Macbook Pro 16' Loud crack (not known speaker issue)

luckylegion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
Second time iv just noticed my macbook make a loud crack sound that i could literally feel with my hands on the chassis. Was very loud and only lasted a second. The laptop was opened while cold to the touch and then 25 mins in into use it happened. Not a huge issue but curious if like coil whine its a common issue.

Issues like this are a nightmare to talk to apple about because its hard to replicate or diagnose

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Haven't heard of that. On the latter point, you could start recording your work sessions until it happens. Video with sound works for talking to Apple.

Itada

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2019
If it's one or two isolated loud crack/pop noises as it gets warmer, that's been a thing since the Touch Bar 15" models too, and it happened for the entire life of my 2016 TB 15" (before I sold it). It's something to do with the screen glass or display assembly, apparently. Here's another thread discussing it with a video, where you can hear the loud pop/crack noise happen at 1m43s:

Reactions: Sanpete

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
If it's one or two isolated loud crack/pop noises as it gets warmer, that's been a thing since the Touch Bar 15" models too, and it happened for the entire life of my 2016 TB 15" (before I sold it). It's something to do with the screen glass or display assembly, apparently. Here's another thread discussing it with a video, where you can hear the loud pop/crack noise happen at 1m43s:

Yes, I have a similar issue with my MBP 2017. Especially when getting from colder to warmer. As soon as the whole chassis gets the room temperature those cracking sounds stop. It is a small but yet quite annoying (loud) issue.