. Turbo kicks in heats it up really fast and than CPUs are too high the CPU throttles back to 800 Mhz. It may just be some driver problem but it seems Apple just used the same cooling system that worked will with the <25W TDP C2D and put in new CPUs that even exceed their 35 TDP fo a short time and the cooling system doesn't ramp fast enough.
I know this from my system when I did some overclocking on my i5 15" 330M I tried a furmark run but stopped it. Because the temps kept increasing to dangerous levels but the fans ramp up with a slight delay. Stops annoying Fan behavior and it is likely intend by Apple but it is very dangerous to do with furmark or these new CPUs.
Even if they get this under control with an update it still means the cooling system now has a lot more to handle than what it used too.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
http://www.notebookjournal.de/tests...macbook-pro-13-3-early-2011-mc724da-nkst-1305
It is German though but you can still read the numbers.
They are basically complaining that the CPU often starts to throttle. Turbo kicks in heats it up really fast and than CPUs are too high the CPU throttles back to 800 Mhz. It may just be some driver problem but it seems Apple just used the same cooling system that worked will with the <25W TDP C2D and put in new CPUs that even exceed their 35 TDP fo a short time and the cooling system doesn't ramp fast enough.
I know this from my system when I did some overclocking on my i5 15" 330M I tried a furmark run but stopped it. Because the temps kept increasing to dangerous levels but the fans ramp up with a slight delay. Stops annoying Fan behavior and it is likely intend by Apple but it is very dangerous to do with furmark or these new CPUs.
Even if they get this under control with an update it still means the cooling system now has a lot more to handle than what it used too.

Furmark is a terrible tool that tells you nothing. Even gaming rigs like the g73, M15x and M17x throttle under that test.

Very few real world applications load a pc like that.

Superhero360

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
Hey,

very interesting post. I was looking for a report like that.
Now I didn't see what drivers did you use?
I installed Catalyst 11.2 on my iMac on Windows 7 64 bit and had much better results and smoother frame rates then with older drivers before.

I have the 2009 iMac 27" i7 (2,8Ghz) with 8GB RAM and AMD 4850 (M) and I am hopefully getting my MacBook Pro 17" i7 2,2GHz with 8GB RAM and 512 GB SSD next week.

Results are in 3DMark Vantage with my iMac i7 as follows:

Score: 7048
GPU: 5853
CPU: 18199

I was thinking that the 6750 would smoke the 4850 or be at least a little better?
Did you use the latest Catalyst drivers too? Because the Apple ATI drivers suck big time.

Attachments

• Results iMac.JPG
    Results iMac.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 168

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Quality. Design. Elegance.

Quality?

Same laptop.

Actually, have you ever seen one of those 2011 Macbook Pros inside?

Check it out

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Early-2011-Teardown/4990/1

Look at all this Thermal goop they put on there

xjEFKC4TRB6NEiqS.huge

A Thinkpad is much more quality than a Macbook Pro and it won't cut your wrists when you type.

also, the Macbook sacrifices design (logical design) for looks.

If you look at the upcoming T420s THinkpad, you can see how they put the USB ports (USB 3.0 BTW) on top of each other.

Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420s.jpg

That way you can put 2 USB cords there. In the Macbook they are all next to each other and many times you can't put USB cords next to each other.

Sacrifice logic for looks.

The e420s has a much better keyboard than the Macbook

thinkpad%20e420s%202.png

See how the keys are nicely dipped and have the perfect bounce to them (if you ever try one you'll see what I mean), and a nice rubberized surface so that your wrists don't get all cut up when you type

macbook-slit-wrists.jpg

Again, Apple sacrificing utility for looks and charging you twice as much.

Last edited:

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Same reason why ppl spend money on Porsches when they can get to the corner store in a Chevy just as easily.

Not at all. You are wrong.

The Laptops I am comparing the Macbook to have the exact same hardware inside.

So your comparison of a porsche with some Chevy is completely wrong.

I am saying you can get a much better designed laptop and the exact same hardware inside for almost half the price. AND they include a Laptop Bag...

Also, the Macbook 2011 claims 7 hours battery life.

The T420s, just as an example, runs up to 10 hours, and if you buy the extra battery slice it can be up to 30 hours!

SSD, Switchable graphics, Sandy Bridge, etc etc,. You can customize it.

T420-520-Datasheet-1.jpg

How's that Porsche vs. Chevy?

Beats me.

Actually, the T420 beats the Macbook any day.

and to be fair, this particular Thinkpad T series costs as much as a Macbook Pro. and, IMO, much more worth the price.

Last edited:

ChronoIMG

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Quality?

Same laptop.

Actually, have you ever seen one of those 2011 Macbook Pros inside?

Check it out

Look at all this Thermal goop they put on there

A Thinkpad is much more quality than a Macbook Pro and it won't cut your wrists when you type.

also, the Macbook sacrifices design (logical design) for looks.

If you look at the upcoming T420s THinkpad, you can see how they put the USB ports (USB 3.0 BTW) on top of each other.

That way you can put 2 USB cords there. In the Macbook they are all next to each other and many times you can't put USB cords next to each other.

Sacrifice logic for looks.

