Macbook pro 2018 15' fan always on and warm when on sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bonjourx, Oct 27, 2018.

1. bonjourx macrumors regular

bonjourx

Hello, I have a new MacBook Pro 2018 15inch 2.6ghz 16gb, 512gb. I only received it yesterday but I didn't really get to use it and check it out that much yet. However, I've noticed today that it was warm when I touch my laptop on the top of the lid while it was closed (it is plugged in), then I checked the bottom part of it and I was so surprised that it was even warmer. I opened it and I don't have any applications running. Also, I downloaded system pal yesterday and I noticed that the fan is always on whether I use the laptop or not, I've tried to read about it but I've read in some forum that its normal that the fan is always on. is that true??

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

My 2013 MacBook Pro becomes warm in sleep mode sometimes too.

3. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

That doesn’t sound right to me. However, there are operations the system can perform even with the lid closed, and perhaps it was doing these tasks with your new system, like backing up your photo library to iCloud.

4. Miltz macrumors 6502a

5. bonjourx thread starter macrumors regular

bonjourx

so I've researched about it and I've removed the enable power nap last night and left it overnight unplugged. to my surprise this morning my battery was still at 99%. I guess it was the power nap thats making my laptop warm.

6. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I’m gonna turn off PowerNap too. Thanks for the reminder