The e420s has a much better keyboard than the Macbook

See how the keys are nicely dipped and have the perfect bounce to them (if you ever try one you'll see what I mean), and a nice rubberized surface so that your wrists don't get all cut up when you type

Again, Apple sacrificing utility for looks and charging you twice as much.
Awesome, so glad you came back to post this bs.

I have a MacBook Pro and a Thinkpad sitting right next to me. Let's review...

I've had the MBP for 4 years. It's been serviced twice due to an nVidia issue. Covered by Apple both times, no issues whatsoever, free of charge. Still works fine, no issues after the repair, same machine just new motherboards each time.

Thinkpad, what a complete POS. The first one I had had the fans fail and almost melted itself. Had an IBM support person physically come to my house and I watched him disassemble it piece by piece. He replaced fans and other parts. He then "attempted" to reassemble it. Hahaha what a joke, all that plastic just would not sit right and the keyboard was never the same. I turned it back in for a new one. It's also a piece of junk, slow a hell, and it runs Windows XP... oh ya, what a crap fest.

So, two laptops, one by IBM (Lenovo) and one by Apple. Both had QA issues, Apple fixed the MBP without any issues i.e. the machine functioned the exact same once I got it back and the Thinkpad was broken the second the dude opened it up so I had to physically get a completely new machine.

Considering iFixIt's sample size is ONE I don't think it holds any mustard whatsoever. Every technology device can and will fail at some point. Your precious iPhone will fail ajarnfalang and what are you going to do then? Switch to Droid? Please do, gtfo out of these forums you troll and please stop using Apple products.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

The Laptops I am comparing the Macbook to have the exact same hardware inside.

So your comparison of a porsche with some Chevy is completely wrong.

I am saying you can get a much better designed laptop and the exact same hardware inside for almost half the price. AND they include a Laptop Bag...

Also, the Macbook 2011 claims 7 hours battery life.

The T420s, just as an example, runs up to 10 hours, and if you buy the extra battery slice it can be up to 30 hours!

SSD, Switchable graphics, Sandy Bridge, etc etc,. You can customize it.

Beats me.

Maybe you should go back and read the topic of the thread. Post your bs elsewhere, preferably here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/

No one wants to read it because if people were interested in Lenovo and not a MBP, they wouldn't be here.

At least take it to your own thread.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
If anyone cuts their wrists when they type they have to be pressing their wrists/arms pretty hard into the laptop to do that. I've had a MacBook for four and a half years now and have yet to cut myself on it.

Looking at that spec sheet I don't see USB 3.0 anywhere. HDD and SSD are smaller as they come and don't scale up as much in size as Apple's options, and the monitors are 16:9, which a number of people on MR have complained about.

So far the T420 isn't impressing me at all – not from your propounding it.

Last edited:

computertechno

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
I agree you can get a lot of the same specs, but you are not getting any Thunderbolt anytime soon. Now if you ever had to deal with huge photo, design and movie editing you know you cant do that with any PC laptop. Thunderbolt alone is a reason to get this mac and not a lenovo.

Beats me.

and to be fair, this particular Thinkpad T series costs as much as a Macbook Pro. and, IMO, much more worth the price.

really? much more worth the price? One word: thunderbolt.. when they come out with those in the thinkpad then come back here and let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Awesome, so glad you came back to post this bs.

I have a MacBook Pro and a Thinkpad sitting right next to me. Let's review...

I've had the MBP for 4 years. It's been serviced twice due to an nVidia issue. Covered by Apple both times, no issues whatsoever, free of charge. Still works fine, no issues after the repair, same machine just new motherboards each time.

Thinkpad, what a complete POS. The first one I had had the fans fail and almost melted itself. Had an IBM support person physically come to my house and I watched him disassemble it piece by piece. He replaced fans and other parts. He then "attempted" to reassemble it. Hahaha what a joke, all that plastic just would not sit right and the keyboard was never the same. I turned it back in for a new one. It's also a piece of junk, slow a hell, and it runs Windows XP... oh ya, what a crap fest.

So, two laptops, one by IBM (Lenovo) and one by Apple. Both had QA issues, Apple fixed the MBP without any issues i.e. the machine functioned the exact same once I got it back and the Thinkpad was broken the second the dude opened it up so I had to physically get a completely new machine.

Considering iFixIt's sample size is ONE I don't think it holds any mustard whatsoever. Every technology device can and will fail at some point. Your precious iPhone will fail ajarnfalang and what are you going to do then? Switch to Droid? Please do, gtfo out of these forums you troll and please stop using Apple products.

Yea right...

Let's assume for a second you are actually telling the truth,

I could find you thousands of pissed off EX Macbook owners that had nothing but problems with their Macbook since day 1 and will never ever buy another Macbook again.

Every single laptop manufacturer has similar stories.

Everyone that knows anything about computers know that Thinkpads are awesome laptops.

My friend in Ireland bought a crappy Compaq for a few hundred dollars 3 years ago and his brother is still using it in Ireland with no issues. My friend has moved on to a Lenovo (Not the Thinkpad) and it is very happy with it.

I have an ASUS. Excellent laptop.

My friend had a Powerbook. Will never buy another overprice Apple laptop again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.